Ran the Harvard Pilgrim Finish at the 50 at Gillette Stadium on July 3rd Barefoot.

Olarte

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to share my highlight of the week… Ran the 6.25mi\10k Havard & Pilgrim finish at the 50 race (barefoot) on July 3rd at 6pm. 85 degrees and humid…

A Hot, Humid, Slow Race. Ran Barefoot, did great for 6 miles until I tripped on a lip where the road changes to carpet at the tunnel going into the stadium. Did a perfect roll and lost no more than 3 seconds. Came up laughing and with No injuries. What an adventure!

Check out the finish, I cross the finish line 1min 8sec into this video

http://youtu.be/RPDJaowlJH8

Last edited:
Sweet! As a Mass. native for the first 28 years of my life, that's my stadium, too. Good job. Why in the name of Sam Heck you'd run it in bare feet, I haven't a clue, but it's a good run, certainly.

Basically, running in minimalist shoes like Vibram 5 Finger shoes or Barefoot, you get rid of all the common aches, pains and injuries when running with regular running shoes. No blisters, black nails, twisted ankles, runner's knees etc...

And to transition to Vibram 5 fingers, the best way is to learn to run barefoot first (short distances) to build up your calves and soles. Well some people like me like it so much we stay barefoot. it's even better than minimal shoes each step is like a snow flake different and awesome. you really learn to feel the ground you run on.

I've been doing it for almost 3 years, and last october 2 weeks before I turned 50, I put on my gps watch and went out and ran a 26.2 mile full marathon in 4hrs 29min. It was a great run all on beautiful New England roads that I had traveled through and only seen from the inside of a car for the last 20 years. it was a blast. just like crossing the 50 yeard line at Gillette stadium was last tuesday!

Barefootin', it's the way we were meant to be.
………………………
….oooO……………
…..(….)…..Oooo…
……\..(.…..(….)……
…….\_).…..)../………
………………(_/…………
………………………………

If you mean running time, probably not, maybe about the same.

I'm a slow runner anyway, but my faster time for a race has been 9:05 min\mi pace at a 5 mile race. I'm happy with that.

It's all about the experience, and being able to run for an hour or a few hours...

Great run. I can't even walk through my back yard in my bare feet. I tried running a few years ago and 2 miles was my best distance and I had to walk parts of it. If I tried it barefoot I would have gone 30 feet. I'm always amazed when someone can run the distance you did. Good run.

That's cool. More power to you, olarte.

I'm a shoe guy...one infected cut and a person could lose a leg (the girl that lost hands and feet recently had one small cut while swimming in a river - noted: you don;t run in rivers...lol). Tetanus and crap all over the place these days. That said, if you find it exhilarating, go for it.

signed, tried and true shoe guy. Keep moving, brother in MA.

Yep to each their own...

I've been running barefoot for 3 years, have logged over 1000 miles and had maybe one small cut at most that I can remember. No blisters or open wounds of any kind, no black nails, or twisted ankles.

This is my experience. But I totally respect anyone's choice of footwear.

Speaking of this, I just came back from a mid-morning 10k\6.5 mi barefoot run in my neighborhood. It was hot, humid, but very invigorating!

Now time for some classical guitar then some time with my fluke...

Top Bottom