Koaloha Sceptre top sunk

Markr1

Reaction score
I have a problem. I just sold a Sceptre here in the marketplace to a UU member that I had bought from another UU member about 8 months ago and I've taken very good care of it and kept it in its case with oasis humidifier during the winter. I just got pics back from the buyer and the top is apparently sunk in some and the bridge is tilted forward on it. I never noticed this before but I never looked for it either or payed any attention to it. I'm wondering if it was that way when I bought it. I have no idea.
I'm going to refund the money to the buyer and get the uke back. We were both upset over this because I didn't know about it and he didn't expect it and it's obvious from the pics.
My question is what do I do about this now after I get it back? I've heard Koaloha in past threads take care of their ukes if there is no abuse involved and the owner just pays shipping and they will repair it. Is this true?
If not then I guess I place it on eBay with full disclosure and a low starting bid and see what it goes for. I'm really upset about this because I paid a substantial amount for the uke and will more then likely take a big loss on it.
I'm so upset now over it I don't even want to play the ukes I have. I almost feel like selling all my ukes and just go back to guitar playing.

I'm feeling very put out and sad with ukulele right now.Here are the pics I was sent.

Help me please!!
photo1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow another dished top..there was just a tread about this same subject in the last couple weeks on this site but it was another ukulele company..they say koaloha has really good customer service..keep us informed as i also have a koaloha uke..good luck

I had a very similar thing happen. I sold my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday here on UU back in April, and when he received it, the buyer said that the top was canted about 12 degrees. I was dumbfounded as I had no idea anything was wrong with it, but I refunded his money and I paid him to ship it to KoAloha instead of back to me. I tell you this much, I went over my Kanilea with a fine tooth comb before selling it after that mishap and ensured it was perfect minus the scratches I took pains to note in the listing. Even though I have sold a number of ukes here, on FMM and eBay I had never had one have a problem like that, and certainly no problem that I was unaware of. Interesting that it is another KoAloha, that is a weird coincidence.

KoAloha received it in April but never got back to me for about two months (turned out they lost the package somewhere in the factory), but I finally heard back from them about seven weeks ago and they are replacing it with another Pineapple Sunday for me. Unfortunately, they don't have any right now, but Papa said he would build me one and I would hopefully receive it in September or so.

I would encourage you to send it to them, they will most likely repair or replace it for you. I know it sucks for you in your position. I have sold many ukes that were perfect and I was shocked when I heard there was something wrong with this one. But if they replace it for you, you can always sell the replacement one. I am not sure what I plan to do when I get the replacement. I will most likely sell it since I really only play tenors, but part of me feels guilty doing so since they are building this PS for me.

I would not do the eBay shortsale right now unless you are desparate for the money. If they have a Sceptre in stock, you may not have to wait. And if they don't, if you can afford to wait, you will have a brand new perfect one you can sell for more money. Good luck to you with whatever you do but don't let it kill your enthusiasm for the uke.

When I lost the money I was in a bit of a tailspin as I had just bought my Kamoa dependent on having that PS money to pay the bill. It hurt for a bit, but I got my head back above water and now when my PS arrives, I either have a brand new uke built just for me, or I can sell it and get my bank account back up again. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Some of the best sounding vintage ukes I own and have played are slightly dished like this one. That said, I can understand it being a disturbing matter when you are trying to sell (or buy) an instrument. Although it's been humid in most places around here, the ukulele may have dried out a bit, particularly if it was around air conditioning. You might try taking the strings off and humidifying it. An ukulele a started building last summer, but didn't finish until late winter, began to dish (it was quite humid when I glued the body up, and then obviously got quite dry in the shop). I humidified it, the top came up and it has stayed that way ever since. Of course, I keep it around 50% RH. On the other hand, if Koaloha will replace the ukulele at no cost to you, other than the shipping, that would be the way to go, I suppose.

It's a bummer, Mark, but it may turn out fine in the long run.

Yes, Mark. Call KoAloha, and ask to speak to Brian. He WILL take care of you.

Just checked my Sceptre - Got it in July 2011, Brian told me it was built May 2011 (Because he knew which Sceptre was sent to Ukulele Source, and when - there is no date or serial number in this instrument.)

The top is flat, no dishing, no pull on the bridge. Hygrometer reading has fluctuated from 45 - 60% since I've gotten the instrument, and I keep it in the O'ahu case when I'm not playing.

Even so, I appreciate the information from you, and I will keep an eye on mine.

-Kurt​

I'll do it Kurt. Thank you.
Yes, Mark. Call KoAloha, and ask to speak to Brian. He WILL take care of you.

Just checked my Sceptre - Got it in July 2011, Brian told me it was built May 2011 (Because he knew which Sceptre was sent to Ukulele Source, and when - there is no date or serial number in this instrument.)

The top is flat, no dishing, no pull on the bridge. Hygrometer reading has fluctuated from 45 - 60% since I've gotten the instrument, and I keep it in the O'ahu case when I'm not playing.

Even so, I appreciate the information from you, and I will keep an eye on mine.

-Kurt​

I recently examined two concert Koaloha ukes for a friend who was trying to decide which one to buy. Being a luthier by trade, I looked inside both of these ukes because I am always curious about the bracing systems. Aside from the top and bottom transverse braces , there where no fan struts on either uke, only a bridge patch. Both of these ukes are new and there was no signs of dipping or bulging tops. They both sounded excellent. Both ukes had a figure top of Koa. One uke was a bigger in body size and had a tenor scale. I would be very nervous about this uke in the future because of the lack of bracing and the tenor scale. Actually, I would be very nervous about any uke, other than a soprano, that had no bracing other than a bridge patch. I don't know how a Sceptre is braced, perhaps you could look inside and and inform us?

I'll try and find a mirror that can get in there when I get it back.
I recently examined two concert Koaloha ukes for a friend who was trying to decide which one to buy. Being a luthier by trade, I looked inside both of these ukes because I am always curious about the bracing systems. Aside from the top and bottom transverse braces , there where no fan struts on either uke, only a bridge patch. Both of these ukes are new and there was no signs of dipping or bulging tops. They both sounded excellent. Both ukes had a figure top of Koa. One uke was a bigger in body size and had a tenor scale. I would be very nervous about this uke in the future because of the lack of bracing and the tenor scale. Actually, I would be very nervous about any uke, other than a soprano, that had no bracing other than a bridge patch. I don't know how a Sceptre is braced, perhaps you could look inside and and inform us?

That almost looks like the bridge is pulling up/off as well. perhaps the unibrace has shifted. Either way, since its one of Poppa KoAloha's special creations, I'd think that KoAloha will want to look at it & you should not end up taking too much of a loss on it.

I don't think the bridge is raising or coming loose because it always looked very intact but I just never looked at it from the side like the picture. I'm still up in the air about if to call Koaloha or just drop a low opening bid on it on ebay and see what happens because regardless of if they fix it or not I'm still going to want to get rid of it.between what I've lost in shipping already and then another shipping to Hawaii another hit there I'm going to be out quite a bit in shipping alone. I think I just give up and chalk it up to a expensive lesson learned. I'm done buying ukes and will probably start selling some more off after this bad experience. I think I should have stayed with the guitar tho it's a shame I put so much time learning the uke and mostly the expense of the nice ones I bought in this short time of learning. The sad thing is that I loved the uke more then the guitar and had such a fun experience with it up to this point. It just really hit me hard such a nice uke and I cared well for it and this happened. Not to also say it made me look really bad selling a bad uke to someone that I told it was perfect. I felt like a heel. I'm making it right but it still happened. Anybody want a Pineapple Sunday I love it but don't feel so in love with it anymore now after this experience. What's really sad is I sold a really nice Gibson Dove and ES-335 to fund more what I thought were nice ukes and I loved those guitars and miss them and regret selling them now. Hmm oh well. Such is life.
That almost looks like the bridge is pulling up/off as well. perhaps the unibrace has shifted. Either way, since its one of Poppa KoAloha's special creations, I'd think that KoAloha will want to look at it & you should not end up taking too much of a loss on it.

Mark - Don't lowball it on eBay! Really - call KoAloha on Monday and talk to Brian.

Let him know what your experience has been, and let him know about the losses in shipping. Take a couple of days, discuss it with him with a clear head, THEN let us know what is happening, and we'll see where it goes.

-Kurt​

I don't think the bridge is raising or coming loose because it always looked very intact but I just never looked at it from the side like the picture. I'm still up in the air about if to call Koaloha or just drop a low opening bid on it on ebay and see what happens because regardless of if they fix it or not I'm still going to want to get rid of it.between what I've lost in shipping already and then another shipping to Hawaii another hit there I'm going to be out quite a bit in shipping alone. I think I just give up and chalk it up to a expensive lesson learned. I'm done buying ukes and will probably start selling some more off after this bad experience. I think I should have stayed with the guitar tho it's a shame I put so much time learning the uke and mostly the expense of the nice ones I bought in this short time of learning. The sad thing is that I loved the uke more then the guitar and had such a fun experience with it up to this point. It just really hit me hard such a nice uke and I cared well for it and this happened. Not to also say it made me look really bad selling a bad uke to someone that I told it was perfect. I felt like a heel. I'm making it right but it still happened. Anybody want a Pineapple Sunday I love it but don't feel so in love with it anymore now after this experience. What's really sad is I sold a really nice Gibson Dove and ES-335 to fund more what I thought were nice ukes and I loved those guitars and miss them and regret selling them now. Hmm oh well. Such is life.

Yo, bro... let the light of a new day give a bit of perspective... Don't head back to the "dark side". :)

Really, get it back, send the photos to KoAloha in the meantime, don't start selling off the herd yet. (if this sounds like I'm trying to talk you off a ledge... yep - that's what it is.)

