Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

Harry122

Solid Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score
We've patiently (and impatiently) waited on the beginning of the last couple of Seasons. I thought I'd make it up a bit by introducing Season 314 a little early. Don't forget that Season 313's Seven Year Celebration, hosted by my favorite superhero, continues all day Sunday.

In just two weeks, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will be hosting the 90th annual Academy Awards. A big part of these awards, as well as a big part of movies themselves, are the many wonderful songs that have been celebrated by the Academy.

In its 90 years, there have been over 450 songs nominated for an Academy Award in the category Best Original Song. These songs, in almost every genre, have become part of our cultural consciousness.
For Season 314, I'd like you to choose from these nominated songs and perform them as only Seasonistas can.

You may also write an original song for this Season, but it must have the name "Oscar" in the lyrics and in the title.

There's a link to all the nominated songs below. Have fun!

The Rules:
* Your song must be newly-recorded for Season 314.
* Don't post any videos that are not entries - put those things on the Island.
* The video must say it's for Season 314, either written or verbalized.
* No Song Limit!
* Multitracking is fine, but the ukulele must be prominent.
* The Season runs eight days, starting at midnight Hawaii time, Sunday, and ends eight days later at midnight, the end of the day, Sunday.
* Please comment on others' work - it's always well appreciated!

Finally - There will be small Prizes this time

Academy Award Best Original Song Nominees

Playlist

Last edited:
Last edited:
What a fantastic theme Randy. Even a cursory look down that list shows what fantastic songs there are to choose from.

By "best original song" I assume you mean a song that we have written ourselves and not someone else's song. Is that correct?

No it's a link to a Wikipedia list of all the songs nominated for a Best Original Song Oscar.

By "best original song" I assume you mean a song that we have written ourselves and not someone else's song. Is that correct?
The song can be any of the nominees in the Best Original Song category from the Oscars, as per the link in the intro post, or an original song that has “Oscar” in the title and also in the lyrics. That’s how I read it anyway :)

One Man And His Uke is correct. The songs you enter are songs that have been nominated for "Best Original Song" at the Oscar awards. There's a link at the bottom of the first post.

The song you choose does not have to be that year's winner, all nominated "Best Original Songs" are eligible.

There is also a "songwriting" option for those Seasonistas who prefer to write their own songs. The songs you write for this Season must have the name "Oscar" in the title and in the lyrics.

Hope this helps.

Unbelievable...just a few days after I used up "Raindrops Keep Fallin'..."
But the good news is, my list of possibles for the year has not one, not two, not three, but FOUR other nominees on it.;)

Wow, when it hits the '90s, they're practically all Disney songs.

Also, it's amazing how many of these songs I've already done for the seasons. There are also a couple of notable ones that I never quite got right, so I didn't perform them when I meant to. I might see if I can revisit them.

Last edited:
Songs are the back bacon of the movies!

giphy.gif

Wow, when it hits the '90s, they're practically all Disney songs.

Also, it's amazing how many of these songs I've already done for the seasons. There are also a couple of notable ones that I never quite got right, so I didn't perform them when I meant to. I might see if I can revisit them.

And most of the time (as Paul's article alludes to) not even the best song in the given film!

oooooooooooooooooooooh i have ginger rogers singing the continental in the film clip as we speak! not than i can play and sing those great old songs, but i LOVE to listen to them!

GREAT theme!!!

oooooooooooooooooooooh i have ginger rogers singing the continental in the film clip as we speak! not than i can play and sing those great old songs, but i LOVE to listen to them!

GREAT theme!!!

I thought I might have to race you to do one of the 1982 nominees. FWIW, I've found the 2003 Am chord works better than the standard one for the transition to G and back in the intro ;)

Randy this is going to be a great season! Fantastic list of so many great song :)

Yup. Very bummed that "You're Welcome" wasn't the song nominated from "Moana".

I'll be honest I didn't really enjoy the soundtrack to Moana.

Massive example is Hercules though. "Go the Distance" is just awful. They could have picked literally any other song from that film but "I Wont Say Im In Love" is a genuinely great song, Disney film or not.

Well. Some interesting and unexpected numbers on the nominee list. :3 a few I'm happy to scoop up and make an attempt at, and a few oddball entries that I never expected to see on the list but am still happy to try. Might have to give one of the Lion King songs a try, simply due to it being a personal favorite film of mine (if not my all time.)

Top Bottom