Short scale guitar options?

ichadwick

Reaction score
I've been playing a Kanilea Islander recently and really like it.But I'd like to know what other similar options are available for short-scale (20" or baritone scale preferred) guitars are out there.

What I'd really like is something like Yamaha's Silent Guitar - a travel instrument, nylon, solid body, able to be amplified... but also a shorter scale.

Any suggestions?

The closest thing I have seen to what you are looking for is made by Traveler Guitar:

http://travelerguitar.com/guitars/acoustic

They have a uke also, and their silent guitars are a little cheaper than the ones made by Yamaha.

I have been eye-ing this brand for a while, and if this were 5 yrs ago I might have made the jump, but since ukulele has become my primary instrument now, it's difficult for me to justify the investment, otherwise I would have likely bought the Traveler nylon string model.

There are also, other cheaper options on eBay and Amazon if you search for 'silent guitar' but in all of these choices I'm not sure you are going to find anything smaller than a 25.5" scale length.

But you can ALWAYS say put a capo at the 3rd fret or something, and using higher-tension strings you can tune the guitar such that standard E-A-D-G-B-E pitch or 'E' tuning is on the shorter scale of the 3rd fret AT THE CAPO instead of at the nut (which would make it a shorter scale length) as opposed being tuned up a 3rd like a Terz guitar in G tuning...

So you may be able to shorten the vibrating string length with a capo instead of finding one of these with a shorter neck and thus scale length, effectively giving you a shorter scale

The only real problem with doing this is that if you rely upon the fret dot markers for 3,5,7,10.12 - they may all be in the wrong spots depending which fret you put the capo on.

Last edited:
I really like my Composite Acoustics Cargo in the raw finish. Got mine new with pickup for $800 shipped. You should be able to find one for less used. It sounds great with the amp, is a little quiet without but pretty great for a small body. It's a steel string but has impeccable feel. Scale is 22.25 or 22.50. I think they might have a nylon version now, but you can also string silk and steel. Otherwise check with Emerald Guitars, they have a pricier travel model. Rainsong should have a travel model too. It's more fun if you dig around yourself though! All are carbon fiber or composite variations, with all the advantages of not having to worry about bumps or humidity changes.

Or get a little 24" scale and capo at the second fret, then the fret markers are more accurate, at least in first position. I love my Larrivee' parlor, it's just an old P-01 and they run around $5-600 now used. If you get something with only side dots like a small classical or crossover, you can ignore those or buy some brighter PET dots to place where you want, or just count fret wires from the capo as the nut, it get pretty easy after a few sessions.

If you want a 19" scale and don't mind tuning A to A look for a Tacoma Papoose.

I LOVE my short scales!!!

Attachments

• 20151208_181110.jpg
    20151208_181110.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20151003_164958.jpg
    20151003_164958.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 20
  • gr6uwbmrnjjrc0ubzv8k.jpg
    gr6uwbmrnjjrc0ubzv8k.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 32
Searching for both nylon string and solid body really limits your options, regardless of scale length.

25.5” scale electric SoloEtte “Classical” guitar w/ nylon strings.
Overall length 33”
Offered by SoloEtte.com for $985
http://www.soloette.com/nylonspecs.php

25.5” scale electric Aria “AS-100C/SPL Sinsonido cutaway” guitar w/ nylon strings.
Overall length 33.5”. This model is evidently licensed from SoloEtte, but costs less.
Offered by AdirondackGuitar.com for $599
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/electrics/aria/as-100.htm
http://www.ariauk.com/aria-as-101c-spl-electric-guitar/
http://www.ariauk.com/aria-as-105c-electric-guitar/

25.5” scale acoustic-electric Traveler “EscapeON” guitar w/ nylon strings.
Overall length 29”
Offered by Sweetwater.com for $380
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EscapeON

25.5” scale acoustic-electric Traveler “EscapeClass” guitar w/ nylon strings.
Overall length 30”
Offered by Sweetwater.com for $500
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EscapeClass

24.75” scale acoustic-electric Traveler “UltraLightN” guitar w/ nylon strings.
Overall length 28”
Offered by Sweetwater.com for $300
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLightN

25.5” scale acoustic-electric Godin “MultiAcNyl Encore” guitar w/ nylon strings.
Overall length ?
Offered by Sweetwater.com for $849
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MultiAcNyl

I have no personal experience with any of these, but I have read that (1) steel strings might require less finger pressure than you anticipate, and that (2) hollow bodies can be muffled quite a bit for night-time playing by stuffing fabric in the sound hole. Searching for a short-scale steel-string or a half size classical hollow body would expand your options (Epiphone Express, Lap Axe, Guitalele, SmallGuitars, numerous 1/2 scale classical acoustics, etc.).

