NUD: My Petroglyph Moore Bettah uke exceeds all expectations

GinnyT11

Reaction score
I have tears in my eyes as I write about how deeply, deeply grateful and happy I am to have received my Petroglyph Moore Bettah soprano today. I have an emotional disconnect between the player I am and the astonishing quality and artistry of this uke, and I can’t quite reconcile it. Maybe wine will help.

Not long ago, my husband Craig received a Moore Bettah tenor (the “Ki” uke with a Japanese-character inlay), which is about the only uke he plays now. After he got it, because we’d been communicating for some time, I casually asked Chuck if he’d make me a soprano (which I thought was like saying "Hey, would you hand me down that star?").
He asked what I had in mind. I requested Hawaiian petroglyphs (especially paddle man) because they fascinated me when we visited Hawaii, and a koa-milo combo, to represent Hawaii’s mountains and the sea. He thought about it for 20 minutes while doing something else and then said, “I’ve got a plan for it.” After I chose the wood (less-fancy koa, please, and the colorful milo), I left the design in Chuck’s hands. It’s the first time he has made a koa-milo uke and I’ll tell you, it sounds fantastic.

I’m thrilled at the inlays and how they tell a story of early Hawaiians hunting. I love the koa for the fret markers and the inlays. The curl in the wood give them some life. This uke is exactly what I wanted, a result of Chuck’s extra-sensory approach to building ukes.

Receiving this uke feels like a cosmic reward that I don’t deserve. Yes, I’ve saved up for it over time, and yes, I’ve practiced to play better, but why did I get the delight of working with Chuck and this uke imbued with his creative energy? I don’t know. But I intend to let this uke be sort of a spirit guide for me, to prompt and lead me into greater playing competence.

Yay Ginny! Congratulations, it is gorgeous. Koa makes for a beautiful inlay material and the petroglyphs are so cool. Our ukes are siblings, I saw that beautiful soprano and wondered who the lucky owner would be. I am so happy for you, enjoy it, you deserve it! :)

Oh Ginny, that is fantastic! I saw that wonderful soprano and I wondered who would be the lucky recipient! so glad it was you! You have an incredibly beautiful uke! And what fun for you and Craig to be able to play your two Moore Bettahs together!

WOW, just WOW, just really WOW. That is so beautiful and it sounds like it has found a home with it's rightful owner.

Congratulations,my Moore Bettah sista......:)
nice MBU.. your wood combo so nice...good choice

You deserve it!! Even the strap buttons are made by him. I saw your uke in July and now happy to see the final product.

That's one wonderful ukulele! I love petroglyphs and those are stunning!

When I was in Hawaii in July, I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck and his very talented wife, and on a separate occasion, the pleasure of playing someone's soprano Moore Bettah (not yours). There's something magical about MBs; I was lucky enough to by a pre-owned non custom one this spring, and I can't play it enough and people are constantly telling me how much they love its voice. I have a friend who wants a MB and plays exclusively sopranos, and she was extremely envious of the soprano MB when Chuckl posted its photo on FB. I'm glad this one has gone to such a loving home. Congratulations again!

Congrats Ginny,
I was wondering whose beautiful soprano that was....happy strummings you really deserve one....:)

You deserve it!! Even the strap buttons are made by him. I saw your uke in July and now happy to see the final product.

Dan, I asked for the strap buttons because I thought I might need them and I wanted him to make and install them. AND, more wonderfulness: I asked Chuck if there were interesting uke straps with Hawaiian designs, and Chuck included one the the package. It's lovely!

Dan, I asked for the strap buttons because I thought I might need them and I wanted him to make and install them. AND, more wonderfulness: I asked Chuck if there were interesting uke straps with Hawaiian designs, and Chuck included one the the package. It's lovely!

Ooh, I would love to see a photo of your strap if you don't mind. I bet it looks cool with that uke. :)

It couldn't be any more perfect! and of course you "deserve" it, drop the deserving bit out of the equation and just celebrate!

Congratulations Ginny. What a wonderful uke!

Wow. Two MB NUD in the forum on the same day! Happy, happy, happy!

Holy cow Ginny, just WOW....it is sooooo purty! And the strap is a lot like the one I got for my Ohana....very nice. Uke on kiddo, and congrats!
You've just encouraged me to save up my pennies!

Top Bottom