Potential instructor for senior citizens - Which uke?

OldManGuitar&UkeNewbie

Reaction score
I am considering volunteering to teach a beginner's ukulele class. I believe a tenor uke would be the best instrument due to its size. I do not know if the city will give me a budget to purchase ukes, but I want to be ready with ideas if/when they ask. And I might have to purchase them myself, which is not out of the question. Sometimes it's time to give back, ya'know?

Looking for ideas:
1. Suitable uke brand/model for classroom use. Think of fairly rough handling, ability to stay in tune, etc. Sound "quality" is secondary. I think laminated models are preferred, for their ability to stay in tune and resist rough handling.
2. Source for purchasing, hopefully at a discount for buying about 6 ukes.

I THINK what I need are tenors due to their size. Also enclosed, geared tuners, laminate sides/back and probably top, decent starter strings.

My first thought are the Kala MK-T Makala tenor or the Oscar Schmidt OU2T would be suitable. I have played that Makala, and owned an Oscar S (a baritone) before, and while not a Pono (like mine), they seem to be suitable instruments for a classroom I think. I am not sure what other suitable tenors are available under $100. I would not mind buying used at all, but doubt I could fine the number I want. I THINK it's important to have all instruments be nearly identical.....at least all need to be tenor sized.

Oh, I will not consider the Lanikai brand. Had a fairly minor problem with a 3 month old Lanikai tenor, and their customer service was, shall we say, non-existent. :(

Suggestions and recommendations are gratefully accepted! I would REALLY like to hear from someone who had done something like this.

Mahalo

Last edited:
I teach a class for seniors, but they provide their own ukes. I arranged for a discount from local sellers and nearly everyone starts with a soprano. While it may be a little small for some, I think it would be a more appropriate "starter uke" than a tenor, which will be a little large for most. You know the old expression, "you can't make everyone happy." If pressed, I would probably feel like a concert size would be best for most than either of those other two, but then students come and go, preferences differ, and in the end it will work out for you either way. If you are able to do a little setup work, maybe change some strings, you can get 10 Rogues for $250. You can also contact CraftedCow for a deal on some Eddie Fin Minnows. If you want to go larger, consider Oscar Schmidt OU2. Built like tanks and if not loud, sound decent, especially with Aquila strings......and they have a lifetime guarantee.

$59 for the concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5Xg1CUR7w - Tenor $30 more.

A pretty good deal, but you may have to give them a "tune up".....includes case and tuner. Not sure how long they'll last: http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1881083.gc

Last edited:
I agree with Phil that tenors would not be my first choice. Can't tell you how many times I've heard people here say they can't play tenor because they have small hands. Now, think of senior citizens, many with varying degrees of arthritis (especially in their fingers), trying to play Jake-like stretches on a tenor.

I teach a class for seniors, but they provide their own ukes. I arranged for a discount from local sellers and nearly everyone starts with a soprano. While it may be a little small for some, I think it would be a more appropriate "starter uke" than a tenor, which will be a little large for most. You know the old expression, "you can't make everyone happy." If pressed, I would probably feel like a concert size would be best for most than either of those other two, but then students come and go, preferences differ, and in the end it will work out for you either way. If you are able to do a little setup work, maybe change some strings, you can get 10 Rogues for $250. You can also contact CraftedCow for a deal on some Eddie Fin Minnows. If you want to go larger, consider Oscar Schmidt OU2. Built like tanks and if not loud, sound decent, especially with Aquila strings......and they have a lifetime guarantee.

$59 for the concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5Xg1CUR7w - Tenor $30 more.

A pretty good deal, but you may have to give them a "tune up".....includes case and tuner. Not sure how long they'll last: http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1881083.gc

Hey, thanks for those excellent suggestions! I guess I think the tenors as they do in my hands, and I've noticed where students have a choice to choose which uke to use for a class; usually it's nearly never a soprano, often a concert or tenor. I think a lot of folks own sopranos only because they are the cheapest they can get! :eek:

I think I'll avoid the Rogues, but the OS and GC link looked good. The OS I know is a tough instrument. The baritone I had was built like a tank, and very nice looking also.

I agree with Phil that tenors would not be my first choice. Can't tell you how many times I've heard people here say they can't play tenor because they have small hands. Now, think of senior citizens, many with varying degrees of arthritis (especially in their fingers), trying to play Jake-like stretches on a tenor.

Perhaps I will go with the concert sized......they have the added benefit of being less expensive than the tenors, and perhaps I could get one more for my class that otherwise. Heck, I'm a 68 yr old senior, and I actually find the concert much too cramped, but then I've been playing guitar/banjulele/ukulele for several years.

I think getting all tenors might not be the way to go. For some it will be fine, and others, well a soprano has less string tension and a shorter reach and that can be a benefit. There are just too many variables in people and their sizes and what fits a 6 foot tall male might not work for the 5 foot female. You might consider the Wide Neck Oscar Schmidt tenor. I had a 80+ student that needed more room between the strings, and the OS has the widest nut length I have come across. Consider light tension strings for those with sensitive or weak fingers. In the end, they need to have a little lesson, and then they should try out the different sizes. I don't think it has been confusing to have mixed sizes in a class. You have to keep the tuning all the same, but size really doesn't throw anybody off because the neck widths are very similar.

I usually have a small group of loaner ukes (2 Makala dolphins, and 2 Kala Ukedelics) for people to play during the first couple of classes. That way, they don't have to commit without trying it for a couple of hours.

Good Luck,
Lori
P.S. Let me know if you need any straps. I can give you a good discount.

Last edited:
There are variables to be considered.

The OP mentioned about possible city money for purchase. If that happens, who owns and is responsible for the instruments? Are there purchasing requirements (local vendor, bids, etc.) which control the money disbursal? Taking government money always has strings attached (pardon the pun).

If the students must provide their own instruments, then a local vendor or club may be willing to be onsite for the first class or two with loaners, rentals or demo units to help folk try some different sizes for comfort. One size rarely fits all.

I think getting all tenors might not be the way to go. For some it will be fine, and others, well a soprano has less string tension and a shorter reach and that can be a benefit. There are just too many variables in people and their sizes and what fits a 6 foot tall male might not work for the 5 foot female. ...........

P.S. Let me know if you need any straps. I can give you a good discount.

I am starting to be SURE I don't want to have only tenors!:eek:

I have used your straps on every uke I've had; they are great!

There are variables to be considered.

The OP mentioned about possible city money for purchase. If that happens, who owns and is responsible for the instruments? Are there purchasing requirements (local vendor, bids, etc.) which control the money disbursal? Taking government money always has strings attached (pardon the pun).

If the students must provide their own instruments, then a local vendor or club may be willing to be onsite for the first class or two with loaners, rentals or demo units to help folk try some different sizes for comfort. One size rarely fits all.

Good idea, Steve on the vendor there for the first couple of lessons. On the city money thing, that's fine, they can keep and store and maintain them! But I figure I'd need to maintain them and maybe "keep" them between lessons. I doubt they'd want the students to take them home. I'd prefer they could, but understand that's not likely.....so, I like the vendor idea!

Can't tell you how many times I've heard people here say they can't play tenor because they have small hands.

Yep, I'm one of the small-handed here. I've been playing for years now and I don't have any of the potential obstacles that seniors may have, such as arthritis, but I suspect that I will never be able to play a tenor comfortably. And I've actually injured my hand trying to do so!

I am starting to be SURE I don't want to have only tenors!:eek:

Sounds wise :) If providing ukes, my suggestion would be to have a couple of each size on hand for people to try.

I doubt they'd want the students to take them home.

But - that kind of defeats the purpose of learning to play an instrument, doesn't it? I mean - it takes practice, daily practice. So - maybe have a few on hand for first-timers to try, but then get a relationship going with a local vendor who might be willing to offer ukes to the students themselves at a discounted rate.

Yeah, that's the plan: Have a vendor or two there during the first classes so students can purchase their own uke. Whether the city or I provide the ukes, I'd not want to let the students take them home. Yes, it's pretty touch practicing without one, but not everyone would remember to come back to class!:eek:

I think it's essential that students have a uke to practice with outside of class.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect the students to invest in themselves by buying a uke, especially if you can get decent ones at a better price than they could find on their own. They will progress faster and enjoy the class more if they can practice at home. And people are more likely to take better care of the ukes if they have a financial stake in it than if they just had them handed to them.

Here's a hypothetical scenario... Say you can get Dolphins with a gig bag and an electronic tuner for $50. Say the class is three months. You could require a $50 deposit with a commitment to a three-month rental fee of $5/month. If they quit the class early, or make it thru the three month class and don't want to keep the uke, you refund them $35. If they don't come back to return the uke, they forfeit the $50 deposit. Otherwise, the uke is theirs to keep once the class is over. Then the next time the class is offered, any of the returned ukes go for $40 instead of $50.

Just a thought. :)

I think itsme hit the nail on the head with that plan. They're really only making a $15 commitment and have use of the equipment for the whole course. I think a concert Dolphin is a perfect starter uke for a class. Decent sounding, durable, inexpensive, mid sized, and fun, I think it ticks all the boxes.

I would probably go Dolphins since they're fairly indestructible and well-built. Mike at Uke Republic usually has them and sets them up. He's in Georgia (I believe), not sure if that helps since you're fairly nearby in Memphis. Maybe that saves on shipping, or drive on down there and pick them up (road trip!) Maybe he can get you a bulk discount(?)/teacher's discount.
Alternately, find a reputable shop nearby that sells ukes (hopefully already setup) and tell them you're going to throw some business their way and see what kind of discount you can get. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a big group of buyers coming into the shop.

I have all sizes but a Baritone and concert is my favorite size, but I have small hands for a guy. 73 yrs today!
Hi,
I just had to wish you a happy birthday. I hope I'm still playing and as active on the web as you are, if I manage to get to that great milestone. Congratulations.

Yep. I agree with a lot of these other folks. I started my seniors out on Dolphins set up with Aquila strings. They are tough and make a pretty good sound for the money. I was constantly replacing them because my beginners would buy them. A lot of those folks have since gone on to buy other ukes, but still have their Dolphins.

I like your idea, but sounds like it might be too complicated for the city to administer. However, it's probably the most workable solution I've heard, and I will mention that if/when the city shows any interest in following up on my suggestion.

I'm not having any luck doing a google search for "dolphin concert ukulele" other than finding Luna products. I did find many soprano models however. I also tried Uke Republic but could not find a concert under $85. BTW, he has some gorgeous ukuleles there.

Last edited:
I think it's essential that students have a uke to practice with outside of class.

Here's a hypothetical scenario... Say you can get Dolphins with a gig bag and an electronic tuner for $50. Say the class is three months. You could require a $50 deposit with a commitment to a three-month rental fee of $5/month. If they quit the class early, or make it thru the three month class and don't want to keep the uke, you refund them $35. If they don't come back to return the uke, they forfeit the $50 deposit. Otherwise, the uke is theirs to keep once the class is over. Then the next time the class is offered, any of the returned ukes go for $40 instead of $50.

Just a thought. :)

I like that idea and will suggest it if/when the city shows any interest in my idea of teaching a class. Such a plan would certainly able to me.

Top Bottom