what are you reading?

Currently reading 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas. I like to dive into the classics now and then.
That’s one of my favorites! I expected it to be dry and written with a very old-world tone, but was impressed at how fresh it felt.

I love a good thriller and just finished Tell No One by Harlan Coben. This would be the first time I read one of his books. Without knowing who he was, I watched two thrillers based on his stories on Netflix and really enjoyed them. Judging by the book and the shows he apparently is quite adept at story twist(s). I found a couple of his choices for words or phrases a bit odd but it wasn't enough to take me out of the story. It was a pretty smooth and quick read. I like it when I don't have to trudge or plod through sections of a story, it was kept fairly lean. I'd read more of him.

The Stranger Beside Me, by Ann Rule
revisiting this superbly crafted and disarmingly personal chronicle of the Ted Bundy story.
one of a small handful of must-read true crime books in my opinion.

The Stranger Beside Me, by Ann Rule
revisiting this superbly crafted and disarmingly personal chronicle of the Ted Bundy story.
one of a small handful of must-read true crime books in my opinion.
My introduction to Ann Rule and a good one! This is probably as close as we're ever going to get to even begin understanding that monster.

I just finished my re-read of Christopher Moore’s Bloodsucking Fiends (a comedy vampire book) and RL Stine’s The Lost Girl.

The Moore book was really good - I liked the way More handled those moments in a relationship where compromise isn’t an option and both parties know it and neither likes it.

The Stine book was okay.

In the middle of Underbug: An Obsessive Tale of Termites and Technology by Lisa Margonelli. Quite interesting.

The Volunteer. It's about a soldier who volunteered to be a prisoner in Auschwitz to create an uprising. I'm about half way through. It's pretty good.

I finished The Christmas Town (which was predictable, poorly-written, and saccharine) and Tales From The Crypt Vol 2 yesterday.

Tales From the Crypt was the better one. At least it wasn’t written in third person present tense with a ton of filtering words.

I finished The Christmas Town (which was predictable, poorly-written, and saccharine) and Tales From The Crypt Vol 2 yesterday.

Tales From the Crypt was the better one. At least it wasn’t written in third person present tense with a ton of filtering words.
wow Luke, i am utterly floored at the speed w/ which you are able to ingest books!
(and i am very jealous) :)

I've got a bunch of those EC archives I've been meaning to read and probably sell off. They certainly bring me back to a more "innocent" time of my life.

I enjoy reading and re-reading programming books in my downtime at work. Right now I am re-reading Python Apprentice. I have read it once, as well as Python Journeyman. I will re-read them both before I read Python Master. I have learned to code in a few different languages this way (Java, JavaScript, Powershell, SQL, Python) and have been lucky to produce production code in each of these languages as part of my jobs. I went to school for English Lit and never wrote a line of code prior 2 years after I graduated from college.

I've got a bunch of those EC archives I've been meaning to read and probably sell off. They certainly bring me back to a more "innocent" time of my life.
I love them. When I was a kid I found novelizations of the stories at the library and fell in love with these modern morality tales.

I liked them even more when I read The Ten Cent Plague!

wow Luke, i am utterly floored at the speed w/ which you are able to ingest books!
(and i am very jealous) :)
I usually tandem-read with audiobooks on commutes and then paper/kindle books at home (usually both from the library) so I burn through them pretty quickly. The goal is 216 books this year. We’ll see how it goes!

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Long, riddled with anti semitic characters, as well as being both ignorant of and condescending to Americans, but still entertaining and worthwhile. It vaguely perceives that patriarchy is hard on women, but somehow feels it’s a just and moral world nonetheless. It has a character who’s remarkably like Trump, pre presidency. I actually like Trollope, though this isn’t his best. He’s not as hard on his women as some of his contemporaries.

I usually tandem-read with audiobooks on commutes and then paper/kindle books at home (usually both from the library) so I burn through them pretty quickly. The goal is 216 books this year. We’ll see how it goes!
Making your way through 216 books in a year is impressive. It makes my goal of 30 books look pretty paltry! My longest commute anywhere is usually only about 10 min so audio books wouldn't be an option for me since that's the only place I'd probably listen to one. My problem is that I need to consciously force myself to get off the lap top and better utilize my leisure time by reading. If I have "X" amount of leisure time it's so easy for me to kill that time by noodling around or watching things on my computer. (or playing uke!)

I’m pretty similar. I watch too much TV. My wife’s an aspiring author, though, so she reads a lot and that’s pretty motivational. I also listen to audiobooks when I go on walks so I could probably do 3-3.5 hours a day east between my commute and working out. Then a little more before bed.

But this is the last year I’m going for such a big number. I don’t listen to music anymore because I’m either reading or listening to books and listening to music is a key step to becoming a better musician so it’s got to change.

Next year. ;-)

I finished Don’t Stay Up Late - another modern Fear Street book by RL Stine and didn’t like it at all. He’s got a trope of people not communicating well (or at all) and, as a logical adult, this is wildly frustrating.

Next up is Beaches, Bungalows, and Burglaries.

Top Bottom