The case on cases - Calton, Kamoa, Ameritage, Kamaka

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Back in January I heard about a new fiberglass ukulele case that was coming onto the market. After doing a little research, I discovered Kamoa fiberglass cases. http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/line/cases/ They looked like a lightweight, attractive option for those who do a lot of traveling with their ukes, so back in March I made the decision to purchase one. Initially I intended to get a red one, but when I went to place my order, Sam (the owner) told me that I could opt for a custom color.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the color teal, so the opportunity to get a case in that color seemed like a dream come true. So I went ahead and placed my order. After months of worrying over whether I made the right color choice, and tons of emails that I sent pestering Sam about the status of my order, I finally received the magic email from him, my case had arrived.

Fortunately, I planned on being in Kauai the next week anyway so I made the decision to pick up my new case in person - with the caveat that if I didn't like the color in person, I could opt for a red one. I finally got there and saw it in person, and I really liked it a lot. I wish I could capture the color in a photo better than I did (and I spent a ton of time trying with three different cameras and still couldn't adequately show it accurately).

blueclosed.JPG

It is, as best I can describe it, a bright teal under direct sunlight or in bright lighting. Which I absolutely love! In other light, it can appear periwinkle or powder blue -- less attractive to me but still not bad. I guess I would say when the lighting is right, I love the color. When it is not (as in my photos), I might prefer the red. Was it worth the wait for the custom color? I can't say for sure, I think in the end it was, as I do really like it in the right lighting. But would I do it again? Probably not. I'm planning on ordering a red one for my Kanile'a rather than trying another custom option.

blueside.JPG

For starters, this is an extremely lightweight case. I weighed it with the ukulele inside and it barely registered at four pounds. It has four latches, which make it quite secure. I should note, you have to take care to latch it properly. You need to push on the top of the latch before adhering the bottom portion or else it won't latch securely. I made that mistake the first time I put my uke in it, and noticed the bottom latch wasn't closed properly and was hanging open. Now that I know it takes no time at all to close it, but I do take care to ensure it is done properly.

In addition to the black latches and trim, there is a black lightly padded handle. It is made out of leather (or pleather) and is very comfortable to hold onto -- by far the most comfortable of the three tested in this review.

bluehandle.JPG

In addition to the hand carry option, you can choose to wear it on your back -- backpack style, or slung over one shoulder. This is another advantage over the other cases reviewed below. Neither of those have any option but the hand carry -- tough when you are traveling or loaded down with a lot of stuff. (In both cases I added d rings to add a leather strap so I could sling those over my shoulder, but neither was as comfortable as the Kamoa -- which you literally could forget is on your back it is so comfortable).

blueback.jpg

To be continued...

The case itself is extremely compact as well. It measures 29" long, 10.5" at its widest point, and only 4" tall. My Kamaka ukulele fits very snugly into the case, with only 0.5" clearance at the top. I do have an input jack on my ukulele, and the case accommodates that fine. Another nice feature to the body design is the rubber feet (four of them) on the bottom of the case, allowing it to stand upright -- a feature that is a sure plus.

blueinside.JPG

An additional nice feature is the small hygrometer that comes with the case. While it may not be 100% reliable, it doesn't hurt to have an idea of the temperature and humidity readings. The hygrometer initially was placed on the interior top of the case, but Sam decided that it was likely to scratch the headstock in that position, so it has now been moved to the bottom, under the neck portion of the ukulele. In mine, it had not been glued in yet, allowing me to choose any position I wished, and I opted for that location.

The padding in this case is not very plush, but it is well padded. Unlike other cases I have owned, this one does not use a faux fur lining. Instead, it has a velvet like interior on all the surfaces, including on the little pillow cushion the neck rests upon.

blueopen.JPG

Now, it should be noted, this case is not perfect. Unlike the minimal storage in the Kamaka case, and the maximum storage offered in the Ameritage, there is literally NO storage compartment in this case. None. So if you want a case that will allow you to bring along your string winder, extra strings, tuner, etc., this may not be the case for you. It is not a big factor for me as I usually carry a backpack to my lessons, and a carryon bag on trips. But for those times when I do want to get away with just my case, I sewed a small, removable pouch to place inside the case, under the headstock. It fits perfectly and snugly, and allows me to go with just the case. You can see it here, with the hygrometer that is included with purchase.

