Ukulele Truss Rods

UCLAMAN

Reaction score
I know the pono brand has truss rods in their ukes. I was just wondering which other companies put truss rods in their ukes?

how important is it to have a truss rod in a uke?

Not hugely important. They're more common in 6 and 8-string ukes, but most ukes don't have/need truss rods.

A truss rod on a ukulele is a bad idea in my opinion. It would throw off the balance.

String tension is not high on a ukulele and a truss rod is not a required feature. I would never buy a steel-stringed guitar without one, though.

Isn't it just the Pono tenor that has a truss rod?

It does seem pointless though. :)

With the low string tension on a soprano or concert uke I think a rod would be pointless. And like Pippin said, it'd screw with the balance.

Even some mandolins (Jimmy Moon's for example) don't have truss rods and they hold up just fine. If 8 steel/PB strings at serious tension can get away without one then a nylon-strung uke so doesn't need to worry.

Truss rods aren't primarily for structural reinforcement (or shouldn't be, if the luthier knows his craft), they are to allow adjustment of neck relief to suit action and playing style. The string tension on a uke is so low that I doubt a slackened rod would let the strings pull any bow into the neck, and most uke necks I've seen look flat with no noticeable relief built in.

Long winded way of saying small ukes don't need truss rods and, IMO, tenors and baritones are most unlikely to.

i dont care much for light weight, but i somewhat agree with others on the lack of need for a truss rod in an ukulele.

but then again, i have seen some ukuleles that had bowed necks. as a result of what? couldnt tell ya. but on those particular pieces, i wish they had once.

I have a Pono PTS-E with the truss rod in the neck. I doubt that it needs it, but balance isn't an issue (though it's a bit heavy - which I like) and I love the uke, truss rod or no!

I don't think you are talking truss rods here, which are adjustable and common in guitars, but rather reinforcement rods that are glued into the neck and are static. The modern composites that are commonly used as neck stiffeners are frequently lighter than the wood itself yet many, many times stronger.
You'll find reinforced necks in the best of customs for the reasons mentioned above dealing with changes in temperature and humidity. Wood has a nasty habit of changing over the years and a reinforcement bar will keep it pretty stable. Most of my necks are Spanish cedar, an extremely light wood. The carbon fiber composite rod I epoxy into my necks make them very light, strong and stable, the three qualities you want in a good neck.

Well there's a clear difference in pono tenors and pono concerts/sopranos, personally I would only stick to the tenors, and the truss rod in those has no effect, beautiful instruments

I don't think you are talking truss rods here, which are adjustable and common in guitars, but rather reinforcement rods that are glued into the neck and are static. The modern composites that are commonly used as neck stiffeners are frequently lighter than the wood itself yet many, many times stronger.
You'll find reinforced necks in the best of customs for the reasons mentioned above dealing with changes in temperature and humidity. Wood has a nasty habit of changing over the years and a reinforcement bar will keep it pretty stable. Most of my necks are Spanish cedar, an extremely light wood. The carbon fiber composite rod I epoxy into my necks make them very light, strong and stable, the three qualities you want in a good neck.

Word up. Straight from an expert's mouth.

mele ukuleles use truss rods
I seriously doubt it. You're probably thinking of a reinforcement rod. Two very different things that function differently.
BTW, I don't earn enough money to deserve the title "expert". I'm just a craftsman who's made a zillion mistakes and hopefully has learned from most of them.;)

Last edited:

MGM actually says the Pono tenors have a "two way adjustable truss rod" in them.

See here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/PONO-PTMS-CE...UKULELE-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270338126077

Also, Aaron at Hawaii Music Supply reviews a PTSE in this video and talks specifically about the adjustable truss rod in the Pono tenors and baritones. explaining it in terms of humudity differences and warping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xnNs56GsI&feature=related

Pono does in fact have an adjustable truss rod (I own one.), but it's completely pointless in my opinion. The tension on a 4-string tenor typically isn't high enough to see any measurable change in the neck's bend after "adjusting" (I tried.).

Not only does Kitakis spec them in the Ponos, my Ko'olau T-1 has one. Haven't ever been tempted to play with it.

Most of my necks are Spanish cedar, an extremely light wood. The carbon fiber composite rod I epoxy into my necks make them very light, strong and stable, the three qualities you want in a good neck.

Not to say that I'm copying Chuck just to agree with him, but I'm copying Chuck and I agree with him.

I do the same to my Spanish Cedar (and Hondo, and Maple) necks. Carbon fiber expoxied in provides for a very stiff neck, with similar results in making the headstock heavier. Also, allows me to thin the neck profile a little more, should the player request it.

Suffice to say, reinforcing the neck has made a difference in sound output from the instrument. Anyone can believe it, or not. My clients (and Chuck's I assume) are not complaining.

-Aaron

I had a Pono tenor with the adjustable truss rod. I actually was able to lower the action a tiny bit into an acceptable range using that adjustment. I don't think the reason for having the truss rod was for action adjustment though.

Top Bottom