What happend to The Cosmos?

FadaBullet

Reaction score
I went to the Ukulele Cosmos webpage and got this message:

"This Account Has Been Suspended" :confused:

Hopefully it's just a server glitch or something.

Looks like they got hacked!! Another forum I am on got the same deal. Took a couple of days to get it back up.. Hackers try to get any info they can off a forum.

Bummer. Hope Alli can get it back up soon. :(

Could be a black hole or another singularity.

Had me ROTFL, that did. But I suppose some people might not realize they're the same thing...

The account suspended page and the whois information for the cosmos are the same company, so it doesn't smell like a hack.

Alli tells me the host complained of too much activity on the site, and pulled the plug. She is working with them to sort out the problem.

Ukantor.

Alli tells me the host complained of too much activity on the site, and pulled the plug. She is working with them to sort out the problem.

Ukantor.

Sounds like either a hack or a spambot raid. phpBB is an open source platform which sometimes lends itself to those things. I never had anything against Alli, she seems like a nice enough person. Hope they get it back up soon.

Had me ROTFL, that did. But I suppose some people might not realize they're the same thing...

Ah... can o' worms... :D

A singularity is usually considered to be a part (the crucial part) of a black hole, but they're not quite the same thing. Not all singularities are associated with a BH.

Some models describe the pre-Big Bang point as a singularity.

And then there's the Vinge Singularity in AI theory...

[/sad geek who reads too much SF, physics and cosmology and needs to get out more]

Meanwhile, re. Cosmos - A spam or hack attack seems likely :( Any time one of my sites exceeded bandwidth through normal-seeming activity the host always let me know rather than just suspending the account. If Alli's host has good customer service I'd expect the same, so perhaps they recognised suspicious activity and took a precaution.

At least a Cosmos announcement page is now showing, so fingers crossed.

Hi all,

Firstly thanks to Rayan for his comments.

Cosmos is down because Bluehost (the website hosting company) say that processes are too slow and traffic is too high and therefore there is a knock on effect to other users of their server. I don't know if this is normal or acceptable. What I find unacceptable is the suspension of the account without warning and then on top of that they are saying that they will only keep the Cosmos files for 15 days. At the moment I've managed to sweet talk them into being a bit more helpful and they have given me a very long list of things to do to try to get things up and running again as normal. Unfortunately, with the time difference between me and Bluehost plus the fact that I have a full time day job, it's going to take longer than just a couple of hours to fix.

I'll be working on it this evening (GMT) and hopefully will be up and running again soon.

phpBB for Dummies anyone??

That'll be a relief, Alli. Going cold turkey is cruel - I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

All the best,

Ukantor (JC)

Last edited:
phpBB for Dummies anyone??

Most important thing is to go to the Administration Panel/General Admin/Backup Database.
That way the forum data will be stored to your computer (when you got this file make a backup for yourself too and store it somewhere else).
In case you will host Cosmos somewhere else you can install phpBB there and use Restore database to get the data back.

Bluehost are notoriously crappy (but often get recommended because they have a generous affiliate program). I'd move to Hostgator as quick as you can.

Top Bottom