Kala MGM Tribute

geetee

Reaction score
So, Kala has a Mike Aratani (aka MusicGuyMike) Commemorative special edition tenor model on their site. It seems like a nice acknowledgment of Mike's contributions to the ukulele community. Not to mention that he sold a lot of their product.

Anybody tried one? What did you think?

Oh, and if you click on his picture, it takes you to the In Memoriam posted on theukulelereview site.

It looks beautiful. I read the tribute and watched his beginner video. His voice is so soothing and calming.

Does anybody know how to go about ordering one of these?

What a nice tribute. It's a pretty looking uke.

That's such a nice tribute. I'd consider getting one myself. Hmmmm...

So, Kala has a Mike Aratani (aka MusicGuyMike) Commemorative special edition tenor model on their site. It seems like a nice acknowledgment of Mike's contributions to the ukulele community. Not to mention that he sold a lot of their product.

Anybody tried one? What did you think?

Oh, and if you click on his picture, it takes you to the In Memoriam posted on theukulelereview site.

Yeah Greg Andrew has one at his office in Wahiawa...sounds nice
not sure how many he has but give him a call if interested.....:)

Agreed. Classy act by Kala on their part

Ya, it's based off this model, same woods, just a slot head, got a cool picture of Mike inside.

Mike Upton, owner of Kala, gifted me the first one. Is that cool or what?! It sounds really good. First time I heard both Corey and Aaron say they wanted to buy a Kala (just cause they have so many high end ukes) I'll do a review soon, though it may seem biased considering we are buying them all. At least the first run, not sure how many will be made.

We all still miss and talk about Mike. I think it's nice what Kala did. And it's a really nice instrument.

That is awesome! And given the fantastic quality of the Kala's lately I bet it sounds amazing. :music: :nana:

Ya, it's based off this model, same woods, just a slot head, got a cool picture of Mike inside.

I was wondering what makes this particular model a tribute to Mike.

I was wondering what makes this particular model a tribute to Mike.

everyone who knew Mike and knows what he did for Kala understands why this uke was built...when did you meet him...

and how or what kind of answer are you looking for? kind of hard to understand what your question is....:)

everyone who knew Mike and knows what he did for Kala understands why this uke was built...when did you meet him...

and how or what kind of answer are you looking for? kind of hard to understand what your question is....:)

I took UkerDanno's question to mean, "Which particular elements of this uke are in tribute to MGM, and what meaning do they carry?"

-Steve

Last edited:
I took the question to mean "which particular elements of this uke are in tribute to MGM, and what meaning do they carry?"

-Steve

maybe none....Mike Upton of Kala built this uke for Mike...for all the Aloha Mike had for him...and all the UU members who met or talked to Mike about the ukulele understand.....

he is gone almost one year now...and we still talk about Mike and miss him....

I think the MGM tribute uke is about the feelings people had for Mike...not really what kind of wood or finish on it....:)

I could be answering the question 180 degrees off...but still confused how to answer....

my 2 cents....:)

maybe none....Mike Upton of Kala built this uke for Mike...for all the Aloha Mike had for him...

Actually, that's a great answer! Very glad they did a tribute to MGM. It's a beautiful gesture regardless of whether there is any specific symbolism in the design. I think a lot of us were influenced and helped by Mike. Most people here likely have a good idea of his impact on the uke world, but I'm guessing very few of us knew him on a personal enough level to know his preferences. It's easy to understand why Mike Upton built this tribute uke. I simply wondered if maybe he incorporated some of MGM's favorite design elements. Whatever the case, it's cool to see the love that people still have for MGM.

-Steve

Top Bottom