Where. Is everyone?

I get tired of the questions on why my $20 ukulele does not sound/play great.
I get tired of the questions that have already been answered many,many times.
I get tired of my stupid answers where I say " why did I do that? "
I try to lurk, and not post but here I am again.

Here I am again. I know what you mean about stupid answers. I often times post something, then go back a few minutes later and delete it. Just because it is snarky, and I think that nothing I say is going to really help the OP. Sometimes I want to advise people that maybe they need to take up something else. That's harsh.

I'm too sleepy to read, and I'm tired of puzzles and games, but, if I go to bed, I'll probably just toss and turn. I've always had problems with bed time. It's especially bad now that I'm old. I guess falling asleep on the couch earlier this evening adds to the problem.

Everybody have a good, long weekend? It was a long, boring day for me--Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

I'm too sleepy to read, and I'm tired of puzzles and games, but, if I go to bed, I'll probably just toss and turn. I've always had problems with bed time. It's especially bad now that I'm old. I guess falling asleep on the couch earlier this evening adds to the problem.

Everybody have a good, long weekend? It was a long, boring day for me--Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

Maybe you need to learn some new tunes on those ukes of yours. :)

Maybe you need to learn some new tunes on those ukes of yours. :)

Ahhh, another brand new day, and I'm still above ground.

You're probably right about learning some new songs, but I live in a condo. My neighbors would probably not enjoy my late night bellerin'. They'll just never know what they've missed.

I'm definitely a morning person. As the day wears down, I run out of pep and zing like yesterday's balloon. :eek:ld:

That's why they invented the afternoon nap - good for recharging the body. ;)

Ha! I've always hated to nap. It makes one feel horrible--Ugh! However, many times lately I have more than one nap per day. Lots of times they come upon me by stealth, and I wake up, iPad or book on lap, wondering where the heck I am and why has my iPad gone black. And television is a lullaby to me.

Oh, for the days of yesteryear--wide awake and rarin' to go! :eek:ld:

Are there still UUers, unable to sleep, but tired of watching late night TV or trying to concentrate on a book, lookin' through the forum, trying to find some interesting posts?

I usta do it most nights, but some how I stopped. I especially enjoyed talking to Ukers from other parts of the world. :eek:ld:

I check out 'New Posts' every day. :)

I've been spending the last couple of months learning to play my 'harps that I bought, before the uke caught my attention.
This time around, I seem to be getting the hang of how to play them, but I haven't done a lot of uking in that time, & I got a bit rusty.
So now I hope to be able to concentrate & improve on both equally this year.

I played the harp for a long time, and, though I wanted badly to play bluesy tunes, I just couldn't play them as accompaniment (riffs). I always managed to slip into the melody. It's kinda difficult to explain the problem.

But I've played just about everything else, even classical. They're great little instruments. I have a bunch of them, and I even learned to repair and/or change the tuning on them. I play Hohners mostly; I don't like Lee Oskars. Golden Melodies are my favorite except one can't work on them.

Then, unfortunately, they became Chinese and got to be very expensive. Ahhh, well - the times we live in . . . :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Well, here I am again. It's 0330 now, but I woke up at 0200. I got tired of tossing and turning, so I got up. My sholders hurt (Arthritis?) and kept me awake. Ain't old age a treat? But I slept some in my new chair yesterday. Maybe that's why I can't sleep now.

What does one do at two or three in the morning unless he/she is working? They're probably up to no good at that time. I oughta get out one of my instruments and play a rousing concert--until the police come . . .

Speaking of playing, I had a really good banjo session yesterday. I finally showed some good progress. Now if I could only pick up some speed . . .

I don't expect anyone to be reading this, but it was somethin' for me ta do in the middle of this awful night. They (?) say that one should get up and do somethin' if he/she can't sleep. I don't usually do it, but I did it tonight.

It should be around noon in Britain. Are you having a nice day? It's the first day of Spring you know. The British poets all loved Spring. I guess winters are pretty rough there.

