Help me deal with my extreme humidity levels?

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am no stranger to humidity, but with the onset of the first winter in a new office, my instruments are very thirsty. I moved offices at my school, and my office is so lucky to have the heat exchange/ac thingy in it, and so my office gets especially dry, like super dry. I think like 20% right now. In the past, I could keep a boveda in each hard shell case and they would last upwards of 6 months. I changed one last week, and it's almost all dried up now! I would prefer not to buy a $150+ humidifier to keep in my office, as the capacity would need to be able to run all weekend when I'm home, and I'm not convinced it would even get up to the correct humidity levels I need. I was thinking of Oasis OH-32s? Do y'all think that if I left one near my headstock, that that should do the trick? I would prefer not to hang anything in the sound hole, due to having electronics, as well as I just would prefer not to.

Any advice would be super appreciated!

I live west of Phoenix in the desert. The humidity is low year round. I use an Oasis OH-32 and even OH-5 along with a Boveda in the case. I refill the Oasis as needed and when combined with the Boveda they seem to both last longer. I inherited an early 1900's steamer chest that is the perfect size for tenor and smaller ukuleles. In that, I added a small Tupperware container with holes drilled in the top along with a sponge that sits in the bottom of the chest. I recharge everything every 7-14 days and it maintains a consistent 45% humidity level.

Attachments

• IMG_3479.jpg
    IMG_3479.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14
I am no stranger to humidity, but with the onset of the first winter in a new office, my instruments are very thirsty. I moved offices at my school, and my office is so lucky to have the heat exchange/ac thingy in it, and so my office gets especially dry, like super dry. I think like 20% right now. In the past, I could keep a boveda in each hard shell case and they would last upwards of 6 months. I changed one last week, and it's almost all dried up now! I would prefer not to buy a $150+ humidifier to keep in my office, as the capacity would need to be able to run all weekend when I'm home, and I'm not convinced it would even get up to the correct humidity levels I need. I was thinking of Oasis OH-32s? Do y'all think that if I left one near my headstock, that that should do the trick? I would prefer not to hang anything in the sound hole, due to having electronics, as well as I just would prefer not to.

Any advice would be super appreciated!
How many uses are you trying to protect? If 1 or 2, the Boveda's are easy to "recharge". Keep a set rehydrating the gel and a set in the cases. I have 2 wall cases in my living room (my grab and strum ukes including my Chuck Moore) that I keep these in. I have reused the packs for more than a year with no signs of degradation. If lots of ukes the room humidifier with a 6gal tank is the way to go. That's what I run in my instrument room. In the dead of winter when my house humidity is in the low 30's, it keeps the room at 50% with refills every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. I use a 2gal watering can to refill it. I also suggest the wifi humidistats like AcuRite, that will send you a notification when humidity drops below (or heat rises above) your preset limit. I have 1 in my instrument room and 1 in each of my cases. Humiditrak makes a real small humidistat but it's bluetooth so your phone has to be close to get readings. It is great for traveling when you want to know what's going on inside your case without opening it and letting all the dry air inside! As you can tell, I'm kind of anal about knowing what's going on where my ukes live!

How many uses are you trying to protect? If 1 or 2, the Boveda's are easy to "recharge". Keep a set rehydrating the gel and a set in the cases. I have 2 wall cases in my living room (my grab and strum ukes including my Chuck Moore) that I keep these in. I have reused the packs for more than a year with no signs of degradation. If lots of ukes the room humidifier with a 6gal tank is the way to go. That's what I run in my instrument room. In the dead of winter when my house humidity is in the low 30's, it keeps the room at 50% with refills every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. I use a 2gal watering can to refill it. I also suggest the wifi humidistats like AcuRite, that will send you a notification when humidity drops below (or heat rises above) your preset limit. I have 1 in my instrument room and 1 in each of my cases. Humiditrak makes a real small humidistat but it's bluetooth so your phone has to be close to get readings. It is great for traveling when you want to know what's going on inside your case without opening it and letting all the dry air inside! As you can tell, I'm kind of anal about knowing what's going on where my ukes live!
I'm trying to keep 2 or 3 max in my office humidified. I should have enough boveda's to do a recharge swap, but I'll be honest I'm not sure of the best way to do that exactly, or where to start.

Not the nicest looking method but it works. Leave the uke in a hard case with a boveda pack inside. Put the hard case inside a big plastic bag(garbage bags works great) throw in a damn cloth and tie up the bag So that the air doesn’t get in easily. Doesn’t have to be air tight. Been doing this for years. My Koaloha is still ok. I use this method when I fly. If you feel it’s unsightly just put everything inside another bag. Humidity in planes can go down to 10% in long haul flights. My boveda hasnt dried up yet. it’s been about 2+ years. Maybe your hard case is very dry too and absorbing all the moisture from the boveda. I put it opened without the uke in the shower (not directly) and let the case absorb some of the moisture when I shower. When I am home I leave my ukes in a humidity controlled cabinet But when I travel I have to improvise.

It also depends on the case. The oasis soundhole humidifiers work well in tight hardcases, and need refill about weekly. However, I have a uke in an old zippered case and it is more prone to drying out. So I also keep a little damp sponge in punctured Ziploc bag at the heel, and that combination seems to keep it in shape.

I'm trying to keep 2 or 3 max in my office humidified. I should have enough boveda's to do a recharge swap, but I'll be honest I'm not sure of the best way to do that exactly, or where to start.
I have a tall plastic snap top tub (maybe 8" tall, 4x4" square at top). I put about 3" of water in it, then put a second smaller open top container or large plastic cup inside (size so it can't tip over). Then the packs in the inside container and snap the top shut. I leave in there until I need a fresh pack.

I have a tall plastic snap top tub (maybe 8" tall, 4x4" square at top). I put about 3" of water in it, then put a second smaller open top container or large plastic cup inside (size so it can't tip over). Then the packs in the inside container and snap the top shut. I leave in there until I need a fresh pack.
I will try this tonight!

I don't like leaving the OH32s in the soundhole either. Mainly because I hate fumbling with the strings. I leave them in the case under the headstock and have been fine with that. And it does get quite dry where we have homes- northern Nevada and near Phoenix; both are in deserts. As @merlin666 said, the zippered cases do dry out quite a bit faster than say a tight Crossrock fiberglass case.

I live west of Phoenix in the desert. The humidity is low year round. I use an Oasis OH-32 and even OH-5 along with a Boveda in the case. I refill the Oasis as needed and when combined with the Boveda they seem to both last longer. I inherited an early 1900's steamer chest that is the perfect size for tenor and smaller ukuleles. In that, I added a small Tupperware container with holes drilled in the top along with a sponge that sits in the bottom of the chest. I recharge everything every 7-14 days and it maintains a consistent 45% humidity level.
This is also what I do. Two Bovedas have been recharging themselves with one Oasis humidifier in each case and balancing the whole ecosystem in each case. Just keep refilling the Oasis ones every once in a while.

I've also just put Bovedas straight into distilled water, and don't think it was that good for the wrapping, but when impatient and the wet ambient air in tupperware wasn't working, this made them like-new very quickly.

Problem solved! I have been looking at my local “Amazon return store” that sells returned, etc packages, and managed to find this pretty nice humidifier (also brand new and unopened) for only $5! (most items there are priced $5) The tank only lasts 40 or so hours, so it’ll last most of a full weekend while I’m gone! I had been looking for a few weeks, so I’m so glad I finally found it.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2223.png
    IMG_2223.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2222.png
    IMG_2222.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
Good deal? How is water hardness in your area? If it is high then be prepared that ultrasonic device will spread a fine white slimy coating on everything in the room. And of course the humidifier will need occasional decalcification.

I have similar humidity levels in winter and each of my ukes has an Oasis soundhole humidifier in it. The solid ukes are in hard cases and the others are in gig bags. All of them are in a closet except for the one I'm using the most.

The hard cases definitely make a big difference in the frequency with which I have to refill the humdifiers. So does leaving cases in the closet. If you have a cabinet or closet in your office, it will help.

Good deal? How is water hardness in your area? If it is high then be prepared that ultrasonic device will spread a fine white slimy coating on everything in the room. And of course the humidifier will need occasional decalcification.
I'm not too sure to be honest. I have a water bottle filler outside my office, so hopefully it has removed some of the minerals. Honestly, though, I won't mind the dust as long as it helps my instruments in the winter.

2 ideas. For ukes in hard cases, I use a soundhole humidifier, but also keep a soap case or small film case with holes drilled, with a wet sponge inside. I keep this in the case, up above the headstock, hopefully your cases have room up there. Another idea has already been mentioned, use a plastic storage tub with a snap-on lid. Mine holds 3 ukes, and I keep wet sponges inside a yogurt tub, with a hygrometer in there. Works like a charm, easily keeping mine at 50-55%.

Attachments

• Humid3.jpg
    Humid3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231128_130124.jpg
    20231128_130124.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 1
Wood hard cases can absorb a lot of humidity before they equalize. So your humidifiers may dry out faster at first until that happens.

It's a good idea to put a small hygrometer in the body of the uke to see what the humidity level is where it's most needed. Then check the neck area.

I use several Inkbird hygrometers I bought on Amazon. They are inexpensive and work well. I make sure they are accurate by checking it against a larger room hygrometer I have. Before I rely on it for in the case readings. So far, they have been ± 1% of the room one.

Top Bottom