OOooo I saw "Kanile'a Islander", which is just the name for the import line, so missed "solid body"! THAT is the perfect excuse for a custom if you want nylon strings!

Or just learn to love steel, way more options for shorter scale. I just sold my Epiphone Pee Wee, it was pretty decent through a nice amp. Full width fretboard, radius, humbucker, 19" scale. Slinky gauges are very comfortable on electrics, and electrics are easier to play than acoustic steel string.

Otherwise if you aren't looking for a super short scale, there's a few nice options in standard bodies at 24" out there. For true electrics there's the Peavey T-15 and T-30 at 24", they are cheap vintage USA made, and the Fender Mustang re-issues. The vintage mustangs had two necks, an A and a B, one was 22" (I believe the A), the other 24".

Last edited:
Not a solid body, but Pono makes a really nice Terz Guitar for steel strings that is just about an inch longer than a baritone:

cordoba mini of course. Pickup would have to be added later.

Pete Howlett has just made a brilliant Terz Guitar. (Baritone Uke size).

Thanks for the suggestions. Like the Pono... I picked up a Yamaha travel guitar recently, too. 23" scale- not as short as I wanted, so I'm still looking...

I've been studying up on resonators, and discovered Republic makes a short scale metal parlor that is around 22". Check out the website for the specific model #, but they are worth a look on YT.

I like my Taylor gs mini, 23.5 scale. Got it used, mint cond $325. I don't find steel strings to be a big deal. My fingers are pretty callused from heavy uke playing. These guitars are well regarded on AGF for their big sound, small size and bargains can be found.

The Ibanez piccolo guitar, I own one and really like it!

Do you have any difficulties with fretting? A 42mm nut seems really narrow to me, for six strings. I don't have thick fingers, but even 44.5mm nuts require a level of precision I had to really get used to first. :) I think 46mm would me perfect to me (I know that 51mm is too wide for me). But, yes, a 17" steel string "guitarlele" is attractive to me too!

No. For me it's easier than either the Yamaha GL1 or Cordoba Guilele CE. I know the Ibanez is somewhat hard to find, but I'd recommend, at least, trying it before you buy.

How is the intonation on yours? How did you get it to intonate right? As suspected, my Ibanez Piccolo goes terribly sharp up the neck. Also, the nut is awefully narrow for me.

How is the intonation on yours? How did you get it to intonate right? As suspected, my Ibanez Piccolo goes terribly sharp up the neck. Also, the nut is awefully narrow for me.

Note: I set up all of my stringed instruments. So, the action is lots lower than the factory set up....

That said, it's good enough to not drive me crazy! I never think about it. I play lots of open chords some up the neck and it's fine. As with all instruments, it's subjective, but I really like it.

It did come with, and I do use, a compensated saddle.

Hi There!

You can also go for Cordoba Mini M or O Guitars. I am using cordoba mini M guitar and enjoying my travel while playing the same. Hope this will help!

Thanks!

Also do you prefer nylon string or steel string? And what nut width, as some are wide like a classical guitar and others more closer to folk size width.

Also, do you prefer shorter scale for easier fretting purposes, or just a smaller overall size guitar for travel purposes?

The Pono someone mentioned is 21.4" scale and steel string, so just slightly larger than a baritone. You might also try the Kinnard Kiku. The Kinnard kiku is 20" scale, and nylon string. And Lichty makes a baby bard guitar and also I think a kiku that are shorter scales.

The problem with most 'guitar companies' that are making baritone scale guitars is that when they shorten the scale length down from 25.5", to 23" or less, they also make the nut narrower, some as narrow as 42mm or 1.65" and if you are used to playing a uke with only 4 strings on a 35mm or 38mm (1.375-1.5") nut, this is going to feel REALLY cramped unless your fingers are as agile as crab legs, with equally thin fingertips.

It seems someone has brainwashed all these guitar makers that SHORTER scale = 7 yr old CHILD guitar and TINY fingers, and thus NONE of them are comfortable if you are used to a wider nut. or wider string spacing.

I have the Cordoba Mini SM-CE, and it has a 51mm nut width (2") which is standard for classical guitar and it is VERY comfortable coming from ukulele. I played classical guitar before ukulele and the string-to-string spacing either way is very close, but nearly ANY steel string electric or acoustic guitar is very difficult for me to fret cleanly, and I seldom have a desire for steel strings these days.

If you want a baritone scale and NOT pay big bucks for a 'kiku' from Kanile'a (Islander), Collings, Pono or Ko'olau, really the ONLY option in the budget side of things is the Cordoba Mini, which start at about $199 new.

Even a Requinto, or a 1/2-size guitar is going to have a nut width of only 45mm, which for 6 strings is really cramped for me.

Top Bottom