Song Help Request Honey's Latin Strum

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I stumbled across Honey's (from Bosco and Honey) wonderful Latin strum tonight for the first time. She imitates the Latin percussion güiro sound. I get that, but I'm suddenly confused figuring this out in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLW9ENpaPls&feature=player_detailpage#t=140

Here are her chords:
Gm Dm A7 Dm D7 Db7
0231 2210 0100 2210 2223 1112

Her technique:

1. Thumb down across all strings
2. Slide with index finger, inward nail down from the 9th fret towards the sound hole
3. Slide lightly up at the tail end
4. Thumb down across all strings

5. Tap ring finger on sound board (golpe in Flamenco)
6. Tap middle finger on sound board
7. Thumb down across all strings
8. Index finger up across all strings

Something is just not working and I don't know why.

Any ideas?

Gracias!

Pedro

That's the sound of her fingernail clicking against the frets as she runs her finger down the fretboard. You would need a good strong nail for that one, I think.

That's the sound of her fingernail clicking against the frets as she runs her finger down the fretboard. You would need a good strong nail for that one, I think.

Actually, the fingernail part is a piece of cake. That's not my issue. I even worked out another way to do that easier. I just can't get the whole picture.

Petey

There's a way to slow that down, I just don't know how to do it.

I figured it out. It's a question of precise rhythm and there was no 3rd stroke (step 3).

2. Slide down deliberately slowish with index finger's nail inward, from the 9th fret towards the sound hole
3. This is merely a rhythmic placeholder (the key is to properly time steps 1,2,4)
4. Thumb down across all strings (or just the 4th string)

5. Tap ring finger nail on sound board right away (golpe in Flamenco) below the sound hole
6. Tap middle finger nail on sound board below the sound hole

This is great. I will now be able to write my ukulele tune about "quesadillas" and film how to make one. hehe

Petey

Last edited:
Those immortal words...practice practice practice...!
Cheers!

Indeed, but I would add it's more listen, listen, listen (to the rhythm). It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing (very good uke advice). :cool:

Yeah, I finally cracked Honey's uke strumming pattern learned in Japan, but I had a worse time with the amazing Emmanuel Lopez from France and his Rumba Flamenca. Yes, he lays it out well in his vid... but it was once again listen, listen, listen (to the rhythm) despite his detailed strokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld417DJo6NI

He states in French (YouTube info page) that he can't explain how he does his right-hand strumming technique. Thus, don't bother him. That guy is one of the best uke players I've ever seen. However, this Honey Latin strum challenge made me think back to the rumba flamenca of his. It was exactly the same thing. hehe I'm glad I can share it with other uke players!

Petey

I figured it out. It's a question of precise rhythm and there was no 3rd stroke (step 3).

2. Slide down deliberately slowish with index finger's inward nail, from the 9th fret towards the sound hole
3. This is merely a rhythmic placeholder
4. Thumb down across all strings

5. Tap ring finger nail on sound board right away (golpe in Flamenco)
6. Tap middle finger nail on sound board

This is great. I will now be able to write my ukulele tune about "quesadillas" and film how to make one. hehe

Petey

Thank you fr sharing this amazing technique! Look forward to see the "recipe"!

@bonesigh: Thanks for sharing your video. The only difference I noticed from my steps is that you seem to play just the 4th string (G) and let it ring out before you tap on the soundboard like a nice drone. I think I like your version better! Though, I still prefer to tap with the ring finger then index finger.

@chefuke: I started work on my quesadilla song this morning while trying to get this technique down. I should be ready for a cooking quesadillas and uke video in about two weeks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom