The continuing YouTube blues...

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Sometime between 5 and 6:30 PM tonight, something in YouTube changed, and now I cannot access the Video Manager or Settings pages for my account, or the Upload page. I just get an error message saying "There was an issue logging me into YouTube", and instead of my username showing up in the upper right, I see a "Sign In" button. If I click on that button, I just repeatedly get the same error page.

I left a writeup of the problem on the YouTube help page but I haven't gotten any response.

I've been unable to access the Analytics functions since late March. I've been getting this same error page. When I asked for help on that one from YouTube, the response I got was "Over my head as to why how to get rid of it."

So unless someone in YouTube actually provides help and gets me back to where I can access basic functions like uploading and managing videos, my YouTube account is finished.

whoa that's not good

can you paste in over here what their response was??? did they tell you stuff to do but it all just sounded like nonsense?

Oh I am so sorry to hear of your YT troubles uke4ia! Hopefully it will sort itself out. If worst comes to worst make a new YT channel using Uke4ia with a capital U.
For what it's worth- i went to YT and clicked on your channel and subscribed to you! So your channel is still there and we can still see it.
Hope you can access it soon- you need to be able to upload.
Do you have other Google accounts? Google is messing with mine as well- I've refused to sign up for Google+ They want me to be Myrna Ukelele instead of myrnaukelele. Google is making such a mess of YT. :(

hopefully just a temp bug. after the google+ integration (last week?) i couldn't type comments with firefox for a couple of days.

whoa that's not good

can you paste in over here what their response was??? did they tell you stuff to do but it all just sounded like nonsense?

They haven't given me a response yet. For a massive operation, YouTube goes out of their way not to have anything a computer user would recognize as a real "Help" function. They also don't have anything on a YouTube web page that you can click on to seek help. But if you follow one link to another to another, eventually you come to this:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/youtube/categories
And you can leave a cry for help that may or may not be responded to. It's not clear to me whether the people who do respond are even Google/YouTube employees or just amateur self-declared experts. Most of what I see there right now is thousands of people screaming about the whole Google-Plus thing. :D

Myrna, I can see my page, but I can't do anything with it now. I can't upload videos. I can't edit info for the videos that are already up. I can't get at my account/user settings to see if I could adjust a setting that would help.

They haven't given me a response yet.
of course they haven't. what was i thinking???! as you say you can't ask them anything in a meaningful way ie. email/contact them via the site and get a response. i've used the forums etc before ie. gone looking for help with something, it seems to be mostly other regular peeps trying to help eachother out

Most of what I see there right now is thousands of people screaming about the whole Google-Plus thing. :D
indeed

WHAT THE FRICKING FRACK WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY MESSED YOUTUBE UP WITH THIS GOOGLE PLUS MADNESS???

I've refused to sign up for Google+ They want me to be Myrna Ukelele instead of myrnaukelele. Google is making such a mess of YT. :(

G+ want you to be Myrna Ukulele, because Google (aka the Chocolate Factory) has a policy of not accepting 'usernames'. Their argument is that YT has suffered in the past with too many trolls hiding behind anonymous/unidentifiable YT handles. If, their 'argument' [sic] goes, people have to use their real names on YT, they'll be more reluctant to behave badly. Make of that what you will, but that's their policy and there's no getting around it...

...except, you can set 'myrnaukulele' up as a G+ page, managed by you, Myrna Ukulele, your 'official' G+ a/c profile; a profile with which you need (i.e., don't have to) do anything. The profile 'Myrna Ukulele' will get a YT (& a Gmail!) a/c associated with it by default, called 'Myrna Ukulele', but you don't have to use the profile or any of its associated a/c's in any way: so you never post there; no-one ever goes there; looks at, or in anyway interacts with it.

Similarily, you don't have to add anyone to your page's 'Circles' either, so nothing you say will be visible to the wider G+ world; unless they actively seek you out, of course, but their only link to your G+ page will be your 'myrnaukulele' YT a/c - and they won't be able to read anything there that they can't read on your YT a/c.

In other words, to keep the Chocolate Factory happy, you set up a holding company 'Myrna Ukulele'; but trade publically on YT as 'myrnaukulele', thereby keeping you happy.

This is what I've done. You'll find me here: redpaul101 on G+. Take a look and compare it with my YT Profile.

Neither entity has to engage in any G+ activity (i.e., adding people/institutions to 'Circles' etc), btw. And the beautiful thing about all of the above, is... the whole set-up would be achieved without letting the Chocolate Factory know your actual name!!
I'm assuming of course that 'Ukulele' does form no part of your name :)

Last edited:
I think that they must have a Pavlovian psychologist working for them, because of that
little bell up in the corner of the YT page… just as dogs begin to salivate at the anticipation
of getting food when a bell has been run, so it is the the G+ bell. When it rings to show
activity on our accounts, we are now being conditioned to press that bell to find out
what is going on.

