Season 133 - Sweet Stuff!!

Ha! I thought about walking around the State Fair and filming all the booths with sweet things for sale as an intro vid - elephant ears, candy apples, ice cream cones, sweet corn, giant cookies and whatever. It got me to wondering if anyone had ever written a song about cotton candy. I no longer need to wonder.

SOTU 133 - Sugartime, McGuire Sisters

Written by Charlie Phillips but brought to fame in 1958 by the McGuire Sisters. Covered by others including Johnny Cash, but none with the same success. Bonus entry because it mentions both sugar and honey???? All sorts of sweet going on here I tell ya!

SOTU 133 - Ain't She Sweet BONUS

Not that I have a vocal range...but if I did, this song would not be in it but I love playin it so I recorded it anyways (I just listened again...its horrible...keep movin...nothing to hear here). I apologize for that flippin F9 chord that I forgot was in there so as I seen it coming my brain was racked trying to figure out how to play it and it decided that the thumb over with the listen here finger covering the other 3 was the best alternative! I am thinking I disagree.

Last edited:
Tupelo Honey

Tupelo Honey, by Van Morrison.

Performed out on the Morristown Green by the Morristown Uke Jam.

Take special note of the enthusiastic audience member trying to get a good audio recording of FiL's harmonica solo (and forgetting about the video...)

This song was recorded by The Weavers back in 1950, was a hit for Jimmie Rodgers in the USA in '57, but it's older than that, derived from an old Irish folk tune brought to the USA by a guy named Sam Kennedy. It's been covered by Peter Paul and Mary, Waylon Jennings, Jefferson Starship, Bongwater and now, me!

Okay, who's going to do this?

This could be fun either camped up or done straight ... Cloverdaled up or in Tin Pan Alley "Ain't She Sweet" style or ... with plenty of upstrums, maybe?

Another version of that fantastic Van Morrison song, "Tupelo Honey"

Tupelo Honey, by Van Morrison.

Performed out on the Morristown Green by the Morristown Uke Jam.

Take special note of the enthusiastic audience member trying to get a good audio recording of FiL's harmonica solo (and forgetting about the video...)

That was too funny! I have very enthusiastic fans!

It's such fun to host a Season! I love to wake up and see what folks have posted while I was sleeping. OK - off to get another cup of coffee and start commenting.

Another "Lollipop" song
For one happy moment there, I thought this was actually going to be your entry :)
I kept closing windows and restarting because I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting Geoff's video!!!
Well - it's such a great song if you really want to hear it on uke here it is!

I know some of you have seen it already since it was just posted 3 Seasons ago...but since I'm the host this week I am shamelessly reposting lol!

Early morning Jim-Jam session of a classic Emma Barrett[/URL] song.
I so love your style wee. This is classic!
As this one fits the theme I thought I'd revisit it, and I still think it is a hard to song to sing ;-).
I also had some fun with multiple camera's and iMovie. This is U2's Wild Honey.
Really enjoyed watching this one wim. Not only did you pick a great song you made this vid visually interesting with all the effects and camera angles. Nicely done!
Sweet Pea - Amos Lee
Did I mention I won a ribbon at the fair for my sweet peas? They are a favorite flower of mine. I love your version of this song pa.
I have wanted to play this one FOREVER! Great excuse right here- one of the Bob Wills songs without Tommy Duncan that I adore- thanks for the reason Myrna :)
I adore Bob Wills! And I love to listen to anything the Cloverdale Kid posts. DJs always know the best songs. Just sayin'.
An obvious choice, but I just had to celebrate one of the first uke songs I learned. No doubt more - and better - versions will follow, but I had fun doing it!
Inspired Choice!!
Edit: Yay Myrna made this our Bonus Theme Song! I can't wait to hear other versions!
Ain't She Sweet
Me too! Looking forward to hearing how everyone approaches this old standard.
Right, here's my first entry.
White Stripes! Yes! very nicely done RAB.
Ok here's one for you that plays with the concept a bit.
This is "Candy Says" by the Velvet Underground (I almost typed "Velvet Undergourd" there):
The "Candy" in the title likely refers to Candy Darling, a cross dresser who hung out with the Warhol crowd in the late '60s. Makes me think of a bad joke: Q: Where does Candy Darling like to shop for bargains?
A: CRoss Dress for Less
I feel like I just stepped into the way-back machine with Peabody and Sherman. Love me some Velvet Underground!
Here's one more for your consideration...
"Incense and Peppermints" by the Strawberry Alarm Clock:
Showing my age here - we used to sing along to this one in high school...
Just having some sweet fun with Audrey......
Awwww ... too sweet for words!
I couldn't find a song in my collection that fit the theme 100 percent so I changed a bit of the lyrics to Blackhawk's "Not Strong Enough to Say No" to make it about a dieter talking to his cookie.
Interesting take on this one ohmless. I can't go on a diet until after the fair. I'm not strong enough to say no to fair food. Good thing today is the last day of the fair! I may have to head out to the fairgrounds for one last giant Peanut Buddha cookie. :drool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom