what are you reading?

Yesterday I finished Sapiens, and now I think of starting the The Financier by Dreiser.

I just finished Later by Stephen King. With a few exceptions here and there, I've always enjoyed King's novels/stories. They're kind of like potato chips, they're really enjoyable, they go down very easy and I look forward reading the next one.

I'm just starting Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell. I really enjoyed another one of her stories, The Family Upstairs so I thought I'd try some more of her work.
I just finished Joyland and loved it. I like the hard case books. Just prior to that, I read Blockade Billy and that’s one of my favorites from this year.

I just finished Joyland and loved it. I like the hard case books. Just prior to that, I read Blockade Billy and that’s one of my favorites from this year.
I've read his 3 hard case books but I don't think I've read Blockade Billy. I'll have to check it out.

Just finished book 9 of the Wheel of Time. It’s not nearly as much of a slog as I remembered it being without having to wait a year for the next book to come out.

Even so, I’ve a short wait for the library to bring in book 10 and filling in with Discworld. I read the first few when they came out but don’t think I got past Equal Rites at the time. Now up to Eric (update - finished between starting this and posting. Rather quicker read than Jordan's doorstops! ;) Really fun stuff

Vivian Maier Revisited. A deeply researched biography of the Chicago nanny who, after she died, became famous for her black & white street photography.

I just finished 'Crazy Rich Asians' and 'China Rich Girlfriend', by Kevin Kwan. Both are fun reads!

Also, just returned from the local public library where I stocked up on some good reading material:

20220303_202228.jpg

I may have gotten a little bit carried away! :LOL:

Anxious People, by Fredrik Backman

i just started this last night + seems as though it'll be a real hoot!
empathetic, funny, life-affirming, witty + w/ what appear to be a lovely
cross-section of characters playing out their roles in a fairly straightforward plot;
but appearances are often deceptive aren't they, so i'm really looking forward
to digging in! (at the outset i must say that as a first time reader of Fredrik Backman
i have immediately been very taken by his writing style) :)

Kane and Abel by Jeffery Archer, NY Times best seller in 1979

Finished Louise Penny's Three PInes/Inspector Gamache books. Taking a break from the cozy murder mystery type of escape reading, decided to start Fiona Hill's "There's Nothing For You Here." I'm halfway through the book, and her being a coal miner's daughter in northeast England makes for a fascinating (if perhaps overly-detailed) read about her perceptions of class and sex consciousness in England and then those same issues plus race in the US.

Anxious People, by Fredrik Backman

i just started this last night + seems as though it'll be a real hoot!
empathetic, funny, life-affirming, witty + w/ what appear to be a lovely
cross-section of characters playing out their roles in a fairly straightforward plot;
but appearances are often deceptive aren't they, so i'm really looking forward
to digging in! (at the outset i must say that as a first time reader of Fredrik Backman
i have immediately been very taken by his writing style) :)
My daughter and I both enjoyed his book, "A Man Called Ove" which is apparently being made into a movie starring Tom Hanks. I too remember enjoying his style. I have so many books to read but I noted him as someone I would read more of.

Try to read - The Great Gatsby. Such a wonderful book published in 1925. Set in Jazz Age New York, it tells the tragic story of Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire, and his pursuit of Daisy Buchanan, a wealthy young woman whom he loved in his youth.
Check out also this page where you will find more information about this book - https://freebooksummary.com/the-great-gatsby-analysis-of-the-relationship-between-tom-and-daisy-4196
Macbeth also good bok. It's about A brave Scottish general named Macbeth receives a prophecy from a trio of witches that one day he will become King of Scotland. Consumed by ambition and spurred to action by his wife, Macbeth murders King Duncan and takes the Scottish throne for himself. He is then wracked with guilt and paranoia.

Or just try to find such information in Google - top 10 books e.t.c.

The other day I went to a 2nd hand book store and got the last five Louis L’Amours. There are 76 (I think) of his mainstream westerns. It’s been a a long journey. I’ve been readin’ ‘em for years. The Sackett bunch (about 20) were my favorites. I wouldn’t mind readin’ them again.

I just started reading one of the last five a coupla days ago.

I'm currently reading "Fields of Fire" by James Webb, a novel of three different characters of widely different backgrounds experiencing the horrors of fighting in the Vietnam War.

Bombshell: The Night Bobby Kennedy Killed Marilyn Monroe,
by Mike Rothmiller and Douglas Thompson

(oh, and mikelz, i finished Anxious People, the Backman novel. it totally
won me over; an utter delight i wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
thank you to my sweet friend for gifting it to me.) :)

The Shipping News by Annie Proulx
Just finished “Bourdain: The Definitive Oral Biography,“ about the late Anthony Bourdain. Now started re-reading an oldie, “Death in Holy Orders,” a murder mystery by P. D. James. Nowadays I like reading favorite old mysteries cause I no longer remember whodunit.

Top Bottom