pono MTD and MGTD (mango wood) problem

stevetong

Reaction score
Hi guys. My friend wants to get a new tenor and. He wants to get either the. Mcd or the mango wood one. Does anyone owns. A mango. Wood. Pono ? Please give us some advice or a short comment especially for the mango one, coz we ve never had a chance to try it at the. Moment. THank you so much.

Btw, does the mango wood has. Less sustain than the mahogany?

According to Mya Moe's site, mango's sound is on the warm side of the "warm to bright" scale, but closer to the middle than koa. This is a range I personally find quite pleasing. I had a Mya Moe with mango top, back, and sides. It was a wonderful instrument. I bought it on Gordon Mayer's strong recommendation. He said he found mango to give him the most consistent sound, that each mango instrument sounded very much like the next (and I found the sound of mine to be beautiful). It was always very clear sounding. It's dynamic range was very wide. Played loud, it never sounded harsh. And played very quietly, it was always a quite colorful sound, but not at all muddy.

There are those who claim mango has a tenancy to fail (to split or crack). It must happen, but some of the most reputable luthiers use it and stand by their mango instruments. Pono is owned and operated by the makers of Ko'Olau ukuleles, a builder with unimpeachable reputation. I doubt you will find anyone who claims they will not make sure you are very happy with any Pono you buy. Possibly the best customer service in the business. I say buy with confidence.

According to Mya Moe's site, mango's sound is on the warm side of the "warm to bright" scale, but closer to the middle than koa. This is a range I personally find quite pleasing. I had a Mya Moe with mango top, back, and sides. It was a wonderful instrument. I bought it on Gordon Mayer's strong recommendation. He said he found mango to give him the most consistent sound, that each mango instrument sounded very much like the next (and I found the sound of mine to be beautiful). It was always very clear sounding. It's dynamic range was very wide. Played loud, it never sounded harsh. And played very quietly, it was always a quite colorful sound, but not at all muddy.

There are those who claim mango has a tenancy to fail (to split or crack). It must happen, but some of the most reputable luthiers use it and stand by their mango instruments. Pono is owned and operated by the makers of Ko'Olau ukuleles, a builder with unimpeachable reputation. I doubt you will find anyone who claims they will not make sure you are very happy with any Pono you buy. Possibly the best customer service in the business. I say buy with confidence.

thanks for the comment . sounds like its worth to have a go for the mango one, but is it less sustain than other wood? they got that satin finished and the grossy one as well, does the finishing affects the quality of the sound? thanks~~

Sustain will be fine on a mango Pono, and I think the finish is just a matter of taste. I think Pono gloss and satin finishes are similar in thickness (the only important factor).

From what I can tell, the type of finish does make a difference. Satin tends to sound open and "woody", whereas Gloss produces a more focussed, bell-like sound. Both are nice. I suspect that from the two models you are looking at, Mahogany might have a little more sustain.

I played a new Pono MGT at HMS yesterday.....it sounded deeper and warmer than the Pono MT that was right next to it.....if I had to chose I would take the MGT....:)

the new Pono's have fretboard binding now...hard to see but I think they are using Rosewood....something like how Ko'Aloha binds their fretboards....

Top Bottom