what are you reading?

Doing a second read of Mitchner's "Hawaii". The first read was long enough a go that I forgot that there are five ukuleles in the plot.

Doing a second read of Mitchner's "Hawaii". The first read was long enough a go that I forgot that there are five ukuleles in the plot.

Ahhh, I started reading it when I started playing the ukulele. I really like Michener, but I didn't care for "Hawaii". I thought it was too long, and I didn't like most of the characters.

Pretty much a downer for me. :eek:ld:

Ahhh, I started reading it when I started playing the ukulele. I really like Michener, but I didn't care for "Hawaii". I thought it was too long, and I didn't like most of the characters.

Pretty much a downer for me. :eek:ld:

Yeah, definitely a long novel. Caravans is my favorite.

Yeah, definitely a long novel. Caravans is my favorite.

Ha! Is that the one about Afghanistan? I didn't like it either. Sorry that's my last negative one.

I especially like his short stories, but one of my all time favorite BOOKS is "The Source". I've read it two or three times. I finally got rid of it so I wouldn't read it any more. "Tales of the South Pacific" and "Chesapeake" are two other favorites. I've read a lot of his works.

Well, enjoy "Hawaii". I guess it's an appropriate read for us ukuleleists, though I was disappointed about the lack of ukuleles in it.

:eek:ld:

Last edited:
Ha! Is that the one about Afghanistan? I didn't like it either. Sorry that's my last negative one.

I especially like his short stories, but one of my all time favorite BOOKS is "The Source". I've read it two or three times. I finally got rid of it so I wouldn't read it any more. "Tales of the South Pacific" and "Chesapeake" are two other favorites. I've read a lot of his works.

Well, enjoy "Hawaii". I guess it's an appropriate read for us ukuleleists, though I was disappointed about the lack of ukuleles in it.

:eek:ld:

The ukulele is in there. Kimo and his wife Apikela each get one in the late 1800s. Their extended family ends up with 5 before their part of the novel is over.

"The Source" is a good one too.

Last edited:
The ukulele is in there. Kimo and his wife Apikela each get one in the late 1800s. Their extended family ends up with 5 before their part of the novel is over.

"The Source" is a good one too.

Yeah, it was in there, but I expected more from a book about Hawaii. I guess it's author's choice. The reader just reads. :eek:ld:

Not much to do with ukes but my current read is "Writing Effective Report Card Comments". Summer reading is just a few short weeks away.
Dan

A bunch...

...of travel brochures from the Scuba Show in Long Beach, CA this weekend. Funny, I picked up several from Hawaii...

Draw what conclusions you will.

Reading 'The Vampire Archives: The Most Complete Volume of Vampire Tales Ever Published", edited by Otto Penzler. 900 pages of vampire stories by a bunch of different authors. Pretty good stuff! :)

The President's Club. Fascinating book about the behind the scenes relationships with U.S Presidents and the previous occupants, regardless of party, who belong to the most exclusive fraternity ever. The books goes back to the 50's and also goes into the personal relationships and battles between them and how in their own ways, they need each other and have helped each other. The expression "Politics make strange bed follows" was never more appropriate.

Last edited:
Philosophy in general is beyond me. I got bored just reading the definition of metaphysics. I tried Philosophy for Dummies, I got to page three.

It's actually not philosophy - it's fiction, short stories. Each story is about a real-life author and each story involves a ukulele. Sounded intriguing to me, but I found it to be pretentious drivel.

I just finished "The Rider of Lost Creek"--another Louis L'Amour. It was very wordy, a lot of thinking, and the story's action was disjointed. Also it completely ended in the last action packed 5 or 10 pages. I rate it only so so. I'm gittin' a little disappointed with LL. The last three that I read were only so so.

Well, I have one more, and, if it's no better, maybe I'll just change horses. :eek:ld:

I just finished "The Rider of Lost Creek"--another Louis L'Amour. It was very wordy, a lot of thinking, and the story's action was disjointed. Also it completely ended in the last action packed 5 or 10 pages. I rate it only so so. I'm gittin' a little disappointed with LL. The last three that I read were only so so.

Well, I have one more, and, if it's no better, maybe I'll just change horses. :eek:ld:

I've never read Louis L'Amour before but I picked up just short of a handful of his books at a rummage sale where everything you could fit into a grocery bag went for $5. (My daughter and I teamed up and got our money's worth.) Have you read or have you any thoughts on "Galloway", "Sackett", "The Sackett Brand" or "The Man From Skibbereen"? I haven't gotten to them yet but they're on my "to read" pile.

mikelz777, all of the Sackett books are great. Sackett and Galloway and The Sackett Brand are Sacketts. There are about 12 or 14 of them, and I've read them all. I highly recommend them if you like westerns. I haven't read The Man From Skibbereen", but I think it's a good one too.

If you like westerns, you'll like the ones that you have. Happy reading! :eek:ld:

The Girl With All The Gifts

I was grabbed by the teaser for the book:

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr. Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

My reading time has been kind of choppy so I haven't gotten into much of a flow with this story. I'm still not sure what to think of this book, I'll have to see where they go with it. This isn't typical of the stuff I usually read but I was intrigued by the teaser and my daughter read it and said she enjoyed it.

Top Bottom