Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: what are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Your couple of paragraphs actually made me want to read this more than any other writeup of it I've seen. Might have to put it on the library list!

On the bardo topic, I'm reading Robert Thurman's Tibetan Book of the Dead right now (and wishing all the while I had bought it hardcopy rather than on my iPad, since I've concluded I really hate reading e-books).
    Yeah, we have a Nook from Barnes and Noble. I read a few books on it, but found that it was not a book! My wife still uses it, but I gave up my rights to it.

I just like the feel of a book in my hands - especially hardbacks. I guess I'm being old-fashioned again.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD -
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA -
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

You're old when you bump into everything and hafta touch stuff to keep your balance.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Yeah, we have a Nook from Barnes and Noble. I read a few books on it, but found that it was not a book! My wife still uses it, but I gave up my rights to it.

I just like the feel of a book in my hands - especially hardbacks. I guess I'm being old-fashioned again.
    Funny how we all have our own preferences. I tend to like the feel of paperbacks - trade paperbacks, specifically - the best.
    The only advantage I've found to the e-book is being able to make the print larger, because well... the eyes aren't so young any more!

The mention of bardo states made me think of Tim Leary, his The Psychedelic Experience is an interesting read, if you're prepared to approach it with an open mind.

I also thought of Bowie:

"If I don't explain what you ought to know
    You can tell me all about it on the next bardo
    I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore."
    Aarrrr... it's drivin' me nuts... aarrr...

I just got the Summer edition of Ukulele magazine today, so I thought I'd better start reading the Spring edition.

I don't know about everyone else, but I find Ukulele magazine mostly boring. The best thing about it is the ukulele pictures. A few of the lessons were worthwhile too I guess. It's expensive too.

Ahhh, well . . . My subscription runs out with the Winter issue.

You're old when you bump into everything and hafta touch stuff to keep your balance.

I very rarely read any magazines these days, or newspapers. The internet replaced both of those for me.
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I don't know about everyone else, but I find Ukulele magazine mostly boring. The best thing about it is the ukulele pictures. A few of the lessons were worthwhile too I guess. It's expensive too.
    Honestly I find most magazines pretty boring - their entire reason for being is to generate advertising revenue, and the advertising-to-content ratio pretty much reflects this.

Yeah, we have a uke mag over here that started out OK, but is now mainly adverts & other stuff like gigs, so I no longer subscribe.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Honestly I find most magazines pretty boring - their entire reason for being is to generate advertising revenue, and the advertising-to-content ratio pretty much reflects this.
    Yeah, I usta subscribe to Bowhunting mags and Target Archery mags and Cycling mags and lots of others, but they weren't so expensive then. Also, they seemed to have been more informative.

My wife stopped subscribing to her Quilting and Knitting mags too. She says she'd rather buy them in a store where she can see what's in 'em. I don't buy mags at all anymore.

Funny how, when one grows old, everything changes. Things and people become very different from what they were.

Quarry's Choice - Max Allan Collins

This is my 2nd read in the Quarry series and I have to say that I'm enjoying them and would like to read more. Quarry was a sniper in the Vietnam war and when the war was over, he became a killer for hire. You might wonder how anyone can care about a character that is a killer but the people he is hired to kill are terrible scumbags and like the character said, the people he kills are basically already dead. Someone has already decided that they are going to die so if he didn't take the money to do it, someone else would. (How's that for mercurial ethics?!) These books are part of the Hard Case Crime series and are written like pulp fiction so you kind of have to go into these books with that mindset. These books are probably geared more toward men and the sex and sexual references written into each book comes from a decidedly un-feminist, guy fantasy frame of mind, are crude and are a bit sophomoric much in the vein of locker room talk. They are kind of cringe-y to me but at least the author doesn't dwell on them for too long. The stories run for 200-250 pages so the stories are pretty tight and they are pretty fast reads.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 04-17-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    Lanikai LU-21C concert
    Ohana CK42-R concert
    Pono ATD tenor

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Thread Information