As long as we're gripin' about the web site...

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
May I respectfully point out the following:

• When one goes to the home page, there's a nice, obvious link to the forums. Yay!
  • When one clicks this link, it opens up the forum in a new window
  • This is annoying as @$%@$ :D

Websites should never behave counter to the user's expectations, and that includes not opening up a new browser window unless specifically requested to do so.

This is #9 on the Top 10 Mistakes in Web Design.

Dan doesn't like it either.

Nor does Webcredible.

Or Dive Into Accessibility

Not that this should take away from all the things UU does right. :rock:

JJ

Hmmmmm.....

I never gave it much thought.... But I like that opens in a new window...
that way I don't have to open a new window to see the main site.

But I like that opens in a new window...
that way I don't have to open a new window to see the main site.
Which wouldn't be a problem if you could click on the UU logo to quickly go back to the main site! :D

i agree cpatch. the uu logo on the forum's main page should go back to the uu homepage. i do like, however, that youtube links, etc. open in a new window

If you want a link (any link) to open in a new window, you can do that in pretty much all browsers--usually by right-clicking and selecting something like "Open in New Window".

Personally, I like to open things in new tabs, not windows. For example, I pull up a list of all the new posts, and go down it, opening the ones that look interesting in their own tab, one right after the other (so I wind up with a bunch of tabs, all loading in the background). Then I just click on the tabs to read each one.

Anyhoo, my point is that a link (or any other user interface element, for that matter) should always exhibit standard behavior. The decision to arbitrarily alter that behavior should be up to the user, not the programmer. That's just basic usability 101.

:eek:ld:

JJ

odd, mine just opens a new tab from the main site. which i enjoy... could be that i use firefox...

and i 2nd or 3rd that the logo on the top of the forum should go back to the main site. granted its not a huge thing because there is a link VVVV down here that will take you...

Top Bottom