good nylon guitar strings?

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
my fingers are bleeding and i want nylon strings. anyone recommend any?

there may be a problem here... you dont want to put classical(nylon) strings on a steel string guitar... the neck tension is the problem. steel strings keep a higher tension on the neck of the guitar than stretchy nylon strings. so basicly you can warp the hell out of your neck and possibly ruin your guitar...

Why type of strings are you using on your acoustic? possibly use a lighter gauge of strings... just looking out for you man.

Why type of strings are you using on your acoustic? possibly use a lighter gauge of strings... just looking out for you man.

i havent the slightest clue whats on this guitar. i bought it used from a pawn shop with what i think is the original strings

alright, then i say you might go get a set of light strings. something like these

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....onze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=100182

also i hate to say this but "bleeding" is one of those things guitarists have to go through... it toughens up the calouses on your fingertips... nobody said that playing guitar is easy. but having lighter strings will make things much easier on your hands.

those strings arent even light. they'll still kill your fingers. you may have to pay more, but look for light or extra light acoustic strings that start with 9 or 10 for the high E string size. the gauges are usually printed on the packaging.

if you have a cheap guitar, then buying good strings may actually make a huge difference in tone and playability. it might seem like overkill for an instrument that you dont think is deserving of it, but you never know.

my personal preference is the ernie ball slinky titanium coated strings. theyre like $16 but they last forever and they come in extra light 9's.

also i hate to say this but "bleeding" is one of those things guitarists have to go through... it toughens up the calouses on your fingertips... nobody said that playing guitar is easy. but having lighter strings will make things much easier on your hands.

ive heard this many times. but after i started bleeding, i couldnt play for the rest of the day, uke or guitar. doing anything with my hand hurt. and it was early, so i had an almost entirely uke/guitar free day.

There really isn't a foolproof way to play guitar without suffering some finger pain. Nylon strings sound awful on a guitar made for steel, plus they will require action adjustments and severe nut modification. My best advice is to get some decent strings, and don't play until it draws blood. ;) You'll get used to it within two weeks. I like the feel of flatwound strings on electrics because they aren't quite as abrasive.

You may just need a setup on your guitar's action:

guiset2.jpg

guiset1.jpg

Top Bottom