NUUD: Makala MK-SN £5

jollyboy

Reaction score
Just bought a used Makala MK-SN from the junk shop across the road. It cost me a fiver. It needs a good clean and some new strings, and the tuners are a bit rusty (but appear to be working). But apart from that it looks fine - neck looks okay, fretboard looks okay. I've been thinking about getting a cheap littlun to take out and about with me - this should be ideal :)

Just bought a used Makala MK-SN from the junk shop across the road. It cost me a fiver. It needs a good clean and some new strings, and the tuners are a bit rusty (but appear to be working). But apart from that it looks fine - neck looks okay, fretboard looks okay. I've been thinking about getting a cheap littlun to take out and about with me - this should be ideal :)

Bargain of the week ... nay, the month! A fiver?!!!

Very cool, congrats on a great score. A 5 spot is so little for sooooo much fun :music:

Wow, 5 bucks! I drove halfway across the county to get a concert uke for $10, but the lady selling it wasn't home, so boo hoo. But, congrats on yours!

What a score! Now if deals like that don't get the tourists going down to Cornwall this Summer then nothing will.

I had an MK-SN, it was the first Uke that I bought and it served me quite well. After sorting out the nut and fitting Martin strings it sounded fine - well I thought so and even with me playing it - and the intonation was good all down the neck. Perhaps I should have kept it as a beater but I gifted it to beginer who had a poor quality painted type Uke that was hindering her progress - she had limited funds and the (noticeably) better Uke helped her onwards.

Last edited:
Well I've cleaned it up and ordered some new strings, and I've taken the tuners off and have them soaking in some white vinegar, which seems to be doing the trick. I've also buffed up the frets with some 00 wire wool and applied some lemon oil to the fingerboard.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the MK-S and the MK-SN. It seems to be a bit of a mystery.

Well I've cleaned it up and ordered some new strings, and I've taken the tuners off and have them soaking in some white vinegar, which seems to be doing the trick. I've also buffed up the frets with some 00 wire wool and applied some lemon oil to the fingerboard.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the MK-S and the MK-SN. It seems to be a bit of a mystery.

As far as I can see / search there isn't one and the extra reference character is historical, perhaps the 'N' was for natural (in case a painted version was brought out) or Nato wood (edit or normal shape).

Edit. The Dolphin is MK-SD and the (much later) Shark is MK-SS so a differing identifier is needed or implied.

I hope that the vinegar wasn't over aggressive, I think that I've heard of it being used before but am wary of acids 'eating' things. How's the bargain 'polishing up'? Is it ready for the beach yet?

Last edited:
I hope that the vinegar wasn't over aggressive, I think that I've heard of it being used before but am wary of acids 'eating' things. How's the bargain 'polishing up'? Is it ready for the beach yet?

The vinegar loosened up the rust and I got most of the residue off with some wire wool. The tuners are back on now and I'm just waiting for the strings to arrive. The uke is looking good - I mean it's obviously had a few bumps and scrapes but that just adds character ;)

The 'N' designation may be for non gloss, I have the KA-S & it is gloss finish, I also have a Makala Pineapple soprano, MK-PN, which is non gloss - but it also looks like a different wood than the other Makala ukes, so might be to distinguish the wood type.

Top Bottom