Pono Master Series vs Pro Classic

AncientMatingCalls

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with both the new (and unfortunately discontinued) Master Series and the Pro Classic series? The reviews about the master series have been more than glowing. The stock is pretty low at this point, and won’t be replenished.

So at this point I’m left with the used market, hoping a MS cedar tenor becomes available. Or I can look into the Pro Classic series.

So any insights comparing the two series would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Or does anyone have a comparison between the Pro Classics and the standard/deluxe models? Are differences purely cosmetic? Or is there a sound quality difference?

Wow, I didn't know they discontinued the Master Series.

Correct me if I am wrong but I remember in one of the podcast Andrew mentioned that the master series was exclusive to HMS. I think he is the one who wanted it to have latticed bracing. Maybe it was a test to see how it would sound and also how the demand for it would be like. So they discontinued the pro classics and replaced it with the master series. And it seems that they have rebranded the master series as Oli with a lot more bling and more custom inputs like bevelled armrest, side sound port, etc. it could also be that the price has got so much more that they don’t want it to be branded as a Pono anymore since Pono is supposed to be the more affordable Koolau. Recently they also introduced the Kalele series to make Pono more affordable again and so I guess all the other models like the deluxe and non deluxe models that have gone up a bit in price will be the target for those who are shopping in that price range. So they have the ‘budget’ Kaleles and if you want to upgrade there are the Ponos, a further upgrade would be the Olis, and then Koolau. That’s my take anyway.

Well you know what they say about opinions….here’s mine. I think Contrails is right about the Master Series and TUS. But I think there are other dealers, at least in the US, who continue to sell Pono and their upper end is still the Pro Classic, but that’s what I think and not what I know. And if I’m anywhere close to right, I would think the Pono Master Series would eventually be available thru those other dealers. Why would Pono just toss a successful product because TUS upped their game and intro’d a new line. But I also understand that TUS doesn’t want to carry all the Pono stock because since the ‘Oli line probably has a higher profit margin since Andrew imagined and designed it. Now, having said that, it also appears that the ‘Oli line may offer more goodies for a slightly better price, so Pono should either lower their prices or improve their offerings. But offering the Master Series to the other dealers now, and maybe even replacing the Pro Classic altogether makes good business sense. Let me state I have no inside knowledge of anything I’ve just said and have formed my opinions from info posted in the forum by other members(who shall remain anonymous since I can’t remember who they were)

Well you know what they say about opinions….here’s mine. I think Contrails is right about the Master Series and TUS. But I think there are other dealers, at least in the US, who continue to sell Pono and their upper end is still the Pro Classic, but that’s what I think and not what I know. And if I’m anywhere close to right, I would think the Pono Master Series would eventually be available thru those other dealers. Why would Pono just toss a successful product because TUS upped their game and intro’d a new line. But I also understand that TUS doesn’t want to carry all the Pono stock because since the ‘Oli line probably has a higher profit margin since Andrew imagined and designed it. Now, having said that, it also appears that the ‘Oli line may offer more goodies for a slightly better price, so Pono should either lower their prices or improve their offerings. But offering the Master Series to the other dealers now, and maybe even replacing the Pro Classic altogether makes good business sense. Let me state I have no inside knowledge of anything I’ve just said and have formed my opinions from info posted in the forum by other members(who shall remain anonymous since I can’t remember who they were)
I certainly hope that will be the case. Hard to say if Pono will be interested in carrying on the MS line.

As for Oli, I agree they offer some nice appointments that will be appreciated by many, but for me personally I’m not interested. Solely because I’m a left handed player, so some of the new add ons (side port/beveling) are wasted on me. I also like the classic simplicity of Pono’s aesthetic.

I’ve emailed Noah at Pono/Ko’olau to ask if they’re considering moving forward with the Master Series.
That's what I'm talking about...somebody with some horsepower. Let's put all these opinions to rest. Nice work AncientMatingCalls

This may help.

Thanks Bibs. I have mixed emotions reading this, but nothing to do with PC or MS. The Kalele only being available in mahoghany and mango? No acacia? And a whole new lower priced line Oihana? I've been asleep in a cave somewhere...
And that the Oihana line will only be available in gloss finish? Wonder how long that will last? I like change though, so am excited to see their new offerings. And the new Oihana having radiused fret board should suit many. I only have one Pono, and it's an acacia Kalele baritone with satin finish, and no radiused fret board, so I have nothing to compare to, but I'm glad I got a Pono acacia kalele with a satin finish while they were being produced.

This may help.

Somehow, I now own three Pono ukuleles and no others. I’m just really impressed with this company. I really don’t mind them changing their models. As long as they make great ukuleles at good price points while conducting what appears to be responsible/ethical manufacturing, I’m going to be a fan.

If you (or I) like the older models, there is always the used marketplace. I hope to someday add a Kamaka tenor to my small collection, but I also have my eye on one more Pono tenor at some point. They’re just really great playing instruments!

Somehow, I now own three Pono ukuleles and no others. I’m just really impressed with this company. I really don’t mind them changing their models. As long as they make great ukuleles at good price points while conducting what appears to be responsible/ethical manufacturing, I’m going to be a fan.

If you (or I) like the older models, there is always the used marketplace. I hope to someday add a Kamaka tenor to my small collection, but I also have my eye on one more Pono tenor at some point. They’re just really great playing instruments!
I have a post up in the Marketplace searching for a Master Series tenor. Fingers crossed I get a hit sometime.

I certainly hope that will be the case. Hard to say if Pono will be interested in carrying on the MS line.

As for Oli, I agree they offer some nice appointments that will be appreciated by many, but for me personally I’m not interested. Solely because I’m a left handed player, so some of the new add ons (side port/beveling) are wasted on me. I also like the classic simplicity of Pono’s aeaesthetic.
Maybe 'Oli will make some lefty ukes! Side ports are pretty nice 😁

Looking forward to what you hear back from Noa. We should take bets!

Based on info I've seen, I think the MS line might be discontinued.

Maybe 'Oli will make some lefty ukes! Side ports are pretty nice 😁

Looking forward to what you hear back from Noa. We should take bets!

Based on info I've seen, I think the MS line might be discontinued.
You have no idea how long I’ve wanted a uke with a side port… I’m not holding my breath though. 😄

Didn't Tim Wilson cover this question? (post #3) -edit- this should be post #6

Last edited:
Top Bottom