Season 84 of the Ukulele™ - Put Your Best Foot Forward

23skidoo

Reaction score
Howdy Seasonistas!

Between a hectic schedule and working on the Seasonista anthem, I haven't had much of a chance to participate lately, but I'm looking forward to hosting this week.

One of the great things about the Seasons, I think, is the variety of themes we encounter from week to week and the constant exposure to new material this variety provides. As someone who has been playing music for many years, I always try to challenge myself to learn a new song whenever I participate, but I think my finest performances in the Seasons have always been tunes that I’ve known and played for years. This is a natural advantage for the more seasoned Seasonistas among us – a deeper pool of tunes to draw from, regardless of the theme each week.

In an effort to level the playing field a bit, I challenge each Seasonista to show us what they’ve got and put their best foot forward. I would like to hear what you consider your strongest performance. There are really no rules regarding format or content – just do what you feel you do best.

I realize this is still giving an advantage to the more experienced players who participate, but I also think it will allow newer players to show us their best – something they aren’t necessarily able to do week to week when they have to prepare new material within a relatively limited timeframe.

This Season will not be judged. The prizes – which are still in the works and will be announced soon – will be awarded through an extremely entertaining random process involving the Skidoolettes.

As I said – no real rules involving content or format – just make sure it is, at heart, an ukulele video. As usual, please make sure it’s a new clip and reference the 84th Season during the video.

I’m going to ask that we don’t post any bonuses this week. This Season is about focusing on your strongest material and getting the best performance recorded that you can. I want to highlight each individual and each performance. Please try to post only one video. If you end up posting more than one, your last video posted will be considered your entry.

Please don’t post any videos until after the end of the current Season.

Submissions are due by Sunday, September 29, 12:00 am HAST.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Holy cats! I've been working like mad and haven't checked in here for a few days, and I just thought I would stop by and see what's up, and... umm... did you know it's Saturday? Because apparently I didn't. I was completely shocked that there was a new Season posted.

My point, such as it is, is that this is a really cool theme! And there will be Skidoolettes!!! This'll be fun.

Between a hectic schedule and working on the Seasonista anthem, I haven't had much of a chance to participate lately...
i cannot IMAGINE how much work doing all the techie stuff for the anthem must be. well i can imagine... but just imagining makes me wanna go lie down in a darkened room and listen to whale music and be soothed... so... just wanna say :bowdown: for doing all that work for us

Bill, your band mate, Alan's gonna have a tough time not posting bonuses. I bet he's glad he started the other thread. hahaha

Excellent theme !!

The one problem I've got is that I can think of a million and one faults with toons that I perform in an instant but find it much harder to see my strengths or what i consider to be my best eeeeeek !!

(Any crafty pointers via my mail box, greatly appreciated);)

Last edited:
Great theme Bill. This got me thinking and like mythinformed I find it hard to know what my best foot is. (It could be a Brit thing I'm not sure). Anyway, this got me looking at my youtube hits and thinking that perhaps I'd choose the song I had most views for. This gave me a surprise as I wouldn't have guessed. Whether that is my best I don't know but thought it would be worth re-doing the song because I feel I can now do it in a more suitable key for my voice so I think that is my approach for this one. Thanks for a really interesting theme. It should be a great week.

This is a very good challenge, Bill. You've got people thinking.

It's likely most entries will come later in the week because you've asked us for the one song we think we do best. The one song we'd go on American Idol with. The one song we'd run as a gif on our tombstones (well, maybe not that). Hmmm...

I'm just me

Putting my best foot forward with one of my originals, a song that is also sort of about putting your best foot forward.

Bill, your band mate, Alan's gonna have a tough time not posting bonuses. I bet he's glad he started the other thread. hahaha

Not just Alan. There are one or two other serial posters on the seasons, naming no names. :worship: :smileybounce:

Dougf, I always enjoy your songs. I especially enjoy where you record them! Your backgrounds are great!
Putting my best foot forward with one of my originals, a song that is also sort of about putting your best foot forward.

Hmm
What if the thing we've gotten good at after multiple weeks of Seasoning is choosing an interesting and challenging song, finding/working out a workable arrangement, and muddling through it within a limited time frame??
Oh Dear :)

I am out of town this week until Friday, and I thought I would let this one slip by. But got to thinking, and I'm working on what is definitely my most ambitious video ever, by a long shot. I can even do some of the time consuming production work on the road. Hope I get it done - it might just be fun.

Although I think Ginny is right that most entries will be later in the week,but I got this done yesterday, as I normally record the new week on Sunday. I think this is the second attempt and I think the many recordings don't make a better one rule is a good one. I recorded a multitrack version of this before, but audio only, as it did not fit the season at that time. It has been reasonably popular on soundcloud and I really love this song. I guess my most improved skill in the season to me, is my singing, and I believe it to be where I put my best foot forward in this song: Simply Red - Holding back the years.

Anybody that is interested in the soundcloud version it's here:
https://soundcloud.com/wvommen/simply-red-holding-back-the

Last edited:
Great theme Bill. This got me thinking and like mythinformed I find it hard to know what my best foot is. (It could be a Brit thing I'm not sure). Anyway, this got me looking at my youtube hits and thinking that perhaps I'd choose the song I had most views for.

In that case, I'll be reprising my tutorial on how to play the riff to 'Echo Beach'! :)

In that case, I'll be reprising my tutorial on how to play the riff to 'Echo Beach'! :)
Still tripping over my fingers on that one. :eek:

Had great plans of a picture in picture video or split screen video. Turns out my version of iMovie won't do that.
So you're stuck with a little of the uke hand video at the start and then my boof head singing for the rest. I had hoped that they would both be on the screen at once.
I did use garage band and there are just 2 tracks - one vocal one ukulele. Both one takes BTW.
I think this kind of short song is my strong suit but usually just a quick one take one track go at it. The video stuff is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom