Season 56: FiL's Favorite Texas Singer-Songwriters

FiL

Reaction score
Welcome to the 56th Season of the Ukulele!

I'm from New Jersey, but I love a lot of music that has come out of Texas. I'm especially fond of the songs of Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, and Robert Earl Keen. So, this week's theme:

"FiL's Favorite Texas Singer-Songwriters"

A. Official Entry Rules:

1. Your song must be one that was written or co-written by one of the following Texas singer-songwriters:

2. Your face must appear in the video.

3. The ukulele must be front and center in the music.

4. It must be a new video, specially created for this Season.

5. Unless you tell me otherwise, your first video posted will be your official entry.

6. You must state verbally or in writing at the beginning or end of your video that it is for the 56th Season of the Ukulele.

7. Please state verbally or in writing at the beginning or end of your video which songwriter you are covering.

8. In your post to the 56th Season thread on UU, please include the name of the song and the songwriter.

9. Overdubs are OK.

10. Don't post any videos before Sunday, March 10, Hawaii time.

11. Contest ends at the end of Sunday, March 17, Hawaii time.

12. Only one official entry per person.

B. Bonus Song Rules:

1. Bonus tracks must be new videos, specially created for this Season. Please don't repost your old Seasons videos. I've probably seen them already.

2. Bonus songs can be from ANY Texas singer-songwriter, provided the song was written by the songwriter. Here are just a few more famous singer-songwriters from Texas:

Guy Clark
Rodney Crowell
Joe Ely
Lefty Frizzell
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Nanci Griffith
Butch Hancock
Don Henley (Eagles)
Buddy Holly
Waylon Jennings
Kris Kristofferson
Lyle Lovett
Willie Nelson
Michael Nesmith (The Monkees)
Roy Orbison
Billy Joe Shaver
Sly Stone (Sly & The Family Stone)
Bob Wills

You can find more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songwriters_from_Texas, though the list is far from authoritative.

C. Prizes:

There will be at least one prize awarded for my favorite performance. If I can't settle on one, I may award prizes to multiple winners. Prize(s) to be determined, but they will be awesome. Or maybe just mediocre. Who knows?

OK, now that you've made it through all the rules, let's make some videos!

- FiL

Last edited:
Just to clarify things...FIL, I LOVE YOU MAN!
If I can't wait until Hawaii time...please forgive me.

Hey, Pabrizzer...

That's a dream! I'm gonna hazard a guess and say baritone uke? Top performance of one of my favourite Steve Earle songs. Not familiar with your bonus, but will check it out shortly.

Take care,

Shady

You don't realise what you've done, FIL. I now have some serious listening to do. I've still to catch up on season 55 and now I'll have to find a song for this season. Arghhhhh! :music:

This is a cautionary tale, so all of you take heed.
This is what happens when you tell the Kid to play some of his favorite songs- Bill remembers I am sure.
You get videos. Lots of really quick, unpracticed videos.
You get videos before coffee.
Before a shower.
Before pants.
Melissa will participate once we are decent...me? I have no humility, and indecency is a steady state.
Bonus Numero Uno- Billy Joe Shaver, Bottom Dollar

FiL- this is going to be AWESOME. Great theme man.

My official entry.
My Old Friend the Blues by Steve Earle.
The Black Dog is way too friendly.

Way to start us off with a bang, pabrizzer! That's some really fine playing on that bari!

Tennesse Blues.

I love it when the 8-stringers come out!

This is a cautionary tale, so all of you take heed.
This is what happens when you tell the Kid to play some of his favorite songs- Bill remembers I am sure.
You get videos. Lots of really quick, unpracticed videos.
You get videos before coffee.
Before a shower.
Before pants.
Melissa will participate once we are decent...me? I have no humility, and indecency is a steady state.
Bonus Numero Uno- Billy Joe Shaver, Bottom Dollar

FiL- this is going to be AWESOME. Great theme man.

I'm so glad the camera didn't pan down! :) Hey, that song mentions a bird! I didn't know this one, but I think I have to learn it now. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us this week...

OH...super theme! I hope I can find time this week! Somebody rich adopt me so I can retire and just pick 'n grin...

John

Hey, strumsilly...

That was a remarkable performance of the song. Would love to know what picking pattern you're using, although I'm getting better at baritone spotting, so it probably wouldn't sound the same on tenor or concert.

Great job!

Shady

Hey, strumsilly...

That was a remarkable performance of the song. Would love to know what picking pattern you're using, although I'm getting better at baritone spotting, so it probably wouldn't sound the same on tenor or concert.

Great job!

Shady

THANKS, i LEARNED IT FROM THIS GUY. he has some great tutorials.
it sounds good on a low G tenor too, the bari tuning suited my range better on this song.
http://ukulelesecrets.org/2011/03/27/ukulele-secret-2-folksy-fingerstyle/

Top Bottom