Slang?

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
We have members from all over the world, I know theres going to be some good regional slang words or phrases.

Share yours!

NorCal everyone says "hella" as in "very" or "really"

i dont really like it that much, but its a habit i need to break because everyone says it.

i try to now use old slang or new slang like "super fly & legit!"

I've heard the occasional use of the double "hella" up there in the Bay.

also, i know my cousin couldn't say "hella" in his house so they used "hecka"... I don't know if that was just them though.

We have a good one at my school. Theres this guy, and he always goes overboard... So u would play man hunt (like tip but you need to tacle them to the ground) and he would just go so hardout and overboard, he last name is oeti.

So when ever somebody goes overboard its called "oeti"

we also use as ( say it as seperate letters "a-s") means attention seeker, because my area is full of them

off the top of my head for Hawaii .

bolo head = bald
fut = fart
murf = buffed guy (only used on Maui)
mop = eat (only used on Kauai)
mahu = homosexual
da kine = generic description of various things
da kine w/feminine hand motion = gay

Also, we say things like, "I challenge you" when referring to video games, or other games. I got laughed at in Oregon when I said that.

I'll add more when I think of more

my roommate is from the bay area, he says hella all the time. "hella" and "tight."

A fun one I learned from my aussie friend is "sweet as." for example: "we should go to that concert, that would be sweet as!"

Hopefully I used it in the right context. Please, aussie friends, correct me if I'm wrong. :D

When I'm with certain people the word 'dude' gets uttered WAY too many times. I imagine that people that are nearby think we are weirdos.

Anyone use the word 'bad' to mean 'good'?
what about "that's hot!" as opposed to "that's cool" both meaning the same thing.
Or using the word "nasty" to describe something that is really good or someone who is skilled.

Idk, English is reeeeally confusing sometimes. ^_^

Lick- a bumb
Pager- a bumb
Smut- a slut
Slut- a whore
Ho- a whore
Ya feel me?- Do you get where I'm going at?

I'm missing a lot more of course. I don't speak slang. At least I try not to.

Or using the word "nasty" to describe something that is really good or someone who is skilled.

I think the term "nasty" meaning hella skills came from baseball pitching. (ie. A pitcher that can throw a 95mph slider is really nasty)

I think the Norcal Bay Area (aka the Yay Area) has weirdest slang lang ever:

"Hey coz, where u been? Haven't seen u in a minute" (Translation: Hey man, where have u been? I haven't seen you in a long time.)

Or "I'll be there in like a minute" (Trans: I'll be there tomorrow")

Aside from that I always hear the kiddies at the malls say "Forreeeeaallss?" and "Nah uh. Are u seeeerrrrriiiiooouuusss?"

Ugh. :)

On Kauai we have the term "cabbage." That pretty much describes the state you're in when you're high. So if someone does somethign stupid, you'd say "that was so cabbage" or "that was so cab." I'm not really sure if they say it on other islands, but from the people I have asked they don't tend to say that here on Oahu or on the Big Island.

Heck is overused in Utah to the extreme.

Ish is used too, but not by people of the most common religion. Its used as a replacement for the S word, if you know what I'm saying.

Also, "Nah, just kidding" is way overused. It's all one word though: nahjuskiddn.

at the end of what we say over here we will be like

"sup oi"

" i dont like her aye"

oi and aye we add to end of sentences, pretty stupid, not many people use tight or hella.

chillax?? LmFao the worst one made so far

AND DRY!!! if you say a joke and its lame, we say dry hahaha its been said for about 1 year now ^^ everyone uses it, or know what it means

Where I live in Texas, people say things like
Ya'll ( you all )
Widjadidja ( with you, did you. As in " youdidn't bring your wallet widjadisja?
Howdy ( hello, or how are you )

And where my dad is from up in New Hampshire people talk like this.
Yeah-uh ( instead of saying yeah, there
is a small pause, and then they add uh to the word )

Pak da Ca ( Park the Car. Words ending in ark, or ar are shortened and some of the letters are left off )

And where my in laws live on Oahu, people say
Where you stay ( where are you located at )
funny kine ( in a way, or something, that is funny )
talk stink ( say mean things )

Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

Hmm..these are nothing shocking but commonly heard here in San Diego. Within many groups, these words may never be used though...

Killer = great

Sweet = great

Poser = someone who thinks they know what's up but don't

Goin' off = usually refers to great surf

Dude (which is funny bec. depending on your tone of voice can mean 100 different things..haha)

Tool = loser

Barney = kook

Kook = poser

Grinds = food

Wow...just realized...a lot of slang is negative....hahah

Last edited:
On Oahu, cherry is used.

Like, "Da mango dis season taste so cherry!" and stuff like that.

I dunno pidgin is an evolving language. I love it though.

Top Bottom