blueinterior.JPG

The other potential downside on this case is connected to its upside -- the shiny, pretty fiberglass. Like a car, it is bound to get some scratches. Now I understand that normal wear and tear will result in scratches and nicks -- I have had the case about a week and it already has some of both. But since this case was bought primarily so that I could take it traveling, I didn't relish the idea of putting it in the overhead compartment unprotected -- for someone's wheel bag to dent or scratch it. So I decided to make a coverbag just for those times when it is in an overhead compartment. I got a towel of matching color, cut it down to size, sewed it shut vertically and horizontally, then added a leather cord for a drawstring. It isn't perfect, but it gives a bit of padding and protection. Yes, I realize it is crazy to get a case for a case, and that is OCD, and I have already been told once I need medication for that, but after waiting six months for a custom color, and spending nearly $300 bucks on it, I'm not going to just toss it up there to get damaged.

bluepouch.JPG

All in all, this case is extremely lightweight, easy to carry (by a very comfortable handle, or the included shoulder straps), and it is a very snug, protective fit for my ukulele. It is also a fashion statement, in a variety of beautiful colors (red, yellow, navy, silver, black or a custom option). It is not, however, for everyone. If you want lots of storage capacity, a low maintenance case, or you don't want to blow your budget on a case it might not be right for you. The MSRP on these is $258 (mine cost $279 after taxes and since it was custom) but you can get them for as low as $206 on Elderly Instruments. http://secure.elderly.com/accessories/items/KFGC4-RED.htm

For me, though, it is a great case and the only one I plan to use. I am going to get a red one for my Kanile'a, and if my Pineapple Sunday had fit one of them (tenor or concert), I would have bought a yellow one for it as well. Sam says they are like Corvettes - and they are, flashy, expensive, and not a lick of storage to speak of. But they are also beautiful, unique and well worth every penny I spent.

Next up, Ameritage...

Wow that color is beautiful! It definitely looks like it'll keep your Kamaka safe that's for sure! I am assuming that since its lightweight, it doesn't bother you much when you wear it backpack style and it bounces against your back a bit? How much did it cost for a custom color?

If the Kamoa is a Corvette, then the Ameritage Silver Series is a Hummer. This is the sturdiest, most protective, heartiest case out there. It has a ton of storage capacity, and it is extremely practical -- with a couple of caveats, it is very heavy, and it is not easy to carry.

ameritageclosed.JPG

The Ameritage comes only with the padded leather handle, and no strap option to speak of. Because I do a lot of traveling, I had to come up with a solution. So we drilled into the case and added d rings. The screws were then covered on the inside with rubber screw cap protectors, to ensure I would not damage the uke. I then was able to wear the case over my shoulder with a leather strap I purchased. But if you aren't willing to do a little DIY, then be prepared to carry over 9 pounds (the weight of the case with the ukulele inside) by hand.

Edit: just saw that Ameritage now sells a shoulder strap assembly for $31 - well their way is official, my way cost about $30 less but still, I probably would go with theirs on the thought that it would be sure to hold the 9 pound weight. http://www.ameritagecases.com/detai...Accessory_Items&pname=Shoulder_Strap_Assembly

Second edit: For $103 you can get a case cover for your Ameritage, whew, to each their own, but no way would I spring for that. The Ameritage is sturdy enough not to show a lot of wear and tear the way the Kamoa one does, and even then, over $100 seems too rich for my blood for a case for my case. http://www.ameritagecases.com/detai...ve_Case_Covers&pname=Tenor_Ukulele_Case_Cover

It is a large case, to be sure. The length is 31", the width at its widest point is 12", and its height is 5". This makes this case more than twice as heavy and almost five inches larger than the Kamoa case. It will go onto airlines in the overhead compartment, but to be honest, on each trip, unless I'm flying Hawaiian Airlines, I have been nervous about its measurements.

The Kamaka fits well within this case. There is about 1" of room at the top of the headstock, and the bottom of the case completely allows for an input jack or strap button. The case has three latches, all heavy duty easy to latch (easier than the Kamoa to ensure closure).

ameritageinside.JPG

The large storage compartment (5.5" long by 5.5" wide, by 3" deep) not only supports the neck of the ukulele, but also allows for a TON of stuff to fit inside. I have fit tuners, humidifiers, strings, winders, cords, straps, you name it in that compartment. This is one of the biggest pluses for this case to me, as it allows you to bring anything you might need all in that compartment.

ameritageopen.JPG

The lining is very soft and plush, and provides very good protection for the ukulele as it snuggles it inside your case. One thing to point out, when you go to close one of these cases, I recall being initially concerned as it looks as though it isn't going to close properly. Just gently push on the top of the lid and the padding will give, allowing your ukulele case to close without damaging the uke.

