Testing the waters for a future season

Would you accept a niche theme for a season of the ukulele?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Fermin

Reaction score
Hi, seasonistas!

I've been following the seasons of the ukulele for a while (even if I only managed to participate in two), and I'm considering hosting one in the future.

Now, I am thinking of two possible themes. I won't reveal specific details, of course, but I'd like to know what you would be willing to do, as one of these themes can potentially be loved or hated.

One of these possible themes would be quite generic, in line with some of the latest seasons (i.e: "dreams", "train", "home").

The other, would be much more specific, and would take all, or at least most of you way out of your comfort zone, and would require some homework (enjoyable homework, but still homework). I do believe it would be a learning experience and open some new doors, or I wouldn't be suggesting it, but I have to know if you would enjoy a challenge a bit bigger than usual.

Please answer the poll :)

Last edited:
I remember Uncle Elvis said it best when he said that the Host has control!! The challenge is fun and keeps many of us going!! I only started in Season 19 and I already had very uncomfortable themes, French, Spanish, and especially Country which is a foreign language to me but at the end of the day, I really enjoyed learning and more importantly, listening to everyone else.

Just like in life, we adapt and I am trying to adapt to every theme without too much complaining. :p

I look forward to doing some homework for every Season of the Ukulele. The more challenging, the better.

And, of course, I'm confident that my fellow Seasonistas can rise to any challenge. Go for it, Fermin!

I agree, besides ( I'm talking to you, Nongdam..) what could be farther out of my personal comfort zone than current pop hits?
go for it!

I think you should just go for it. The themes have posed some interesting challenges. Since starting, I have opted out of two. The duets because wasn't able to get someone to duet with and the present one because it really has no appeal for me. I've had a couple of looks at some of the songs and really have not found anything that makes me want to give it a go.

And we've had at least one niche theme already - mattydee had everyone learn a song off the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. That was a very specific challenge and was lots of fun. One of the great things about the Seasons is that there's no pressure. If you're busy that week or don't find a song that appeals just drop out for a week and join in again next time around.

Last edited:
Agreed with all- do what you want, that is kind of the point. We either sink or swim right?

If you look at the playlists for the different Seasons of the Ukulele, you might be able to get an idea of how much more specific themes have changed the number of people who take part that week. Personally, I prefer the generic themes.

Every week I look at the theme for the week and figure out whether the theme interests me enough to invest the several hours it will take to participate. Some weeks I'm too busy to take part, but sometimes the theme is something that I just don't find interesting, and I use my time for other things that week.

For example, I'll be hosting the 31st Season. I love the progressive rock of the '70s, the stuff that bands like Genesis and Yes used to play, and I like to see how much of that I can learn to play. But if I made that the theme, most of the Seasonistas wouldn't be familiar with the music to begin with, and most of the rest wouldn't be interested enough to go to all the effort to figure out something that complicated. I'd be lucky if 10 people took part.

The advantage of the "generic" themes is that everyone can take part within the context of the music they play -- the ones who play folk music can find folk songs that fit the theme, the rockers can find rock songs, the folks who like the music of the 1920s and 30s can find something there. The host doesn't have to make the Seasonistas interested in a topic, the topic is just a criterion used for them to select a song that already interests them.

What are the seasons of the ukulele?

Weekly contests in which whoever is the "host" for the week chooses a theme, and those who choose to take part learn to play a song that fits the theme, and post a video of themselves playing the song.

Weekly contests in which whoever is the "host" for the week chooses a theme, and those who choose to take part learn to play a song that fits the theme, and post a video of themselves playing the song.

Cool thank you. And yes I love a challenge.

The other, would be much more specific, and would take all, or at least most of you way out of your comfort zone, and would require some homework (enjoyable homework, but still homework). I do believe it would be a learning experience and open some new doors, or I wouldn't be suggesting it, but I have to know if you would enjoy a challenge a bit bigger than usual.

The answer is a definite maybe.

Yes, I enjoy the challenges, but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily participate.

When something is out of my comfort zone to listen to (i.e., the majority of Hip Hop that I have been subjected to ), it is something I don't want to do- but by all means, let others do it. If I don't like it after the first 10 seconds, I stop the video, and keep my mouth shut.

If the week is something I find horrendous (i.e, a season of Led Zeppelin), I won't even watch.

I'll do homework, but I might not turn it in.

-Kurt​

Current Rap Hits!!

seconded. That week would be a mess! And probably absolutely hilarious.

I vote do the fun niche! If I can come up with a song for the week, I do one, if I can't, I don't, but either way I enjoy myself!

Yes, I enjoy the challenges, but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily participate.

When something is out of my comfort zone to listen to (i.e., the majority of Hip Hop that I have been subjected to ), it is something I don't want to do- but by all means, let others do it. If I don't like it after the first 10 seconds, I stop the video, and keep my mouth shut.

If the week is something I find horrendous (i.e, a season of Led Zeppelin), I won't even watch.

-Kurt​

I'm with you on that Kurt.

Geoff

I'm sure everyone will find something they'll like. With "find" being the key word here.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom