Do I understand right. USB Mic or interface?

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm looking to start some basic home recording for sound samples etc. I've read the posts here but just want some clarification before making up my mind how I want to go.

With a USB it is strickly a mic plugged into the Comp. Blue Yeti seems popular as does a Shure and Fathead.

Interface allows for a reg. mic or instrument to be plugged into the interface and from there goes to the comp. Apogee was mentioned as a possible good one.

Then there's an H4 recorder which sounds like it's a recorder that can be used like an interface if needed.

Question is of course which way to go. I have a couple of ukes that have MiSi's and a Kala Ubass.

Sounds like with an interface I get a cleaner sound as the instrument can be plugged in directly. With a USB I get a more natural sound. Is this correct?

Back in the day we used a mic to record as that's all there was or what we knew was out there.

I'm kind of leaning towards a Yeti or Fathead then start thinking about an interface> Any recommendations would sure help.

I realize this question has been asked before and I did read the posts more than once,just need some clarification. Thanks.

i've tried both a usb mic and a standard xlr condensor mic plugged into an interface... in my experience, the interface method handles latency better and allows for better monitoring options. an interface usually has multiple channels - you can either plug in your uke directly or record acoustically via a mic (or even both at the same time). i use a audiobox usb interface - whatever you get, make sure it has phantom power so that you can use it with a condensor mic. the mic i use is an audio technica at2020 (xlr connection). i'm not a fan of plugging in directly via usb, whether it be mics or midi controllers, etc; however, it might suit you fine if you're doing simple 1 track recordings and have no need to monitor yourself. hopefully, that helps.

oh, and one more thing... if you use an interface, it allows you to record from any device that can be adapted to a 1/4" input (e.g., ipad).

I have an H4 which is great in most settings and as an USB mic. I also have the AT2020 USB mic for voice over stuff.

Top Bottom