Whats your favorite tuning machine?

My favorite tuner ever is a Seiko tuner/metronome that I bought a long time ago. Most accurate thing I've ever used to tune with. They aren't made anymore, so I rarely use it, but it is wonderful.

The tuners on the uke: I'm kinda getting used to my old type friction tuners on my favorite uke. My buddy Tammy's dulcimer has planetary tuners, I love em!

The tuner I clamp on my headstock: my strobe tuner.
2nd choice: my piano, it never goes out of tune

Not being a smartass, I just wans't sure which kind of tuners you meant....

Seconding the Gotoh UPTs.

For those unfamiliar with the term "tuning machine" - it's the tuners you turn to tighten or loosen the strings, not the device you use to check if your strings are in tune. Also called machine heads, gear heads, tuning keys, or pegs (and probably a couple others I've forgotten or never heard)... and tuners, which only confuses things more as that is used for both the keys and the device. Clear as mud? Then my work here is done :)

My choice is the new shorty version of the peghed so minimalist, they look great IMO and work like a charm...

I'll toss another vote in for the Gotoh UPTs. Nice styling and the finish and precision of tuning is amongst the best. I've never cared for the boxy design of the Gilbert's. Too industrial looking for my personal taste.

I haven't owned too many different types of tuning machines, and some of my ukes have unnamed generic tuners. The Grover friction pegs on my Flea are surprisingly stable. Pegheds work well and are very light but don't look that fancy due to the solid black color (which may work better depending on the instrument). I have a uke with UPTs on the way, which I'm looking forward to.

Havent had to much experience with different types of tuning machines but i just recieved a pono pro classic and those suckers are smooth as butter. Plus the buttons are considerably smaller than other ive seen which i think looks much classier,sleeker.

As for friction pegs ive rly only had the ones on my 1950's harmony bari and the koaloha,the koalohas were rly nice looking and also quite smooth

the ones Koaloha uses . The geared black ones on their tenors are smooth as silk, and the etched friction ones on my concert work great and are super classy. anybody know what kind they are.

PEGHEDS. The lighest weight internally geared tuner in the world.
4:1 gear ratio....nobody needs 16:1 with a ukulele. Two different shaft lengths so one can have the look of an original wooden peg
(27.5mm) or a more compact model which is only 19mm long.

For those who do not like basic black, some have painted the buttons with epoxy paint or Hammerite in various colours. A couple of high end makers have a piece of thin veneer in the pinch of the button and use thick epoxy glue to hold it in place, then trim the edges to the outside borders of the buttons.

There is a chrome unit about to come into being with ivoroid grips. I have my pre-production sample. They are well done and as light as the black anodized units. Which uke gets 'em...my temporary dilemma.

Last edited:
Here are some Rodgers tuners....I saw a set on my friends classical guitar....
they are custom and can be used on ukes if you have the money....:) the buttons are the nicest I have seen

http://rodgers-tuning-machines.com/Gallery.html

I second the etched friction tuners on the KoAloha. It is the only bling on my Opio soprano.

With some of the tuners being mentioned here...and I do like them...you guys are reminding me of the rabid anti-high-end uke folks who have posted in long threads in the past. Some of the tuners referred to...Gilberts and Rodgers in particular...cost a lot more than some people consider outrageous for the entire cost of a uke!

We use a lot of Gotoh "butterbean" style open back geared tuners. I just happen to like them and have them on my main player uke. I also like the Gotoh planetaries and PegHeds, but in the end, what I like are what people want to buy from me. My favorite tuners du jour are whatever yours are if you're ordering a custom uke.

Top Bottom