Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I was sorry that I missed the Seasonistas on-line get together / open mic today, but I had a lot of fun at a Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band gig. , The MLC Jug Band was founded by Ted staunton and me about 15 years ago and has had a rotating roster of mighty fine musicians, over the years. Today's incarnation was fun for me because it included my son Clayton on mandolin. Today's gig also marked the most ukulele I have ever played from a stage: Ukulele Lady, Washington At Valley Forge, Lindberg Hop, I'm Satisfied With My Gal, Walkin' My Baby Back Home, Five Foot Two/Please Don't Talk About Me and Ragtime Annie.
With me in this photo are Clayton Yates on mandolin and Sam Allison on doghouse bass.

This incarnation of the band included Ted Staunton- guitar and kazoo and vocals, Jim Yates -guitar and ukulele and vocals, Ian McKeown - trombone and Dobro, Clayton Yates - mandolin, Sam Allison - string bass, Dave Hammond - washboard and drums

Clay & Jim jug band.jpg

Last edited:
I should like to introduce you all to a legendary French song from 1981, which I hear regularly on the car radio - yes, well, I DO listen to the "Nostalgie" channel! The story behind it is extraordinary. It is sung by renowned French singer, Michel Sardou, and the story goes that when Jacques Revaux - who was at that time composing music for Sardou - picked up his synthesizer and found that the heat had damaged the instrument to the point where it sounded like bagpipes, the two resolved to write a song about Scotland. However, in those pre-Internet days, they had very little useful information to hand about Scotland; they did, though, come across a tourist leaflet about Connemara, in Ireland. From this humble beginning, they concocted an epic song which is virtually unknown in Ireland itself. https://www.go-to-ireland.com/culture/les-lacs-du-connemara-by-michel-sardou/?utm_content=cmp-true Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you "Les Lacs du Connemara" ... all 6 minutes of it!

Last edited:
Hello folks! I thought you might be interested in this thing I'm doing on Friday... 8pm UK time. it's a youtube stream with a chap I know from the filk community, who does this every week and occasionally has guests. He's a really good acapella folk singer and a whizz with a loop pedal. The idea is we chat and swap songs with each other. There may be more chat that songs, but I'm sure I'm going to have fun whatever :).

the strangest most lovely thing happened a few days ago.
Joni Mitchell sent me a friend request on facebook.
yeah, of course, my immediate thought was: this is bogus, just some stooge with a fake account.
so i ignored it.
but i went back this morning and looked into it and turns out it is actually Joni Mitchell herself from her own page
who personally sent the request.
not saying this by way of boasting or crowing, just , well, i was and still am, utterly mindblown.

i can only assume someone in her circle must have stumbled on my cover of 'River' from my
album Fledglings on Half-A-Cow Records and or saw my relatively recent live cover
that i recorded over Christmas and shared it w/ her.
it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

needless to say, i accepted it once i confirmed it was legit.
still can't believe it.
when one of your lifetime singer-songwriting heroes contacts you...
been in a state of happy bewilderment all day.
just a wtf experience. wow.
just wanted to share w/ y'all gang. xo

🌻

yeah, of course, my immediate thought was: this is bogus, just some stooge with a fake account.
so i ignored it.
but i went back this morning and looked into it and turns out it is actually Joni Mitchell herself from her own page
not saying this by way of boasting or crowing, just , well, i was and still am, utterly mindblown.

i can only assume someone in her circle must have stumbled on my cover of 'River' from my
album Fledglings on Half-A-Cow Records and or saw my relatively recent live cover

still can't believe it.

🌻
That’s the best thing I’ve heard in a long, long time, Jon - how envious am I? Hugely! (Both Sides Now is one of my fave songs of all time.) So pleased for you, matey! 🙂

so i ignored it.

still can't believe it.

🌻
Whaattt?? So cool.😄

Hello folks! I thought you might be interested in this thing I'm doing on Friday... 8pm UK time. it's a youtube stream with a chap I know from the filk community, who does this every week and occasionally has guests. He's a really good acapella folk singer and a whizz with a loop pedal. The idea is we chat and swap songs with each other. There may be more chat that songs, but I'm sure I'm going to have fun whatever :).

6 hours from now. It will be 3AM for me. Argh. If i wake up i will be there. If not i will check it after that. Sounds like it'll be fun! (i'll need to subscribe to his channel...)
When you said swapping songs, at first i thought you mean you play his songs and he yours.
When i play art swaps with friends we create a piece of art with the same theme which we then give each other.
:-->

6 hours from now. It will be 3AM for me. Argh. If i wake up i will be there. If not i will check it after that. Sounds like it'll be fun! (i'll need to subscribe to his channel...)
When you said swapping songs, at first i thought you mean you play his songs and he yours.
When i play art swaps with friends we create a piece of art with the same theme which we then give each other.
:-->
He typically keeps the streams available for a week or so, so there'll be time to watch later. Although you'll miss out on the live chatter which is usually fun to take part in (it's a small friendly group that usually watches most weeks).

He typically keeps the streams available for a week or so, so there'll be time to watch later. Although you'll miss out on the live chatter which is usually fun to take part in (it's a small friendly group that usually watches most weeks).
I am still up. (It's 10.50PM here) I really should go to sleep now so there might be a chance i will and can wake up at 3!

I really enjoyed watching this live - as Edwin expected, more chat than songs, but some interesting background (for those who didn’t know) how he (Edwin aka @jtsteam ) got started with uke and has gone on to make quite a big splash in the filk community. And as he says above, Piers does great things with just his voice and a loop pedal. Definitely worth a watch if you get a chance - Edwin even managed to get a plug in for the Seasons! :)

I really enjoyed watching this live - as Edwin expected, more chat than songs, but some interesting background (for those who didn’t know) how he (Edwin aka @jtsteam ) got started with uke and has gone on to make quite a big splash in the filk community. And as he says above, Piers does great things with just his voice and a loop pedal. Definitely worth a watch if you get a chance - Edwin even managed to get a plug in for the Seasons! :)
Thanks for coming, it was fun! The chat was always going to get geeky given that Piers and I have similarly nerdy backgrounds and interests... you can always skip that if you're not watching live of course :).

Thanks for coming, it was fun! The chat was always going to get geeky given that Piers and I have similarly nerdy backgrounds and interests... you can always skip that if you're not watching live of course :).
I watched it after the thing was over. Piers does fab harmonies. I was wondering how he did that and then i read about the loop pedal.
It was a nice stream.
You are really good live Edwin. It's like you do this everyday:--)

so i ignored it.

still can't believe it.

🌻
what i'm hearing is, I'm now online friends with Joni Mitchell by 2 degrees of separation. :sneaky: I knew being a Seasonista had it's benefits!

I'm obviously joking and this is f***ng awesome!! virtual pat on the back and hugs, Jon!! Throw in a high 10 and a cheers while we're at it 🙌

Top Bottom