The exterior is a canvas like feel, over solid wood -- while it is protective, it certainly isn't flashy or sexy like the Kamoa case. It is, however, classy looking in the Silver Series with the charcoal canvas and silver latches and black handle. I'm less fond of the Gold Series tan exterior with the burgundy handle and gold latches, but that is just a matter of personal preference. It should be noted, you can order these custom as well -- in whatever colors you prefer, but it isn't cheap.

The Silver Series retails at an MSRP of $251, but you can get them a bit cheaper than that if you look around. So essentially, it costs the same as the Kamoa. I have both but for my purposes (taking it to class, flying with it), I much prefer the Kamoa for the same price. I know without a doubt, there will be many who feel the exact opposite.

If, however, I ever have to mail my uke anywhere this is the only case I would consider using for shipping. If you want extreme protection, and lots of storage, go for the Ameritage. It should be noted that the Jake Shimabukuro Kamaka special edition ukes come in Ameritage cases, and that Ko'olau has used them as well. Whether it is better or worse than the Kamoa just comes down to whether you would prefer your uke drive a Corvette or a Hummer.

Next up, Kamaka case and conclusions...

Last edited:
Last, and actually least, is the "Kamaka" hard case that often comes with Kamaka ukuleles. It is almost as light as the Kamoa and almost as functional as the Ameritage but not as good as either. The exterior is covered with a pleather like black substance that I found peels and scratches easily. So unless you want your case to be covered in stickers, it is going to look worse for the wear.

kamakaclosed.JPG

It has three latches, which function fine, but lack the style of the Kamoa ones or the heartiness of the Ameritage ones. The handle is plastic, and not nearly as comfortable to hold as the ones found on the other cases. It is the middle size of the three, with a length of 31", a width at the widest point of 11", and a height of 5". With the uke inside, it weights 4.5 pounds, and it also lacks a strap option. As I did on the Ameritage, I drilled the d rings with the strap attached so I could carry it on trips.

It does have a compartment, albeit a skinny one. The compartment is as long as the Ameritage one, at 5" long, but it is only 2" high and 2" across. You can fit a tuner and string winder in there, or a humidifier, but that is about it. When I used this case, I used a pouch similar to that I made for the Kamoa, so I could carry extra strings and accessories.

kamakacompartment.JPG

My Kamaka ukulele fit well within the case and its plush, faux fur lining (as I suppose it should since it is the "Kamaka" case). It did, however, have the most excess room at the headstock of the three options (2"), but the velcro strap across the fretboard was a nice way to secure the uke into its case. (Oops not in use in this photo).

kamakainside.JPG

These cases can be had for about $75 but to be honest, I would skip them. I have never owned a Kala case, but lots of people swear by those cases and they just seem to hold up better than these Kamaka ones do. I had one metal staple in this case that kept cutting into me, and the pleather was peeling in a lot of spots. I ended up getting rid of mine when I bought the Kamoa case. I told them to donate it to the next person who couldn't afford a case for their new ukulele -- someone ended up buying it from them for $30 used, which isn't a bad price but it isn't worth much more than that.

In conclusion, I think it is a toss up between the Ameritage and the Kamoa and it all depends on what you want. If you want a sturdy, hearty case with lots of storage, you can't go wrong with an Ameritage -- and if I ever had to ship my ukulele I would do so only in that case. If, on the other hand, you want a lightweight, good looking, fashionable case, I love the Kamoa. That is going to be my go-to case to use on a daily basis, and also when traveling. For me, it is the best option due to its light weight, comfortable handle and backpack option -- it is like carrying a gig bag but with a lot more protection and style. As I mentioned above, I hope to get a red one for my Kanilea (or whenever my Kamaka feels like wearing red).

I hope this helps people that might be in the market for a high end case -- unless you can get a Calton, I think you can't go wrong with the Kamoa or the Ameritage, it just depends on whether you like a sexy, flashy option (Kamoa) or whether you prefer sturdiness and protection (Ameritage) as to which is the case for you.

As of October 2014, I just got a new case and wanted to supplement my review by adding it to this thread.

So I had been using Kamoa fiberglass cases for my ukes for some time now -- they are super lightweight, waterproof and have handy backpack straps. But what they are not is protective. Every time I would put it in the overhead compartment of a plane, I would nervously watch that compartment to make sure nobody slung their bag up there to crack it.

