Strings D'Addario Pro-Arte classical guitar strings for tenor ukulele: which is better, normal tension or hard tension?

Altrove

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a new tenor uke that will arrive in 2-3 weeks, it's better quality than the other I already have. All solid wood, spruce top and cherry sides/back, and I need some strings suggestion.

I play in a classical orchestra with it so I want a sound more "classical", for this purpose I don't like the aquila nylgut that comes with it (and with my old tenor) because they have such a stiffness that make them vibrate less and have too low sustain, since I changed the strings to classical guitar ones it improved a lot. I don't like fluorocarbon strings, too elastic. I like a bit of tension, but a tension that vibrates and resonates. Can't exlplain how the sound and playability of my cheap tenor improved with classical guitar strings, that's why I would like to continue that way on the new uke. Even if I'm open to your suggestions :)

On the tenor I'm currently playing I have the trebles of D'Addario Pro-Arte Classical Guitar Strings Normal Tension EJ45 with a LaBella No.834 wound folk D string (gauge 031) for low-G.
I really enjoy them, but I heard that the EJ46 hard tension version sounds better on ukulele.
I don't know, what do you think? I could benefit in terms of volume and sustain if I try the hard tension set?
They're just a little thicker but not too much.

This is the string gauge comparison chart of the 2 sets: (omitting the other 2 strings)
  • (EJ46) hard tension
E: 0285
B: 0327
G: 0410
D: 030

• (EJ45) normal tension
E: 0280
B: 0322
G: 0403
D: 029

Strings and plectra represent our physical connection to the instrument. Consequently any opinion about strings will necessarily be intensely personal.

Strings are cheap. Try ‘em all.

I agree that "sound better" depends a lot on your playing style and playing skill.

I have read that Jake Shimabukuro uses these d'Addario guitar strings on his ukulele (product numbers):
J4401 for G
J4402 for E
J4403 for C
J4401 for A
Of course he sounds great. Of course I don't have the same skill level as him, so I use easier strings.

I agree that "sound better" depends a lot on your playing style and playing skill.

I have read that Jake Shimabukuro uses these d'Addario guitar strings on his ukulele (product numbers):
J4401 for G
J4402 for E
J4403 for C
J4401 for A
Of course he sounds great. Of course I don't have the same skill level as him, so I use easier strings.
oh those are the extra hard ones of the D'addario Pro-art, I don't think I would play good on them. I'm nowhere as good as him.
I'm only a young intermediate ukulele player coming from guitar, I play mainly classical-fingerpicking.

@cdkrugjr
thanks I will try it anyway, strings are cheap.
I only asked in case any of you already tried this combination and could share some tips :)

IME the .030w is a too tight for low G, so I'd try the EJ45 set first. The .029w will be plenty tight and not "floppy" at all.

(I've personally gone to .028w (NYL028w) for low G on my tenors. They are still clear and nowhere near floppy.)

IME the .030w is a too tight for low G, so I'd try the EJ45 set first. The .029w will be plenty tight and not "floppy" at all.

(I've personally gone to .028w (NYL028w) for low G on my tenors. They are still clear and nowhere near floppy.)
The low G (folk guitar D string, not even classical) I have now is .031 probably too much, I was thinking about replacing because the "problem" is that it sounds too good and has such a great sustain that it overpowers the other nylon strings.
So that's why I thought of switching all to the J45 set or go harder tension for all with J46, and the low G would pass from the current .031 to .030
😅

Have used EJ45 & EJ46 strings before - the 46's can be played more forcefully resulting in more volume, sustain & sound quality without distorting. (This is in terms of fingerpicking.) Tried extra hard tension but that was a bit much for me.

I tried normal tension of the classical guitar set on a tenor uke tuned to standard. IMO it sounded like the soundboard was under too high tension and it was a choked with low volume. Once I tuned down a half or full step, it way sounded better. Too low tension will get buzzy floppy strings and low volume, but too high also does the same because the soundboard is struggling and can cause damage. This was on a Kanilea where the bracing is different and there is no way I'd use hard or extra hard on a 17" tuned to GCEA. If your ukulele has a thicker top or is more heavily braced then it might work. I'd say just try it because it's a personal preference. You can try the D'Addario nylon strings meant for ukulele. FYI I hate the new nylgut in the yellow packages too.

Top Bottom