Where. Is everyone?

Or perhaps they just don't live in Seahaven, with Truman Burbank.

Sorry - that comment was not in the Aloha spirit, but I couldn't resist it!

JC.

JC.
Not so much snarky then as sarky?

When I was a member of Rotary I used to visit Rotary clubs when I travelled. Various parts of England and Scotland, Holland, Hong Kong and all around Australia and New Zealand. Now I visit Ukulele clubs. Like the one right there in the centre of London in the basement of the Royal George Hotel on a Wednesday night. You just lob in, find a seat and play and sing and enjoy a few drinks with people of all ages singing the music on the big screen. A great night with a bunch of people you've never met before. The same in all those other places I mentioned, you can always find a Ukulele club and I've not been to one yet that was not welcoming and a whole lot of fun.

I'm sure it would be the same in Canada and the USA and lots of other places. I don't know that first hand, but plenty of folks from those places and others, visit my group when they are here on holidays and sing and play. So no, it's not shades of Seahaven, nothing pretend about it, no paid actors, just a lot of fun. If ever you're down our way look us up. The meetup group website is in the signature below. Not so much Aloha but certainly Gidday.

Last edited:

Sorry - that comment was not in the Aloha spirit, but I couldn't resist it!

JC.

Oh, yeah? Well, all I have to say to that is...

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

I'm suprised anyone understood that . " Aloha " to you Coolkayaker .

Aloha, my friend Pete.

I think UU is less snarky than most websites. The reasons that the former posters are no longer here are mainly as Staci mentioned in her well-reasoned post. :). What the heck, I'll quote it above.

Last edited:
I agree, UU has changed - there are more trolls and snarkiness than there used to be. But it is still, on the whole, UU is still a very pleasant place to be -- that aloha spirit still resides here.

As for the long time posters, I think a lot of them have already asked and answered the questions before. So they tend to let newer members post. I suppose there is also something to be said for the enthusiasm of someone just embarking on the ukulele journey being more immersed than people that have already been playing awhile. There are so many old posters I just never see around these parts anymore, I miss them now that they have moved on.
UU.

Reposted as it makes so much sense. Thanks, Staci.

I think, too, that once a uke player gets the buying, trading and selling out of their system, and owns what they like, they are less likely to peruse the UU Forums, too. Funny how nowadays if I see a uke and say "Now there's one to consider!", I lay down for a bit and it passes. Lol.

Last edited:
Why doesn't somebody explain what the heck the Aloha Spirit is. :eek:ld:
It was asked and I posted this in Aug 2012 and hopefully answers your question . . . http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?69637-Aloha-Spirit-Hawai-i-s-Definition

Here's a lttle something Chuck wrote several years ago and yea, Chuck's (#616) been here from the git go . . .
Moore Bettah Ukuleles said:
Thank you, I feel exactly the same way. If I can't be helpful or positive, then there's really no need for my comment. That's why I've been out of the Luthier's Lounge lately. It's become sad, distasteful and embarrassing. I've been on this forum for so long I feel like I helped build the Lounge and I'm pretty upset with what's happened to it lately. Along with the spirit of ALOHA, the other attitude that is held in high regard in Hawaii is RESPECT. Folks got to learn to respect; agree or disagree but respect each other. If you acted in a disrespectful manner in my home I wouldn't tolerate it. I can't boot anyone off this forum but I CAN remove myself. Although I haven't participated in any of the angry threads mentioned, it'll be a while before I feel comfortable in the Lounge again. It saddens me when I think of the valuable members we've lost in the past because of such nonsense.
Kudos to the majority of the members here who are respectful of this PUBLIC forum. If we act with kindness and respect we can continue to learn, share, discuss topics intelligently and even kid around a bit. The health of this forum is the result of the behaviour of it's combined members. Let's keep it as great as it can be. RESPECT. ALOHA. MAHALO. (Most of us learned these things when we were five.)
........stepping off my soap box now............ :)

A lot of the members have moved on and there are a few who still frequent and linger and while preferring to stay in comfortable confines of the background.

Doesn't anyone stay up late? To talk about music stuff? Or anything else? What a boring bunch we are. :eek:ld:
No....but I get up a few times a night to make the sound of a waterfall so to speak....:rolleyes:
Guess that is kinda boring I agree.

Larry D, you oughta take your Uke with you-- maybe less boring. Maybe a lot of us should be uking during the middle of the night rambles -- plunka, plunka, plunka. Perhaps we old folks could get a new fad started. :eek:ld:

You Americans keep strange hours, anyway. When we, in the Mother country, adopted Greenwich Mean Time, it regularised our train timetables wonderfully. Why don't you follow our lead? Different parts of your country seem to operate on different time schedules.

I find it most puzzling.

John Colter.

This!

I maintain we should all be on UCT (Universal Coordinated Time) (AKA Zulu or Greenwich Mean Time). People could adapt to the local meaning of the universal time.

Larry D, you oughta take your Uke with you-- maybe less boring. Maybe a lot of us should be uking during the middle of the night rambles -- plunka, plunka, plunka. Perhaps we old folks could get a new fad started. :eek:ld:

Never even occurred to me DUD! I can't play the uke with one hand so I will have to take a seat and work on this one......
:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCiDEXuxxA

Top Bottom