Sure enough, the case did crack at one point from an incident like that. It is still totally usable, but may not be a waterproof as it once was. I still plan on using it around town (for kanikapila or lessons) and on cruises (where I am driving to the pier, not flying) as it is still super light and I love the turquoise color.

But I needed to get something more sturdy for my new Moore Bettah uke. So I splurged and ordered a custom made Calton case for it. I have now completed my first trip with this case and I'm very happy with its performance.

When you order a Calton, you go through a dealer (mine was Acoustic Music Works) -- you send them a tracing of the instrument, as well as measurements of everything from the width of the headstock to the length of the neck. All in all, there are fifteen separate things to measure. http://static.squarespace.com/stati...c6/1398777377823/Mandolin template - form.pdf

Since math is not my forte, I had my spouse double check all of my measurements and my tracing. Then we sent it off and about a month later my case arrived.

I chose the black exterior with silver interior -- but to jazz it up a bit, I added a custom decal in turquoise and green of my tattoo (a honu with the Hawaiian island chain inside of it).

caltoncaseexterior.jpg

The case is heavy (at least compared to the Kamoa fiberglass ones), but very sturdy. The padding is a super thick plush velvet. The measurements were perfect and it fits like a glove. It cradles the neck perfectly, and even takes into account leaving space for the input jack.

I also really like having the storage compartment -- something my Kamoa lacks. It is quite roomy, with plenty of space for five sets of extra strings (three different brands), a tuner, a hygrometer, a string winder/cutter, extra batteries, a strap and a humidifier.

caltoncasestoragestuff.jpg

I could not be happier with this case, and plan to use it on every flight I take from now on. I would never use it locally (as it is quite heavy in comparison to my Kamoa) but I now rest with ease knowing my beloved ukulele is well protected in the overhead compartment -- safe from errant wheelie bags.

caltoncaseinterior.jpg

I also got a Colorado Case Company cover for it -- in turquoise. That arrived yesterday. I tried taking a picture of it but it keeps photographing as baby blue, so I'm not bothering to upload it. It is a very snug fit, made of canvas style material which zips around the entire case. It supposedly provides some temperature regulation and also prevents scuffs. To be honest, I really don't know it is worth it to me, and may try to sell that on a mandolin case website in case (no pun intended) someone there would want it.

But I can't speak highly enough about the Calton. It is the best overall case I have ever owned -- custom made for the best ukulele I have ever owned. It was expensive, and probably not "worth it" but it does provide peace of mind for a one of a kind instrument that is irreplaceable.

Also, even though it is a heavier case, it does have backpack straps, which makes it easy to travel with, as I can't manage with the shoulder strap ones (the only reason the otherwise excellent Crossrock case was not for me).

Sorry for the crazy big photos! I need to resize them but have no idea how to do it on the Mac. It was easy on Windows (probably the only thing in my computer life easier for me on Windows). If I can figure it out I'll resize them and edit this.

Last edited:
The color looks to be a pretty darn good match of the sarong for sure. I should look into getting a Kamoa case, but I just have to get over the lack of storage space first.

As far as the shoulder strap for Ameritage cases, I'm wondering how well the assembly they are selling on their site actually works since the case weighs so much. If they have a way of making custom colors for these straps and they work well, I would lean towards Ameritage.

http://www.ameritagecases.com/detai...Accessory_Items&pname=Shoulder_Strap_Assembly

Thank you for your thorough review of the cases!

That teal is gorgeous. And nice to hear that you liked the red too - I've been clicking over to this page every other day or so, then talking myself out of ordering it for my pineapple. One of these days I'm sure I'll lose all restraint and click that "Buy" button...

The color looks to be a pretty darn good match of the sarong for sure. I should look into getting a Kamoa case, but I just have to get over the lack of storage space first.

As far as the shoulder strap for Ameritage cases, I'm wondering how well the assembly they are selling on their site actually works since the case weighs so much. If they have a way of making custom colors for these straps and they work well, I would lean towards Ameritage.

http://www.ameritagecases.com/detai...Accessory_Items&pname=Shoulder_Strap_Assembly

Thank you for your thorough review of the cases!

Ameritage also sells a whole case cover with straps. I think the JS model from Kamaka also came with the protective case.

http://www.ameritagecases.com/detai...ve_Case_Covers&pname=Tenor_Ukulele_Case_Cover

Thanks guys, I updated the Ameritage portion to add these links. I have to say, I think the $31 is a lot more money than what I did for the shoulder strap assembly (about $30 more), but at least it would probably be very sturdy. $100 for a case for a case is way too rich for my blood though, particularly since the Ameritage doesn't show much wear and tear the way the Kamoa does.