Meantime in a G+ boardroom executives from the adverting world are being shown
pie chart of the exponential growth of subscriptions and content over the past week or so
and go away being persuaded that folks are flocking to G+ in droves and that it is
a rip roaring success.

Whereas all that is happening is a Pavlovian bell has been ringing. All of those blue faceless
heads that we see for avatars means that folks have subscribed but are not really active on
G+ and the advertisers and broadcasting their messages into empty rooms… Meanwhile G+are
laughing all the way to the bank.

Regarding signing in to YT, a related problem I found when uploading videos from iMovie
was that it refused to log me in if I used my username weegingayin… kept on saying my username
or password were incorrect… I thought I was typing it in wrong… checked and checked but to
no avail. It was only when I tried my Gmail address instead of my username did it work.

Have you tried that?

Regarding signing in to YT, a related problem I found when uploading videos from iMovie
was that it refused to log me in if I used my username weegingayin… kept on saying my username
or password were incorrect… I thought I was typing it in wrong… checked and checked but to
no avail. It was only when I tried my Gmail address instead of my username did it work.

Have you tried that?

I have this problem with iMovie. I have been exporting the movie then going to YouTube to upload. I'll try the Gmail thing.
The whole Google+ has been dreadful really.
It is great to be able to share our videos and it is free but they get to screw us any way they want.

Couple of questions.

1. Does the same thing happen in multiple browsers?

2. Have you tried clearing all associated cookies and other cached data related to YouTube from your browser?

1. I didn't try Firefox yesterday. But for the Analytics, where this has been going on since March, the same thing happens in Firefox.

2. I tried clearing YouTube and Google cookies from the Temporary Internet Files. But in Windows Vista they are also stored in another place with names that don't allow you to identify whose cookie each one is. I did not do a cache dump.

When I saw Jim's message, I went to You Tube and found that they have me logged in as TootlingGeoff but the little account link at the top right has me as Geoff Walker. Click on that and it shows no activity. I can't access video manager or my inbox.

They have been pestering me for some time to change my You Tube name to Geoff Walker and I have been refusing. I can understand their desire to reduce Trolling and trying to cut offensive comments but they're not going the right way about it. Why not let you keep your You Tube name but insist on your real name being displayed in your publicly visible profile. Also have a prominently displayed "Report" button.

Maybe that's too mucho for their simple little minds. I was trying to avoid the faff of following Paul's procedure. It looks like I'll have to set myself up as a "band" like you do in Farcebook.

Should we consider going over to Vimeo for the seasons? I don't know how they manage copyright material which is why I haven't signed up with them so far though I would have no problems with my traditional songs. With Soundcloud and Alonetone audio sites I have only uploaded stuff that is out of copyright or for which I own the copyright.

Last edited:
Update.

I went to upload another video for season 92. When I clicked on You Tube there I was as TootlinGeoff in the top right hand corner. The difference? My earlier check had been on my iPad but I was uploading from Firefox on my PC. It's looking more like cock up than conspiracy, but whatever, Google need to sort themselves out.

It just reinforces my feeling that You Tube and tablets don't get on. My experience with You Tube and tablets - iPad or Android is that they only provide limited functionality so that anything other than watching videos is problematic. If I need to do anything other than just watch videos, I always go to my PC.

I absolutely hate being forced by The Man to do anything. So, this whole G+ thing has been an ugly, naked power grab by Google to force us to get social the Google way.

How 'bout proving better service as a way to induce people to use your products instead of turning us into human foie gras by force-feeding G+ down our throats. Maybe my having recently read Dave Eggers "The Circle" has me a bit more on edge than I otherwise would be, but it's pretty eerie to see how some of the cautionary notes from The Circle are actually becoming reality.

Ah, that rant felt good! Hope you get your stuff sorted out.

Since the Google attack I can't get audio on some of my subscriptions, what fun is watching a ukulele video without sound?
Today the "guide" on the left side of the screen keeps popping up for every video, blocking about 1/3 of the screen until I click on it.

Since the Google attack I can't get audio on some of my subscriptions, what fun is watching a ukulele video without sound?
Today the "guide" on the left side of the screen keeps popping up for every video, blocking about 1/3 of the screen until I click on it.
Maybe someone who's upset with the Google+ change has hacked YouTube's system, and they just won't admit it to us?

Since last night, I've gotten a response from one of "YouTube's little helpers" on the Google Products Forum. It mostly asked me for some more specifics on particular items. But at least someone has heard my cry in the darkness. So I'm hopeful. :uhoh:

♪ Sitting here in limbo.... ♫

That Guide menu is starting to drive me bonkers. Is anyone else having to close it ALL the time?

The Google Products Forum had me try a few things. When those didn't work, they referred me to Google's actual in-house support staff. Due to exhaustion and yardwork, I have only just gotten around to writing up and sending them the help request. So I think I'm on the right track. But I don't know if I'll be back in time for this week's Season.

Top Bottom