what are you reading?

Working on a few right now:

The Residue Years by Mitchell S. Jackson - semi-autobiographical novel about dealing drugs and dealing with addiction in Portland's black community.

Pedagogy off the Oppressed by Paulo Freire - classic theory from Brazil that's still useful to help us privileged teachers give our less-privileged students a better chance at success.

Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen by Dylan Horrocks - semi-autobiographical graphic novel about a cartoonist struggling to reconnect with his creativity.

A Cartoon Guide to Statistics by Woollcott Smith and Larry Gonick - great introduction to the concepts taught in Introductory Statistics classes. (I'm always reading at least one math or stats book to get more ideas for my job.)

Currently: Ray Davies, Americana.

Just finished: The Life of Pi (one of my favorite films but I never actually read the book until now!) and Jane Hawking's memoir of her life with Stephen (the basis for the film The Theory of Everything).

Next up: probably Jon Krakauer, Where Men Win Glory.

Just finished At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen. Ms Gruen also wrote Water For Elephants, a very good book and a very underrated movie. At the Water's Edge is about three people going off to Scotland to photograph the Loch Ness Monster. During the height of WWII. I enjoyed this novel.

Just finished At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen. Ms Gruen also wrote Water For Elephants, a very good book and a very underrated movie. At the Water's Edge is about three people going off to Scotland to photograph the Loch Ness Monster. During the height of WWII. I enjoyed this novel.

Sounds like a good one, I really enjoyed Water For Elephants - so I just waitlisted this one at my library :)

Rex Stout novels

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, the 2014 Pulitzer winner for fiction. An unlikely tale of a blind French girl and a young German solder in WWII France. Beautifully written and very descriptive of terrible times.

Next up, Guitar Zero, first non fiction I've read in a while.

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, the 2014 Pulitzer winner for fiction. An unlikely tale of a blind French girl and a young German solder in WWII France. Beautifully written and very descriptive of terrible times.

Next up, Guitar Zero, first non fiction I've read in a while.

I loved both of those! I'm mostly a nonfiction reader but every now and then something like ATLWCS comes along and amazes me... and I always try, and fail, to find "more like it."

Everyone who comes to playing music later in life should read Guitar Zero.

Everyone who comes to playing music later in life should read Guitar Zero- janeray

If I remember correctly, you recommended this book earlier. I started it, liked it but something else came up. Now I will finish. I fit the profile.

As noted on the actual Youtube channel for Taimane (click on the Youtube icon in lower Right corner if you want to jump to Youtube), this is a dedication, purchased by one of his friends/admirers, to American novelist Thomas Pynchon (born on May 8). Gravity's Rainbow. Inherent Vice. The Crying of Lot 49. Mason & Dixon. Yes, that Mr. Pynchon.

Who, I might add, I should be sharing a drink with at the Marriott hotel bar, at the DF Wallace Conference, in one week.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. It is nice to see Taimane play sitting still, as opposed to hopping around like the Energizer Bunny. For some reason I have visions of you entering a conference room filled with elderly gentlemen all nervously eying one another, all sporting pink carnations in the lapels of their jackets. When you see the elusive author who will no doubt recognize you as the only attendee at a DFW Conference to be clutching a Sharpie and a novel by Thomas Pynchon, I'm sure, that after a few drinks, you will have no problem convincing him to pose for a selfie with you. Pics or it never happened. Too bad this isn't happening at the Marriott Waikiki, otherwise I would have attended.

For some reason I have visions of you entering a conference room filled with elderly gentlemen all nervously eying one another, all sporting pink carnations in the lapels of their jackets. When you see the elusive author who will no doubt recognize you as the only attendee at a DFW Conference to be clutching a Sharpie and a novel by Thomas Pynchon...
Geetee, that is sooo funny. Lol. Yes. Great image you've created. True.

Last edited:
Just finished: graphic novel by David B. entitled 'Epileptic'; a memoir of the author's life growing up in France with an older brother who suffers from severe epilepsy. Gorgeous graphic work and a powerful and emotional story. But the imagination in the artwork is breathtaking and the story is compelling on several levels.

Reading now: 'The Iceberg' by Marion Coutts; another memoir of how the author and her husband cope with the diagnosis of a brain tumour that would ultimately take his life. It is prose but reading it is such a personal journey it feels like it's been transcribed from a diary. The extreme minutiae of emotional and physical suffering. The story is mmensely harrowing, but the writing is poetic and beautiful which sort of makes the details easier to digest. Confronting, painful, amazing.

Just finished:
The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle (I met him at DragonCon in Atlanta in 2013)
Now Reading:
The Line Between (Stories) by Peter Beagle (it includes a short story sequel to The Last Unicorn)
On deck:
The Day John Met Paul by Jim O'Donnell and 100 Answers to 50 Questions on the Music Business by Moses Avalon

Currently reading a science/history thriller titled Decipher by Stel Pavlou (quite the page turner), and a non-fiction book about the concepts of wu-wei by Edward Slingerland, named Trying Not to Try.

Next up is a fantasy series by Michelle West. It starts with The Broken Crown. Had these sitting around for a while, and I think I recovered from my fantasy burnout! :)

Re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird for about the millionth time, in anticipation of reading Go Set a Watchman.

Top Bottom