Another strap thread: Is a strap button on the neck heel necessary?

Sukie wrote :
I found the strap tied to the headstock got in my way. Because of my headstock inlay, I could only tie it near the fretboard though.
I can see the quandary between being able to show the classy inlay and tying off the strap in the optimum position ... not a problem I've afforded, yet ;)

Sukie wrote : I can see the quandary between being able to show the classy inlay and tying off the strap in the optimum position ... not a problem I've afforded, yet ;)

Some day you might, though. :-D

I would say even without my "problem", the strap button is probably a safer, more secure way to go.and I do not ever feel that my ukulele is gonna flip on me. And I don't have to worry ever about the string-end of the strap wearing out. I have soooo many other things to worry about when I play. I try really hard to get all possible obstacles taken care of. I'm about at the point if I suck at playing I can only blame my fingers for not cooperating and nerves. Everything else has been taken care of.

... the strap button is probably a safer, more secure way to go.and I do not ever feel that my ukulele is gonna flip on me.
Whatever you're happy with is the right way to go. Different people have different physical make-ups as well as different styles of playing and holding the instrument. I've no end of admiration for those who can wedge a ukulele against their body with their forearm and still get enough hand movement to give a presentable performance. Without a strap, I'm hanging on so tight I struggle to change chords!

Different strokes for different folks :)

Whatever you're happy with is the right way to go. Different people have different physical make-ups as well as different styles of playing and holding the instrument. I've no end of admiration for those who can wedge a ukulele against their body with their forearm and still get enough hand movement to give a presentable performance. Without a strap, I'm hanging on so tight I struggle to change chords!

Different strokes for different folks :)

I was at a beginning group session with Daniel Ho and the first thing he told everyone was to get a strap to make it easier.

I took my Big Island Concert ukulele to a local guitar repair shop to have strap buttons installed, and the tech who did the work advised against installing a strap button on the heel of the neck, claiming it "didn't line up" and would make the uke feel unbalanced. He installed an end pin on the bottom, but recommended I use a strap tied to the headstock. I didn't push the issue, because it was a guitar shop after all, and if the guy wasn't comfortable putting a strap button on the heel, I wasn't going to force him to. Guess I'll look around and find someone who works on ukuleles more than guitars...

i had an Ibanez guitar with a Martin headstock strap on it for years, never any signs of warpage and the little Martin strap was nice looking. i prefer a strap button and have installed a few and they are easy to install with careful planning ie. location of the button and patient drilling. i'm too picky to let some 'shop tech' drill my uke.

A heel button is nice cause it frees up hand space that can be taken up by a neck strap if not positioned correctly. Personally I don't use straps on my concert/tenor or baris. This reminds me of last year at Christmas when I was playing my 12 string guitar at the local lights festival and the strap popped off the bottom button. Didn't miss a beat, just held it like a huge bari. All those years of uking saved my 12 string.

My second attempt at a strap was successful. The first one was a Levy meant for a ukulele, but it was too short for me.

I ended up with a Franklin guitar strap that is 2" black cotton with leather ends. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/franklin-strap-2-black-cotton-guitar-strap-with-leather-ends

The heel end is tapered and works well. There is enough flexibility to install and remove easily.

Now I am really glad that I ordered my Opio with a strap button at the heel of the neck as well as on the lower bout. I played outside most of the afternoon - trying it out while sitting in different chairs and playing standing up, which I have never been able to do.

Attachments

• strap 1.jpg
    strap 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 43
  • strap 2.jpg
    strap 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 37
  • strap 3.jpg
    strap 3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I use the Uke Leash on all my ukuleles, soprano, concert, tenor and banjo. No drilling needed, excellent left hand and neck stability. You tuck the body of the uke under your right arm as usual, but the neck is supported from the headstock. I use straps on all my guitars so when I started on uke, I didn't want to be supporting the neck with my left hand while holding or changing chords. I have a headstock attachment for each of my ukes and the banjo uke needs another adapter, but I love these things. Lori, you out there?

I use the Uke Leash on all my ukuleles, soprano, concert, tenor and banjo. No drilling needed, excellent left hand and neck stability. You tuck the body of the uke under your right arm as usual, but the neck is supported from the headstock. I use straps on all my guitars so when I started on uke, I didn't want to be supporting the neck with my left hand while holding or changing chords. I have a headstock attachment for each of my ukes and the banjo uke needs another adapter, but I love these things. Lori, you out there?
Yes, I am here. Checking in occasionally while filling Uke Leash orders. I have Uke Leash Guitar Style straps as well, both one and two button versions. Boy, it is very hot in Los Angeles today. Could use some AC... good thing there is a little breeze right now, or I would be napping.
–Lori

Love my Softee mandolin strap. Ties onto the headstock

Top Bottom