Well, I'm beginning to blither, so I guess I'll try a game or two -- sleep well, you lucky people. :eek:ld:

:smileybounce:Well my new chromatic harmonica just came.........:drool:

As for getting up & doing something, yes, I believe in doing that.

Make yourself a cuppa, & maybe a sarnie to go with it, sit down & enjoy it, & then think about going back to bed. If not, listen to some gentle, soothing music. :)

I also got up at 3:30am my time, but that was partially due to work (fixing my hours). Turning forty-five tomorrow, so I did some self-reflecting and self-pitying today too, until I grabbed myself by the scruff. Read a small book called "Do the work" by Steven Pressfield this morning that set my perspective straight. Great little book.

It should be around noon in Britain. Are you having a nice day? It's the first day of Spring you know. The British poets all loved Spring. I guess winters are pretty rough there.

Well, I'm beginning to blither, so I guess I'll try a game or two -- sleep well, you lucky people. :eek:ld:

Hi DUD - It's been raining a lot here in Cornwall. We British like to complain about the weather - it's pretty much a national pastime. It's a bit frustrating as I was hoping to get out for a long walk (along the coastal path) at the weekend. I feel the need to commune with nature, as indeed great poets often have done many times before me :)

I also got up at 3:30am my time, but that was partially due to work (fixing my hours). Turning forty-five tomorrow, so I did some self-reflecting and self-pitying today too, until I grabbed myself by the scruff. Read a small book called "Do the work" by Steven Pressfield this morning that set my perspective straight. Great little book.

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Mivo!

What's a sarnie?

I have a coupla Chromatics, but I never could play them well. I'm a "juicy" player, and those plastic flaps inside would get waterlogged and quit speaking. I never could seem to overcome the problem. I even pulled a few of them off, but to no avail. I surely hope that you have better luck. Try to keep your mouth (breath) dry.

I really like the harp. I played them for a long time. Can you draw bend notes? Blow bend? Don't try bending the Chromatic. It'll ruin it. What do you use for music? I think it's best to play by ear.

Did you know that the harp is called the "blind man's instrument" because one can't see what he/she is doin'? I was having trouble reading music with my Irish tenor banjo, so I'd play the tune on a harp or tin whistle to learn it then I'd play it by ear on the banjo. Kinda roundabout, but it worked. I thought I had some sorta "hand-eye coordination" problem, but I read better now. I guess I jes' needed more larnin'.

Well, I've kept you away from your new harp long enough. Have a good time with it. :eek:ld:

Last edited:

Yeah! Happy Birthday! I wish I was 45. I hope it's as good for you as it was for me -- "Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end . . ." And happy Spring too. Play a coupla happy ditties. You'll feel better. :eek:ld:

Yeah, JB, I know it rains a lot there. I guess that's why Spring is so important to the poets. Well, take an umbrella and "Just Do It".

We're just comin' out of a five year drought. We even had ta do a little rationing. My wife worried and fretted about her garden and flowers. But I guess it's over now. Lately, it's been very warm. I don't know why my Arthritis is acting up. I've been lifting weights; I guess I'll have to stop.

Well, have a nice lunch and strum a little. Maybe the rain'll let up. :eek:ld:

Yeah, JB, I know it rains a lot there. I guess that's why Spring is so important to the poets. Well, take an umbrella and "Just Do It".

We're just comin' out of a five year drought. We even had ta do a little rationing. My wife worried and fretted about her garden and flowers. But I guess it's over now. Lately, it's been very warm. I don't know why my Arthritis is acting up. I've been lifting weights; I guess I'll have to stop.

Well, have a nice lunch and strum a little. Maybe the rain'll let up. :eek:ld:

I may well 'just do it' - I feel the need for some fresh air to blow away the cobwebs :) An umbrella is pretty useless in Cornwall though - it's just too windy. Most people go for a woolly hat and a big waterproof coat instead.

A five year drought sounds a little tough. Glad to hear you're on the back end of it.

I think I'm going to have some tea and cake and noodle around a little on my baritone :)

Top Bottom