poor

Nickie

Reaction score
Wah, I had to cancel my bass lessons...I am too poor...anyone have any suggestions for learning on my own?

Hi Nickie, I got a UBass for xmas and had never played one before (i.e. I'm a hack!) What I do is find some simple songs in the key of C and start playing the C note on the A string and just focus on the rhythm. thump......thump,thump.......thump....
After a while I get the courage up to go up to G (on the D string) when it sounds right and maybe throw in a F and back to C
If I start feeling cocky I'll go down to the F and G on the E string.

It's pretty basic but I have fun with it. I'll never be a good bass player but since no one around here plays bass they put up with me as long as I keep tempo and don't try any solos!

Last edited:
I have found some of the websites are better for people who already have a base of skill and knowledge and then want to fill that in.

I'm not sure what level the OP is at. For anyone who is absolutely New to the bass and won't be doing lessons, I think
the eMedia CDROM is a very good place to start.

eMedia Bass Method about as close to a live instructor as you can get, and you can start and stop at will for the cost of just one lesson. Also heard some great reviews on this if you have an Xbox 360. Plug bass into usb adapater.

Rocksmith Guitar and Bass - Xbox 360 - adapter included, you plug your base into your Xbox!!!

Last edited:
This thread has renewed my interest in learning to play bass. I sure wish I hadn't sold my bass and amp years ago. I had started to teach myself to play on a Peavey bass and amp I bought, but sold them when I plateaued out. That was pre-internet, and there are so many more resources out there for self-teaching, now.

No way can I spend the money to replace the bass and amp, though....:(

Top Bottom