what are you reading?

Just finished listening to the new Andy Serkis audiobook of The Fellowship of the Ring. He was sensational. Now I have to get the 2nd and 3rd.
I read the trilogy (and other Tolkien books) many times in my teens but in the past 10 years when I got the itch to re-read I never made it past the whole Shire business. And I never got into the old-timey narration by Rob Inglis.
Believe it or not, I actually even enjoyed listening to the songs performed by Andy Serkis!
Highly recommend

"The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes

No spoilers, but it is a 'modern history' (1787-1897) of Australia. Not for the faint of heart.

The Gambler's Tale: A Life in Japan's Underworld by Junichi Saga

wow so nice to have a thread on books.

I work in a library and I love books.
Currently reading one called How To Be Both by Ali Smith. Really interesting.
It is about a Renaissance artist of the 1460s, and then it is also about a girl whose mum is the child of the 60s.
The part about the artist is tripping me out a little but i like it.

The book of the death, not the egicipcian one, a novel by Douglas Preaston and Lincoln Child good reading for doctor apointments and planes
I've been binge reading this whole series, hopefully you're enjoying it as much as I am!

Allan Ahlberg is one of my favourite writers who wrote for children. I read one called Woof! and enjoyed it. It is about a boy who turned into a dog. Ahlberg really made his characters come alive.

I just recently discovered the author Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I was intrigued by the description of "The Shadow Of The Wind", the first book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books.

Set in 1945 just after the Spanish Civil War, it takes place in Barcelona with Daniel mourning the loss of his mother as he works as an antique book dealer. Then he finds a mysterious book by Julian Carax titled ‘The Shadow of the Wind’, which may be the last of its kind as every other book has been systematically destroyed. Setting out on a quest to find the truth behind the book’s disappearance, he uncovers a trail of murder, doomed love and madness behind it all. Can he learn the truth about the author? Why was it destroyed? What is the secret behind ‘The Shadow of the Wind’?

His writing is beautiful, I really enjoy his style. I liked it so much I bought the other 3 books of the series. I believe a 5th book just came out this year. I'm currently reading "The Prince of Mist", the first of his 3 Niebla books. This was his first publication, a young adult book. I'm enjoying it and plan on buying the other two books as well.

Hardcover all the way. Had a Kindle - ditched it.

Currently: "Poland" J. A. Michener.

<edit> If you want to understand the present; read about the past.

Last edited:
I'm working my way through The Wheel of Time after watching the show on Amazon last month. I read the series when it first came out but haven't done a complete reread since.

My wife had collected the hardcovers, but we got rid of all of the physical books that we didn't frequently reread and which were available either as e-books or in the library. I had to buy the first few on Kindle, and the current one (book 4, The Shadow Rising) I was able to get as an e-book from the Library. The library has dozens of the physical books available now. The hold lines for most of the e-books are over 100 people long.

"Maniac: The Bath School Disaster and the Birth of the Modern Mass Killer"

I grew up only a few miles away from Bath, Michigan. A devastating terrorist act that occurred in 1927. 45 deaths and many more injured. The deadliest U.S. school massacre, unfortunately, and yet unknown to most people.

"The Last Shadow" by Orson Scott Card. It concludes both the Ender series and Shadow series that he started about 25 years ago.

Recently read a couple of novels: 'The House of Mirth' by Edith Wharton, and 'Rules of Civility' by Amor Towles and enjoyed both of them very much.

Just put a hold on "The Shadow Of The Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon at my local library. Thanks, mikelz777!

My last several books have been fiction so I switched it up with some non-fiction. I'm currently reading, "Green River Running Red" about serial killer Gary Ridgway and the Green River murders. I don't know why I find true crime and serial killers so fascinating. Maybe because it is such extreme human behavior and trying to understand the psyche of an individual that would allow them to do such horrific things.

Top Bottom