"Build a Ukulele"

Jerryc41

Reaction score
A local boat-building shop is running a class on building a ukulele. The kit costs $150, but the "fee" is $381!!! Why would anyone sign up for that? Stewart-MacDonald has kits starting at under $100, and there are how-to videos on YouTube. The class is limited to six people, but I think that's wishful thinking.

I guess we have to assume that the guy teaching has enough experience building nice sounding ukes, otherwise it would be a waste of money. If you don't own any tools or equipment and want to learn how to bend, construct and finish, it could be well worth it...assuming the guy has enough experience in building nice sounding ukes. Some people can be interested in building but will be afraid to start building on their own without someone there to ask questions and lead the way no matter how many YouTube videos there are out there.

The local boat building shop??

I've owned a few cars that "drove like a boat."

Maybe you could build a uke that "sounds like a boat."

I bet you don't have one of those!

A local boat-building shop is running a class on building a ukulele. The kit costs $150, but the "fee" is $381!!! Why would anyone sign up for that? Stewart-MacDonald has kits starting at under $100, and there are how-to videos on YouTube. The class is limited to six people, but I think that's wishful thinking.
How much do other types of classes cost in your area? I doesn't sound crazy if the final product is on par with a $400 uke. Some people work better in a class, and YouTube doesn't motivate enough for them.

Sure, you can do it yourself with a YouTube guide, but for a lot of people, having an instructor can push someone to actually try it instead of just thinking about it and procrastinating.

Depends on what's taught in the class. Could be a huge bargain at only $381. I don't know enough details about the class being offered, but I think the $ spent for the kit is simply like a "supplies fee" for many art/craft classes. Hard to put a price on education, but like I said, could be a huge bargain.

"IF" said boat builder is also a luthier ie has built stringed instruments and particularly UKULELES then it's a bargain. If not then you are just getting a course in woodworking. That might be worth it to some people and you do end up making a ukulele. How if sounds and plays would be a big gamble.

A year ago I built a guitar with Luis of "LfdM Guitars and Ukuleles". I did a thread in the Guitar subforum of the full build . I knew I was being taught by a master in his shop with all his equipment. I would do it again with him or with any established luthier.

Last edited:
You’re getting more than an ukulele. It’s an experience. You’re learning something, you’re having fun, you’re interacting with other woodworking and ukulele enthusiasts.

I teach guitar and ukulele. Why would anyone pay for my lessons and classes when they could learn for free on Youtube?

There is a company near me that charges $2000 for a solid body guitar class. No special premium wood either, just standard and probably some hand rub oil finish. Around $4000 for the acoustic guitar class. I would never pay that much for a 1 week workshop, would rather spend the money on tools and wood so I can learn through trial and error. The first guitar or ukulele someone builds will likely be crap.

There is a company near me that charges $2000 for a solid body guitar class. No special premium wood either, just standard and probably some hand rub oil finish. Around $4000 for the acoustic guitar class. I would never pay that much for a 1 week workshop, would rather spend the money on tools and wood so I can learn through trial and error. The first guitar or ukulele someone builds will likely be crap.

I get what you're saying, but I feel like you could easily exceed those costs through trial and error.

Well, YouTube videos are free so it wouldn't like there is no instruction whatsoever.

I have seen building classes that are far more expensive. It is always a case of what you value and where your priorities might be. We could question all kinds of things once you boil them down to some basic elements.

Why pay money to go to a restaurant? It is just food and you can cook food yourself. Buy a cookbook or watch an online video. Why pay so much for a uke? It is small and just some pieces of wood, etc etc

How does one put a price on knowledge and skill?

I have very little experience with woodworking or luthiery. I don't own any tools or have the workspace. If I had someone to guide me and help me avoid the problems that a novice might face, it could be well worth it.

Well, YouTube videos are free so it wouldn't like there is no instruction whatsoever.

On the flip side, the class is probably providing tools.

Doing it on your own, you're likely to use up more build materials through trial and error. And that's not even putting a monetary value on your own time and effort that a knowledgeable person could help with.

Top Bottom