Buzz question

plunker

Reaction score
The uke is a Pono Tenor Mahogany deluxe, with a pick up. I popped the "A" string. I replaced it, now I get a buzz/rattle from the "e" string. I thought I would ask here before taking it in. Nothing else was changed.

Give it a bit of time to settle in with all strings tuned up correctly and see if the buzz/rattle goes away on its own.
If not, It'd be helpful to know if it's only the E string. Also it'd be good to know if the problem occurs only when playing the string open, or if it buzzes when fretting too. Was the E string still tuned up to pitch when you were replacing the A?

If it doesn't settle and self-correct, I would be looking for something that has maybe gotten a little loose and needs to be tightened at the tuning machines. If nothing there, I'd wonder if something happened where the saddle sits on the pickup.

It should not be a problem with the nut or saddle itself, or a fret problem either. After all, it was working fine before.

Last edited:
Is there a gap between the fretboard and the top of the uke? I just cured an intermittent buzz on a uke with a "floating fretboard" by stuffing a bit of paper into that gap. Anyway, it's easy to try, and not something that people often look for.

If your A string has popped, the E string may have a enough damage to buzz. Many people restring whole of the 4 strings after popped. Try to check the E string rather than nut, saddle or fretboard first. Pono is great company. We don't need spare E string, you can check it by your A string. Put your A string on your 2nd string position and see what happens. Good luck!

If your A string has popped, the E string may have a enough damage to buzz. Many people restring whole of the 4 strings after popped.
That's a good possibility too. I didn't even think about that when I was typing my original response.
I am one of those who would just do a complete restring, unless the strings were brand new.

Thanks all. A little red faced. Took it to a shop, they noticed the nut was unglued and had slipped in position. Pushed it back and all was fine. Village music and cafe in Wellington, a nice place, they didn't make me feel dumb, live music every Friday.

Thanks all. A little red faced. Took it to a shop, they noticed the nut was unglued and had slipped in position. Pushed it back and all was fine. Village music and cafe in Wellington, a nice place, they didn't make me feel dumb, live music every Friday.
Nothing to be ashamed of there. Things happen. I would've never guessed that without seeing the uke in person. It didn't even enter my mind. That just further confirms that nothing beats having the uke actually in the hands of a good instrument tech. Sometimes our guesses here can help zero in on a problem, but not always.
I'm glad you got it fixed.

Top Bottom