KPK vs Kala Acacia

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
lol as the title suggests what are the pros and cons of both? Ive read reviews on both, and they both look great.

heres my issue:
Ive been wanting a big island uke, I was offered a very attractive deal on a second deluxe (600$), yet im having a hard time putting that much down, basically because its alot of money for something I cant look at/play before I buy. Well see if I do it or not, but im just not entirely sold on it at the moment.

if I decide NOT to get it, I was thinking about one of these two. Im not crazy about the binding on the Kala, but im also not crazy about the headstock on the KPK.

:sigh: is there no end to the madness?

I would go for the Kala just because I've heard several cases of the KPK cracking, probably from low humidity. Of course, the Kala is so new it's not possible to form a track record yet.

Based on looks, I'd go with the Kala hands down. I imagine they'll sound about the same or at least in the same league, so to me the Kala would be the easy decision.

For $600, are you talking about the deluxe XXX model tenor? If that's the case, it's a no brainer and you should jump on that ASAP.

For $600, are you talking about the deluxe XXX model tenor? If that's the case, it's a no brainer and you should jump on that ASAP.

yes, it is. its a second with not as much curly in the koa. I cant tell you from whom though in the event I do get it. I can tell you its from a member though.

My buddy got a KPK recently. I'm not sure how crazy I am about it. The body is shallow (almost like a travel uke) and while the tone is nice and crisp, it's not very loud. Also, the neck is very beefy. I had a Kala acacia pre-ordered because I thought it was just stunning but I cancelled it to get my Kanile'a :).

i think either way will be fine. i own a KPK and even with a crack in the soundboard, its my loudest ukulele (also own(ed) a lanikai spruce top, makala, pono solid mahogany, leolani zebrawood, kala koa laminate)

but for pure aesthetics alone, i would seriously be considering that new kala though.

Top Bottom