Jukeboxes, Phone Booths and Transistor Radios

Did you mean Greg Allman? He covered the song by Blind Willie McTell who recorded the song in 1928.
That was 100% ignorance on my part. Call it regional hubris, but I’ve presumed my entire life that Greg wrote SB.

Or forgetting to and having it ripped off.
During the school holidays I used to help out at my parents' friend's car wash, and it took me several goes before I realised I was never going to get the knack of lifting and rotating the wing mirrors before they went in the car wash, but at least they came off in my hand, rather than the car wash 😳 😂. Losing an aerial was another matter; sometimes it wasn't spotted until another car went through and both cars would get a sound thrashing, necessitating a paint job. But by far the most impressive feat was a Post Office driver who panicked and drove forward into the automatic washing machine, pushing the roof pillar of his van back about an inch and the machine out of action for weeks, until it could be remounted on its guide rails. 😲

Roller skates
Soda fountains
Board games
Saddle shoes
Mimeographs (loved the smell)
Blackboards
Usherettes
Outhouses
Sandlots
Paper planes
Bubblegum cards
Joke shops
Black and white TV
Reel lawnmowers
Puppet shows
Go out and play!

God, I am old.

And why didn’t Bob Marley want that woman to cry about the government yard in Trench Town?

Sodium lights. Until about five years ago, all streets were orange every night!
Ah, good ole HPS streetlights. I always assumed that orange glow was what they were referring to in the Long Black Veil lyric, “someone killed ‘neath the town hall light”.

Ah, good ole HPS streetlights. I always assumed that orange glow was what they were referring to in the Long Black Veil lyric, “someone killed ‘neath the town hall light”.
They sure did look ghastly... starting in the late 60s, I believe. Saw them first when driving in on the (then) Congress Expressway toward Chicago. That was a the sign still strobed when it dotted the "i" after spelling H-O-T-P-O-I-N-T.

Last edited:
Sodium lights. Until about five years ago, all streets were orange every night!
Every morning I'm out at dawn with the dwarfs and tramps
For a silent communion lit from above by the sodium lamps

- Peter Gabriel, On the Air

Good one. Everything about the night outside changed when we shifted to the modern white LEDs.

Everything about the night outside changed when we shifted to the modern white LEDs.
I'm really interested in this subject.

I'm trying to imagine what my town will sound like when there are very few petrol or diesel cars on the road, as we are being told will be the inevitable march of progress. We will have lived through a little blip of history that will make sense to no-one.

Mind you, I bet you could say the same if you worked on a farm before and after the second world war!

These technologies feel permanent, but then they vanish.

I don’t know. Chart shows are extremely popular with K-Pop fans worldwide.
We have Mike Read's Heritage Chart Show in the UK, which would be unlikely to appeal to the under 25-year-olds mentioned in the original post 😂 At its peak the BBC were wiping tapes of Top of the Pops featuring classic bands like The Beatles, which seems unthinkable now. The Dutch TopPop, far superior to the UK's Top of the Pops technically, lasted until 1988, to be followed by the UK's TOTP in 2006. It's only because of the Dutch that we have the official video of Bowie performing Rebel Rebel 50 years ago. :love:

Last edited:
Top Bottom