Goin’ for Baroque

Yeah, shopping music stores in San Diego was one of my favorite things to do. I played trumpet then and some of the other brasses a bit later. I usta day dream about being a instrument repairman in a music store.

It’s a shame that most of them, where I live now, are gone. The few that are still around don’t have much in ‘em.

Last edited:
I like the pipes too. I was gonna buy a chanter back awhile but talked myself out of it. I decided that they were just too loud.

And my recorders are very loud also. I live in a condo, and there are lots of people nearby. I’m now thinkin’ of buyin’ a Tenor. Maybe its low tones won’t be so piercing— I dunno.
Living in a condo would make playing the pipes difficult - even in Scotland.

Looking back, it's kind of amazing to think that I practiced every day for years from childhood through college, living in a smaller apartment in Chicago in a neighborhood with closely packed apartment buildings - each separated by a narrow gangway. It never occurred to me to think of what the neighbors thought - and they never said anything negative. In hindsight, I have no doubt that my dad thought it was hilarious to impose that on the neighbors.

Living in a condo would make playing the pipes difficult - even in Scotland.

Looking back, it's kind of amazing to think that I practiced every day for years from childhood through college, living in a smaller apartment in Chicago in a neighborhood with closely packed apartment buildings - each separated by a narrow gangway. It never occurred to me to think of what the neighbors thought - and they never said anything negative. In hindsight, I have no doubt that my dad thought it was hilarious to impose that on the neighbors.
Maybe they thought you kept cows.

Yeah, I’ve always been an avid shopper. I love go to the Mall now and look at stuff and at the other shoppers. Of course, I married someone who only likes shopping when she needs something — ahhh well . . .

Unfortunately, there’s very few good music stores nearby, so I hafta be satisfied looking at pictures of stuff on the internet. Life sure has changed since the good ol’ days.

NRD! Well, I received my new Yamaha Tenor Recorder last night. I only got to try it out a bit, but it seems to be okay.

I thought it might be less shrill on the high notes than my others. I guess I’ll find out today, but, so far so good. I like its looks.

Well, my progress with the tenor recorder is slow but enjoyable. It’s slow because one hasta memorize to learn, and memorizin’ isn’t one of my forte’s. But it’s comin’ along . . . I have a coupla Bach pieces that I’m workin’ on plus scales, scales, scales.

Well, my progress with the tenor recorder is slow but enjoyable. It’s slow because one hasta memorize to learn, and memorizin’ isn’t one of my forte’s. But it’s comin’ along . . . I have a coupla Bach pieces that I’m workin’ on plus scales, scales, scales.
Scales are soooo boring, but they do have a use and do help with building skill … still hate them though.

What book are you using for Bach? You of course realise that the same book can be used to finger pick on the Uke, there’s obviously no TAB but if you know the fretboard then the notes are all there.

I’m usin’ “Bach for Recorder and Guitar” arr. by Eugene Reichenthal for Soprano and Tenor. I like it a lot so far.

I don't finger pick my ukes much because I have so trouble with chords.

Top Bottom