I do like the ones Kamaka did for the JS Signature though, since they said Kamaka on them. But otherwise I think I'd go without a case cover on the Ameritage -- just my opinion though. If you have the dough, why not?

Do you have any pics of what the case covers look like, Ronnie? I have a Ko`olau Ameritage that I wouldn't mind getting a cover for if it looks good.

Their website isn't showing the one for the tenor uke yet. http://www.ameritagecases.com/detai...ve_Case_Covers&pname=Tenor_Ukulele_Case_Cover

But this is what the guitar ones look like:
AME-10CB.jpg

And courtesy of an old post by UU member danged on his Jake uke (hope you don't mind me borrowing your image), the Kamaka ones look like this: (would love to get one of these!)
attachment.php

Thanks for the reviews! Enjoyed reading them.

The Kamoa is gorgeous and very sexy looking, although I've always thought teal was more greenish (or maybe it's just my monitor).

The Ameritage looks really sturdy, but seriously, over 9 lbs. with the uke? I just went and weighed one of my guitars in a hardshell. It was 14 lbs. for a full-sized classical in what I consider a very heavy case. 9 lbs. for a tenor uke seems ridiculously heavy.

For those of us on more of a budget, I gave a review here last night of the tenor Lanikai polyfoam case I bought off Amazon for $33. It's not in the same league as the ones you reviewed, but I'm quite happy with it and it's a big step up from your typical gig bag. With uke, it checks in at ~3 lbs. Cheap, lightweight, sturdy, what more could you ask for? :p

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?49085-Polyfoam-cases-Kala-vs.-Lanikai

BTW, both Mim and Chuck Moore said it's the same case as the Kala polyfoam, but I got a better deal on the Lanikai. It has no branding ID anywhere on it at all, so it might as well be generic. I actually like that since I'm not into rocking brand names. :)

One other point on the Ameritage cases is that it just not just thicker padding, they have a suspension system so the uke is suspended in the padding isolated from the exterior case. I am fairly confident that if you dropped the case the uke would have a very high survivability rate. A lot of other cases the uke is in close contact with the exterior case, if something hits the exterior hard more than likely the uke could sustain damage. I like light cases for when I take my uke or guitars somewhere locally to play but like the Ameritage for storage and traveling for the heavy-duty protection they provide. It may not be the lightest, but they still weigh a lot less than my camera bag or briefcase. I like the secure feeling the Ameritage case gives me with my more irreplaceable ukes.
On the other the Komoas do look cool, maybe a red onewould be nice, if someone can figure out which one a Pineapple Sunday would fit into

Aloha Wicked Wahine..
Nice score... was well worth the wait...just love the color...whew I better save now...thank you for you review too...Happy Strummings.. Now you can go around in style....MM Stan

One other point on the Ameritage cases is that it just not just thicker padding, they have a suspension system so the uke is suspended in the padding isolated from the exterior case. I am fairly confident that if you dropped the case the uke would have a very high survivability rate. A lot of other cases the uke is in close contact with the exterior case, if something hits the exterior hard more than likely the uke could sustain damage. I like light cases for when I take my uke or guitars somewhere locally to play but like the Ameritage for storage and traveling for the heavy-duty protection they provide. It may not be the lightest, but they still weigh a lot less than my camera bag or briefcase. I like the secure feeling the Ameritage case gives me with my more irreplaceable ukes.
On the other the Komoas do look cool, maybe a red onewould be nice, if someone can figure out which one a Pineapple Sunday would fit into

The suspension system is why it feels like you're smashing the uke when you close the case. Its being wedged into the suspension system.

Staci, I won't be walking by you at the airport without noticing you with that Kamoa case that's for sure!

Thanks for the great reviews! Love that custom teal...oh the fun I could have finding a purple...no must restrain myself!

Nice review, WW. That is great information. The teal color is vivid. I also liked your comments about the "color" in pictures. As a professional photographer, among other things, I have taken painstaking efforts to make sure that the color of my images are accurate. Everything is calibrated for accuracy. I use a digital SLR, a laptop balanced for color and luminosity, a Canon wide-carriage professional printer with professional archival paper and actually had to revert to Windows XP from Windows 7 on this laptop because Microsoft's crappy OS would not allow me to load all the proper color profiles to keep things right. The WINDOWS 7 profiles kept over-saturating everything. So... after fighting with it for a while, everything is back to color perfection.

Top Bottom