NUD .... Concert Cocobolo uke !

Fisherman

Reaction score
After seeing a post on UU, and checking out their website, I took the plunge and recently took delivery of this beautiful concert uke from Cocobolo Ukuleles.

P1020747.jpg

It's a seriously sweet uke! Great playability, low action, clear and punchy sound... I'm one happy camper! I have several luthier-built ukes and this one holds its own in the pack. But that cocobolo is something else... it even smells kinda spicy ;)

P1020757.jpgP1020755.jpgP1020752.jpgP1020750.jpg

Last edited:
That is stunning! Congrats!

Wow, simply gorgeous! Congrats on your new acquisition!

Beauty. Is the fretboard cocobolo too? I love the way the light wood continues up it.

Enjoy

Gorgeous uke! Sapwood looks so nice with the darker grain. Might be the best looking all cocobolo uke I have seen.

Would love to hear how it sounds.

Very cool and unique. Enjoy!

Congratulations Fisherman! I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your new ukulele. Thanks for sending me a sound sample as well. I added some pictures of your uke and made it into a small video. I love it when your 2-year-old joins in on the maracas! Check it out:

http://youtu.be/Z0AqhGApBX8

Sounds pretty good. Looks great. Building tenors yet? Also, are those friction tuners or UPTL Gotoh? Can't really see a close up!

Thanks Kevin! I like the video you turned those short soundclips into. It's been getting plenty of playtime since it arrived. As I mentioned in the email I recorded those on my iPhone not long after taking it out of the box ... Sustain, clarity and resonance are all even better again now.

What a beautiful uke. Real artistry was shown in the treatment of the sapwood sections. Particularly love how the sapwood continues up the neck from the body.

Kevin, if you ever put a cutaway in your lineup I may be more than tempted. Very nice work with some stunning wood. :)

Kevin, if you ever put a cutaway in your lineup I may be more than tempted. Very nice work with some stunning wood. :)

We would be happy to build you a custom cutaway! Send me a picture of a cutaway you like and we will build a similar style for you. Cocobolo top?

We are starting next week on a custom long neck concert with a 16" scale that connects at the 13th fret. Connecting at the 13th fret will still keep the bridge right in the sweet spot, and will have a 9 inch fretboard with wider fret spacing than the standard 15" concert scale. I think that it is going to turn out really nice. I can't wait to share some pictures on UU as we make progress on it. If it turns out well, we might have to call it "The Jim Hanks Model" and build several more.

We are just about finished with our new tenor and soprano designs. Hopefully within the next couple of months they will become available for purchase.

Also, we are now offering the option to upgrade to Peghed tuners, and strap buttons.

Tell us what you're looking for and we will do our best to make it happen. Many of our recent improvements, such as radius fingerboards and peghed tuners, have come from suggestions from customers who know their stuff. Keep the ideas coming in!

We are progressing by leaps and bounds on a daily basis. Pretty exciting stuff going on down here in Nicaragua :)

Last edited:
We are starting next week on a custom long neck concert with a 16" scale that connects at the 13th fret. ...If it turns out well, we might have to call it "The Jim Hanks Model" and build several more.
Uh-oh, I've been outed. :eek: If it doesn't turn out well, I'll just say it was your crazy idea. :p I'm looking forward to this build as well.

I think that your new uke is going to turn out excellent. The 16" scale is going to have a unique tone that you will enjoy. For someone with a good collection of ukes it will be fun to mix up things a little bit.

The longer fretboard and extra spacing will give it a very friendly feel, especially combined with the radius fingerboard. Connecting at the 13th fret will keep the bridge squared right in the center of the lower bout, optimizing volume and projection. I think that "The Jim Hanks Model" could become an instant classic :)

I received my cocobolo uke (#158) a couple of weeks ago with the Honduras mahogany top and it is one sweet uke! Perfect set-up and sounds great. Kevin was one great guy to work with and contacted me me thru the different phases of the shipping process. Anyone on the fence about ordering one I would suggest give it a try as I feel you will not be disappointed. The 16" scale sounds very appealing and especially if a cut away could be designed or even a baritone would be nice.

Dsummers, thank you for your nice comment. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your ukulele. I am excited to see how the 16" scale turns out. I think that it is going to have a great tone, right there in the middle of a concert and a tenor. The extra spacing between frets will be nice, and the long radiused fingerboard will be very comfortable to play. I think that we might be on to something. Let me know when you are ready for a custom cutaway with Peghed geared tuners :)

Top Bottom