"Brittle" Sounding A Strings

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
Do any of you all have a(n) ukulele with an A string that sounds "brittle"? I have a Kala all solid wood mahogany tenor that has sweet sounding G, C, and E strings but the A string just doesn't have that sweet tone to it. I am running a Fremont blackline low G string setup on that instrument. I've also had several other instruments where the A string just didn't have that mellowness to it that the other strings have.

I know that the farther you strum or pick towards the headstock, the more mellow tones you will get and conversely, nearer the bridge will give more treble. Unfortunately, the A string can't be made to sound good even by strumming position.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to bring some mellowness out of those pesky A strings?

Last edited:
I'd try Worth Brown Fats. The wider gauge may soften the tone.

I've had a couple ukes where the A-string lacked the tone quality and resonance of the other strings. A higher tension string can sometimes help (Savarez Alliance 541 R, is one ). But on some ukes nothing works.

You need a thicker softer compound strings if you are comfortable with them...Ko'olau alohi is probally the ones to try...

Top Bottom