NUD: It's Moore Bettah than I even dreamed

Staci, I enjoyed reading about your family connection to Kauai. So wonderful you have a special instrument with a beautiful union to people and a place dear to you. The beautiful imagery created on your Uke is so vivid and kinetic. That all adds to natural beauty of your new instrument. Congrats and enjoy!

Last edited:
What a beautiful instrument, Staci, and a wonderful story.

The whole thing about connections is pretty great too- I think about you whenever I open that Ameritage case my Donaldson uke is in - it seems a little silly, bondiing over a case. but by sending the case to Bradford before he built the uke, it ensured that the uke would fit the case perfectly, which it does - and I have you to thank for that. And I thank both you and Bradford very, very often. (g)

So since that connection is established, and since I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one of Chuck's masterpieces, I simply have to ask you to play Hui Nani often, and I will benefit from the vibes.

I've never been to Kauai, but my first experience with water on the Big Island was standing up to my ankles on a rocky beach in Kona, waiting for my wife, and suddenly feeling something hitting me in the legs. I looked down, and there was a Honu, about 12 inches long, grazing on the algae, and the waves were just bumping him into me. When we were out in the water swimming, several came over, as if to get a look at the pasty white New Yorker swimming in their water.

So, ukes, cases, honu... We are all connected, after all.

Best of luck with her - I can't wait to hear what she sounds like.

-Kurt​

What an amazing story! I love to see custom ukes as you can really see the spirit and personality of the luthier come through. Beautiful work of art!

Wow that is one beautiful uke, probably my favorite Bettah uke I have ever seen! Thank you for sharing your story. Kauai has a special place in my heart with it being the place where my wife and I honeymooned. We went on a zodiac tour of the Na Pali coast and happened to see a rare event of two sea turtles mating. Your uke brought back all those beautiful. Thanks very much.

Magic....... Indeed
Congratulations and Mahalo for sharing.

As if the story of the uke itself was not enough, your background to it makes for a wonderful read. Thanks for this, and congrats. My MB connects to me in the same ways.

This is exquisite. So happy for you.

This is one of my favourite MB...congradz Staci...happy for ya....
Thanks for the amazing Story and video :)

That is absolutely my most favorite MB ever. Just gorgeous. I could look and look and look at it. *Drool*

I share your love of honu and Kauai. Your uke is gorgeous. It may be the most beautiful Moore Bettah I've seen posted here, and that's saying something. Congrats!

One of my favorite MB's. So beautiful and wonderful story. Staci, the MB body looks smaller than the others in your photo. Is it actually smaller?

One of my favorite MB's. So beautiful and wonderful story. Staci, the MB body looks smaller than the others in your photo. Is it actually smaller?

It is actually smaller than the other three. The Kanilea is the widest at the bottom bout, then the Kamaka, then the KoAloha, then the Moore Bettah. Length wise, the Kamaka and Kanilea are the longest from top to bottom bout, with the KoAloha and Moore Bettah about a half an inch shorter.

When I try each of them in my Kamoa case, the Kanilea and KoAloha are a tighter fit, pushing on the padding. The KoAloha is a perfect fit, and the Moore Bettah is a little loose. Not so loose it requires a cushion (as it does in the Crossrock case) because I have the pickup installed so that end jack pin pushes it out some -- though I am making a cushion for it this weekend, better safe than sorry. But if you did not have a pickup, it would definitely need a cushion to prevent it from wiggling around too much. And in the Crossrock, you have to use the cushion, since that case is larger than the Kamoa.

It is actually smaller than the other three. The Kanilea is the widest at the bottom bout, then the Kamaka, then the KoAloha, then the Moore Bettah. Length wise, the Kamaka and Kanilea are the longest from top to bottom bout, with the KoAloha and Moore Bettah about a half an inch shorter.

When I try each of them in my Kamoa case, the Kanilea and KoAloha are a tighter fit, pushing on the padding. The KoAloha is a perfect fit, and the Moore Bettah is a little loose. Not so loose it requires a cushion (as it does in the Crossrock case) because I have the pickup installed so that end jack pin pushes it out some -- though I am making a cushion for it this weekend, better safe than sorry. But if you did not have a pickup, it would definitely need a cushion to prevent it from wiggling around too much. And in the Crossrock, you have to use the cushion, since that case is larger than the Kamoa.

Staci, I know that you are not a fan of the weight of the Ameritage cases, but your MB will fit in one like a glove. A Cadillac case fore your Bentley of a uke.

Staci, I know that you are not a fan of the weight of the Ameritage cases, but your MB will fit in one like a glove. A Cadillac case fore your Bentley of a uke.

Mmm, the thought did cross my mind. I remember seeing a photo of one in an Ameritage (the tiki one I think?) and it fit great. I am just way too lazy to lug it in a case that heavy. I used an Ameritage for traveling and once I got the Kamoa I never used it again. The Crossrock even feels cumbersome to me in comparison to the Kamoa - due to the lack of backpack straps. So I made the cushion this morning (sewed some foam into fleece) and it fits great now.

But I know you are right though. If I kept it in a case at home that is absolutely the one I would use. And I might still consider one down the road for local stuff (classes or kanikapila). But I travel about every six weeks and love the fiberglass for that.

Top Bottom