Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you reading?

Default what are you reading?

I "threatened" to start this thread a while back when a discussion between coolkayaker1 and myself went waaaaaaay off topic into a couple of works by Haruki Murakami, whose latest was just released last week.

So - me first! Currently:

Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage
    H.G. Wells - War of the Worlds
    Joan Didion - After Henry

Looking forward to hearing from others who somehow, miraculously, manage from time to time to set down their ukes long enough to read something.

I recently finished Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, and am now reading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. "All for one, one for all!"
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

The Count of Monte Cristo is my all time favorite Steedy!

I'm currently at the end of A Storm of Swords and I'm trying to decide if I want to just jump into the next GoT or dip into the giant stack of books I amassed while reading these monstrosities.
    Soprano: Eddy Finn EF-25-S and Mahalo (my "Little Blue")
    Concert: Kala KA-FMC, Cordoba UP-100, Luna Flower Acoustic/Electric, Alulu UKC Pineapple
    Tenor: Fender Hau'oli

My YouTube

Bodyguard of Lies by Anthony Brown. Next is probably Homage to Catalonia by Orwell.

Good thread, thx!

Started the Last Templar series by Michael Jeck.
    - Laura

Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Vintage Camp Uke (Birch) Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

I'm 2/3rds of the way through Hawaii by James Michener. The uke and Portuguese immigrants were mentioned in a throwaway sentence, so I fear that's all I'm going to get on the subject. Still a very enjoyable read though.

Fighting the summer heat here in Las Vegas, I've been reading "Panzer Warfare on the Eastern Front," by Hans Schaufler. Talk about freezing your a** off!
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Dan Simmons 'Ilium' (I recently finished his 'Hyperion' and 'Fall of Hyperion' - my favorite SF writer)
    'Folk, The Essential Album Guide' (musicHound)

Quote Originally Posted by Concertina View Post
    The Count of Monte Cristo is my all time favorite Steedy!

I'm currently at the end of A Storm of Swords and I'm trying to decide if I want to just jump into the next GoT or dip into the giant stack of books I amassed while reading these monstrosities.
    I have a side job working for a publishing company, so often times I am reading those books, but when I can read whatever I want, it is usually escapist thrillers -- James Patterson, Gone Girl, that kind of mind candy. Right now I am reading the second book in the Game of Thrones series, Clash of Kings. I'm trying very carefully not to get ahead of the tv show and heard it is safe to read through the fourth book since it is about a book a season. Did Storm of Swords basically match up to the third season of the show?
    PO`IPU NO KA OI!
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Wiwinani"
    RISA Les Paul tenor "Lukila"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Quote Originally Posted by aquadan View Post
    I'm 2/3rds of the way through Hawaii by James Michener. The uke and Portuguese immigrants were mentioned in a throwaway sentence, so I fear that's all I'm going to get on the subject. Still a very enjoyable read though.
    I tried that one, aquadan, many years ago, but that teensy-weensy print, the mammoth size of the paperback, and the first few chapters about tribal warriors sunk me. LOL You are a better person than I if you are 2/3rds into it. Thumbs up.

Thread Information