I Finally Got My BIG Cabinet Back!

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I used to use my Ampeg 8x10 cabinet in an older version of one of the bands I play bass with. The cabinet resided in the band trailer with all the PA gear. We broke up, and I didn't have any place to keep it at my house, so I took it to a coworker's garage. Doug was a fantastic blues guitarist, and we jammed around some and talked about starting a band with a drummer I've played with forever. Then Doug took a medical retirement for a knee problem, and was then diagnosed with leukemia. He died about a year ago.

The longer I waited, the more awkward it became to call his widow... "Sorry about Doug. By the way, can I have my stuff back?"... not too cool. Then, a few weeks ago, she contacted me at work to see if I would want some of his old gigging shirts, so we talked and I made arrangements to pick up my cabinet and a mic and stand. She totally understood about the lack of contact. Doug was a really private person. He wrote me to tell me about the leukemia, but didn't want anyone at work to know about it. He said if they found out "I'll know you told them and I'll kick your ass!". I wanted to visit him or call, but I didn't want to bother him, so I never did. Which made it all the more awkward to contact his wife afterward. But when we talked, I told her all of this, and she said "Yeah, that sounds like Doug!", and said she understood. I hope he was aware that I thought about him a lot. He was a good guy, and one of my favorite people at work. And a hell of a guitarist.

That old band is back together now, and I'll be using the Ampeg again in the future!
Well, here's a very short video of the cabinet in action, still working fine and sounding great. Nothing beats an Ampeg 8x10 and a Fender Jazz Bass!

I'm glad you have your cabinet -- but I'm gladder still that you shared this story. Thank you.

Top Bottom