I don't want to be the one buying your Sceptre off of you for an unexpectedly low price - if I didn't "know you" maybe I would, but honestly - even w/a sunk top, I bet it still sounds like a dream.

Aloha Mark,
Don't take it too hard bruddah...I am sure Koaloha will make it right....all you know it could have been the air pressure from shipping...did you have insurance on it.....
I took so many hits in ukes and guitars because I have bought lots of them.....You never know... I bet in a few days after you get things squared with Koaloha you
will get your intrest back....Now go and play your ukes and enjoy them and get your mind off the Sceptre for a while...happy strummings....YF, Stan

I sold the uke to Mark and I purchased it from someone else who purchased it from MGM before he joined HMS. I'm sure if there were any issues with the uke, I would have given full disclosure. I never noticed it but that doesn't mean it wasn't there and the guy I bought it from was very honest to me as well.

My recommendation is to call Koaloha as they have great customer service and they will reimburse $40 of your shipping cost if its a manufacturer defect. I will pay the difference as I don't want you to feel that I sold you a bad uke. Secondly, don't let one bad experience make you give up ukes completely! You bought ukes for your family because you love the uke. Anyways, PM me if you take my offer. Daniel

I sold the uke to Mark and I purchased it from someone else who purchased it from MGM before he joined HMS. I'm sure if there were any issues with the uke, I would have given full disclosure. I never noticed it but that doesn't mean it wasn't there and the guy I bought it from was very honest to me as well.

My recommendation is to call Koaloha as they have great customer service and they will reimburse $40 of your shipping cost if its a manufacturer defect. I will pay the difference as I don't want you to feel that I sold you a bad uke. Secondly, don't let one bad experience make you give up ukes completely! You bought ukes for your family because you love the uke. Anyways, PM me if you take my offer. Daniel

This, my friends, is why UU is among the greatest communities on the 'net! Well played, Daniel!

This, my friends, is why UU is among the greatest communities on the 'net! Well played, Daniel!

Amen Mattydee. Daniel, you're a class act, like so many others here. Mark, There's good advice here from good folks.

...I purchased it from someone else who purchased it from MGM before he joined HMS. ...

I actually remember seeing the Sceptre on MGM's ebay, and drooling about it.
If it's the same one... so that's where it ended up LOL Interesting to know

I'm the guy who bought the Sceptre from Mark and I too implore you Mark not to give up playing the uke because of this! I've already apologized for initially going off on you and I believe you didn't realize the top was caving in when you sold it to me. You've already said you'd take it back and refund my money so there's no hard feelings just some inconvenience for both of us.
The first thing I look at on any stringed instrument is the bridge area because this is where all the string tension is. Thin tops and light bracing sometimes can't take the load and the result is that the top starts to cave in between the bridge and the sound hole. As time goes on it only gets worse. The fault lies with the builder and from what everyone is saying Koaloha will make good on it.
I'll get my mirror out later and look inside to see what type of bracing the Sceptre has and pass that info on to everyone.
Again Mark, keep on playing your ukes! You're a stand up guy and could have just told me to go scratch but you didn't and this will all work out for both of us! s** happens!

Thank you everyone for the support and thanks to you Daniel for the offer and I agree with AKuker you are a class act. I will of course pass on your offer as I'm sure you didn't know about it as I didn't. Gmoney it really does play and sounds great as a matter of fact I did a video of strumming it higher up on the frets so the buyer could see how it sounded which is on my you tube. Thanks to you Stan you've been a good friend and I did have the Sceptre insured with UPS when I shipped it.
I do feel better after sleeping on it. I can't give up playing the ukulele it's been to much fun and does bring happiness to me and I have so much to learn and a great group of people here helping me.
I still haven't changed my mind tho about putting the Sceptre on eBay and just let it do it's thing just to get it out of my sight so I can forget about this whole thing. I've also offered my Pineapple Sunday to a UU member that is requesting one in the marketplace because tho I have always loved it every time I look at it I'm reminded of the Sceptre. I'm thru with Koaloha. Those are the only ones I have made by them. Since all this happened I'm also going to be selling my Fluke that i just bought from Flea Market Music and my Favilla soprano real soon.
I will be keeping my Kamaka HF-3 and Kamaka lili'u and my Tom Guy tenor and cigarbox. I'm also going to keep the ukes I bought from Dana the Collings UT-1 and the Kanilea super concert as they have been really nice ukes. I'm going to keep also my Favilla baritone as its the only Baritone I have. I had a really nice Pono Baritone but I gave it to my daughter. I'll be listing the ones I mentioned soon in the marketplace including the Pineapple Sunday if the guy in the marketplace doesn't want it. I don't think any of the ones I'll be selling have any defects and it's still off to eBay with the Sceptre with full disclosure after I get it back.

Thanks everyone for listening to me rant.

Top Bottom