what are you reading?

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Translated from the original Spanish, it's quite a tale.

Started Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. On page 41 this passage leapt off the page:

"Vitamins" was a term of art used by spaceflight geeks to mean any small, lightweight stuff of extraordinary value. Microchips, medicine, spare parts, ukuleles, biological samples, soap, and food all fell under the general heading of "vitamins."

Last edited:
Started Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. On page 41 this passage leapt off the page:

"Vitamins" was a term of art used by spaceflight geeks to mean any small, lightweight stuff of extraordinary value. Microchips, medicine, spare parts, ukuleles, biological samples, soap, and food all fell under the general heading of "vitamins."

I love it, vitamin "U" (pronounced, oooh)!

Nick Cole's "The Old Man and the Wasteland". I loved his newer book "The End of the World As We Knew It", but the current novel is written as a nice homage to Hemingway. I'm also co-reading "Tribal Bigfoot" by David Paulides. Mostly because I used to collect NWC Indian art, and especially Haida masks, and had a number of Dzoonokwa masks (Wild Woman of the Forest), and for 10 years had an RV named the same. So seeing the Native culture's perspective is pretty enlightening.

As an aside I made a full size Haida style dance blanket for my ex. It was so nice the Southwest Museum wanted it to display in their NWC room. My ex said No, which bummed me at the time as it would have been an awesome addition to my exhibition list. He was a rather selfish man. I did get the blanket back before he died, otherwise it would have been taken by his son, who stole around $35-$45K of my other work. The blanket was the most irreplaceable item. It was completely hand sewn to make it as compliant to the traditional form as possible. Approximately 850 abalone and shell buttons that took me years to find and sort.

Last edited:
Recently finished, A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George. A little on the long side, but Ms George's writing is so beautiful you really don't mind. Great sense of place, you feel that you are traveling through the UK.

I also liked "The Road"

I just finished "Until the End of the World" by Sarah Lyons Fleming. A dismal doomsday adventure drama genre book but really good read. Good progression of story line, and well defined characters. Very nice style of writing as well. I'm currently reading "Tails of the Apocalypse" which is an anthology of some very touching pet themed short stories. Definitely Thanksgiving fare!

Last edited:
I just finished The Game (Jon Pessah), about the power brokers of baseball, focusing on Bud Selig and George Steinbrenner. Now I'm reading 12 Years a Slave.

Re-reading Post Scarcity Anarchism by Murray Bookchin.

Re-reading The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Three tomes of page (2,633 0f them) turning fun.

Re-reading Post Scarcity Anarchism by Murray Bookchin.

The three words of this title conspire in my mind to form an impression of a book which might somehow apply to trying to moderate a forum where the members have apparently never bothered to read the rules.

[...]The three words of this title conspire in my mind to form an impression of a book which might somehow apply to trying to moderate a forum where the members have apparently never bothered to read the rules.
LOL. :D

Actually reading the book is a pretty positive experience - as is moderating UU. :)

The 6:41 to Paris by Jean Philippe Blondel. A story about two people who had an affair 27 years ago who meet again for the first time, on the 6:41 to Paris. 27 years ago he was a hot shot and she wasn't. Now she is a hot shot and he isn't. The dynamics are interesting. It is a quick read about 150 pages. A theme that a lot of us can probably relate to.

Top Bottom