EJ88UB - Bass Ukulele Nyltech String

Fuzzbass

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the D'Addario EJ88UB - Bass Ukulele Nyltech Strings fit the acoustic UBass?

In all the documents about them I've seen online these strings are MADE for the U-Bass, acoustic or solid-body and as per a guy I spoke to on the phone from D'Addario in January, he said that they have designed and tested them for both acoustic and solid-body U-bass and other uke-basses made by companies OTHER than Kala...

They tend to be cheaper than the Thunderguts, which I did NOT like, but I have not been motivated to waste another $20 on these and not like them as well (they are using a formula to make them that is licensed/based upon the Aquila Thungergut strings, but slightly different)...

I tend to prefer the black Pahoehoe strings, and have found them to be consistent once broken in.

Having said all the above, I only use my uke basses at home for songwriting and recording, so I have no field experience gigging with them, so I cannot say how the strings might hold up 'out there'...

Thanks for you reply. I'm really torn! I have never really got on with the "rubber" like strings on the UBass. I have had a couple of sets of the Pyramid Silver strings on over the last year or so. I supposed having been a bass player for 20 odd years, I feel a little more at home with these. I was sort of hoping the D'addarios were more along those lines. The only two things I worry about with the Pyramid strings are the eating away at the bridge that occurs, and the string noise, other than that I really like them. I find the intonation much better and they sound a little clearer to me. I'm having my Acoustic UBass set up this week with a new nut and a new saddle as my action is a little high for my taste. I was debating whether to try the Nyltech strings this time, but I think I'll stick to the Pyramids for now. :)

Fellow UU brother kohanmike has recommended to me these Gold Tone flatwound steel bass strings (link below).

They call them tape wound, but they're made like standard steel flatwound strings but extra short.

He tells me that he "uses them on all his magnetic pickup short basses and just put a set on my Rondo Hadean solid body bass uke with under saddle pickup and they work great that way too".

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/accessories/mbls

Not sure if they'd have too much tension for an acoustic u-bass, but you could contact Gold Tone and find out what the string tension is for the scale length.

These are next on my list to try. I prefer flatwound/smooth strings whenever possible.

As Booli said. Even though D'Addario says they designed the strings, when they sent me an evaluation set, I found them to be the Aquila Thunderguts, exactly the same in every way.

Instead of the expensive Pyramids, try the Kala version nylon core, steel wound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom