Trying to determine age and value of a Gibson

Cpapendick

Reaction score
I have a Gibson ukulele that I’m guessing was made in the 1940’s. It was given to my wife by her dad 20 years ago.
I can’t find the serial number anywhere on the outside. Does anyone know how to determine age or value ?
I have pictures.

Thanks in advance
Charlie

Best bet is to do a search on ebay and see what similar models have sold for. While you can look at active listings on there or various other seller sites, sometimes those can be unrealistic. It will also vary based on condition.

There's an article in the current Fretboard Journal (#40) on Gibson ukuleles, which gives you a good indication of their age, based on the appointments.

Some Gibsons had a number on the neck block, on the inside, either stamped in ink or very lightly pencilled. Sopranos often lack them, and the numbers aren't serial numbers at all, but something called Factory Order Numbers (FONs), used in a rather random way to calculate the wood supply that went into building that particular batch of ukuleles - so they weren't very chronological and sometimes were even repeated after a few years. But they can give an idea of when the instruments were built.

I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom